Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,617 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are PCSing to Lackland and have been told to look at the Helotes and Alamo Ranch areas. We are buying and want good schools for our young children, safe neighborhoods and a decent commute (30 minutes or less). Of course!

I prefer to have a little more space than what is in a subdivision, so that is why I thought an area a bit further out and less developed might work. However, I can't find any information on Castroville or the Medina schools.

How is the community?

What type of commute are we looking at if we are in Castroville?

How are the schools there? Greatschools gives ratings of 7 & 8 for the schools there, but I'd love to hear other's input.

Being near shopping and restaurants is not a concern.

Thanks to anyone who can offer input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
I lived near Helotes and it took me about 25-30mins to get to my office just outside Lackland (I was part of the base, but not in the base)

Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau72 View Post
Hi. We are PCSing to Lackland and have been told to look at the Helotes and Alamo Ranch areas. We are buying and want good schools for our young children, safe neighborhoods and a decent commute (30 minutes or less). Of course!

I prefer to have a little more space than what is in a subdivision, so that is why I thought an area a bit further out and less developed might work. However, I can't find any information on Castroville or the Medina schools.

How is the community?

What type of commute are we looking at if we are in Castroville?

How are the schools there? Greatschools gives ratings of 7 & 8 for the schools there, but I'd love to hear other's input.

Being near shopping and restaurants is not a concern.

Thanks to anyone who can offer input.
As someone who grew up and went to high school in the castroville/hondo area, I will offer my personal opinion. My mom is a teacher at one of these medina county schools as well.

The schools are pretty good. You can't really go wrong with the schools in Medina county.

Castroville is the most expensive town in Medina county. Real estate is going to cost more there than Hondo or Devine for example. They don't have a HEB, just a small grocery store with higher prices. The gas prices are always higher there than in San Antonio or Hondo. There is a lot of politics played there regarding what is allowed in the town or not allowed. The town will probably become another "Hill Country Village" as San Antonio surrounds the town.

You can do the commute from Castroville to SA in under 30 mins easily.

I wouldn't mind living in Castroville now but the town is too conservative for my taste.

Last edited by Azure110; 11-05-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
There are other options nearby Talley road if you want space.

Your best bet is to talk to a realtor and tell him what you're looking for.

The realtor we used to buy a house here was great on all aspects. DM me if you want his information.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM

208 posts, read 381,391 times
I live off Talley Road in an acreage sub-division, known as Tamaron. Lots here range from 1 acre all the way up to 15 acres. There are both vacant lots as well as already built homes for sale. The schools our kids go to are Northside ISD schools and as I understand it, rated very well. Not sure what elementary school the kids go to but for middle school aged kids, it's Briscoe Middle School and for high schoolers, it's Brennan High School. I really like that we have our space but are very close to "civilization" as my daughter calls it.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,617 times
Thank you all very much. This is helpful info.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
We live just south of Helotes and I get to work on south Lackland in about 20-25 minutes. It's a quick and usually easy commute, but I try to avoid rush hour by going in and leaving earlier.

We love visiting Castroville and the area but I don't think living there would be too fun for the exact reasons MattTX listed. It is one of many small towns surrounding SA like that. We find living on the edge of SA to be the best choice, if we need to go shopping we can head towards the city, but if we want to get away from the crowds and traffic we can easily be in the Hill Country and away from it all in a matter of minutes!

Just a suggestion, but the shaded areas of this map are where I would concentrate...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Another question - is this your last stop or will you be moving on in 4 years or so?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM

26 posts, read 67,461 times
Castroville is a nice, quaint area that has a great small town feel to it. I have a couple of friends that live there and they are both very conservative so maybe thats why they think it is a great fit for them.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,313 times
Castroville is OK, but has high property taxes due to the historic properties (among other things).

My husband works on Lackland, and I work on Ft Sam and we live off of Grosenbacher and I-90. We live on a 1 acre property and it takes him about 15 minutes to get to work. Look for neighborhoods off of Potranco outside of Loop 1604 - there are several out here with 1-3 acre lots. Here are links to a couple that are for sale in our neighborhood...

(edited)
Forgot to say that these properties listed below fall in the Medina Valley School District even though the property listings usually say Northside..we are right on the border of the districts and the maps get it wrong.. LoL

We like it because we are 15 minutes for him to get to work on I-90, so you don't have to mess with Potranco/1604 or 151 traffic. And we are less than 5 miles from the wal-mart and HEB Plus and all the conveniences at Potranco/1604. It's a good combo. :-)

I have a 24 mile drive to Ft Sam and it takes me 35-45 minutes in regular traffic.

2406 Mountain Laurel Ln, San Antonio, TX 78245 - Zillow

12010 Del Rio Run, San Antonio, TX 78245 - Zillow

2511 Mountain Laurel Ln, San Antonio, TX 78245 - Zillow (foreclosure)

this one isn't in our neighborhood, but is around the corner...bigger lot
2511 Mountain Laurel Ln, San Antonio, TX 78245 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio