Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:45 PM

83 posts, read 69,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
I'm also relocating to SA from MD, and I'm going to have to conditionally disagree with you, TexasRR - there's plenty of 'Mayberry' like places, statewide, true. But they're also either -insanely- expensive or have commute times well north of an hour, or both.

Like it or not, folks are fleeing to places like San Antonio because of the relatively inexpensive real estate, and decent paying jobs at places like USAA. I'll miss winter, but I won't miss the utility bills that go with it.
USAA laid off a lot of people a few years ago, including a friend of mine who refused to relocate to Arizona. USAA is in the way down, and is not what it used to be in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
USAA is on the down side becuase it laid off people who didn't want to be relocated? Your theory seems to be quite off from the actual standings USAA is currently at.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM

38 posts, read 113,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4mj View Post
We are relocating from Maryland to Texas this year. We have had a difficult time looking for a "Mayberry" type location in SA. Somewhere safe for young children, good schools, low crime. Any suggestions? Also, where are the good hospitals located?

Thanks!
Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills/Northridge is about as Mayberry as you can get within San Antonio city limits. Just be careful what you wish for. Tons of kids and you'll put about 10 miles a week on your car running all your errands. Close to that area, we were just at NE Baptist and, though small, they're as nice as can be. King William/Lavaca is also kind of Mayberry-ish, but on mushrooms and with Mexican food.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
LOL Mayberry on mushrooms! That's great. I rep'd you for that one.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
Actually, "Mayberry on Mushrooms" is already taken. Visit Portland, Oregon.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,050 times
Have you thought of New Braunfels? Depending on where you work in S.A., it's close. There are 2.5 months in the summer that are tourist filled, but aside from that it's a quaint and quiet community. Our kids have loved growing up here. We home schooled, but check out Comal ISD over NB ISD. Even teachers prefer Comal ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio