U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM

41 posts, read 38,111 times

Advertisements

I would be glad to see Ikea... my grown kids love their stuff and it fits their budget. I also agree with others, though, it is not the quality of stuff I prefer. I'd rather have once nice piece than a house full of junk. I've said it before, why can't Crate & Barrel or another Restoration Hardware come to this side of town?? Or even another Homegoods store? Or, better yet, an Ethan Allen. Maybe we can get a Pottery Barn on the far west side eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM

925 posts, read 892,987 times
There's an Ethan Allen about two miles south of The Rim. As for Crate and Barrel, there will be one at The Village at The Rim. It's the upscale portion of The Rim. You have to keep in mind that not only is there still the 300,000 square foot phase II of The Shops at La Cantera that is under construction, there will also be lots of upscale and highend retail as part of The Landmark and La Joya.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM

616 posts, read 1,853,515 times
Ikea! Yay!

It's not just the furniture, it's all the other stuff that I love, like nice modernist frames and wall art and stuff.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,346,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Actually the main reason it is cheaply priced is because the products are self constructing.
Too bad that "self" is a human and not the inanimate object!
I'd like to have a dollar for every "self constructing" I've done, especially for my daughters!
My youngest daughter really likes IKEA. I have seen the stores, but haven't been inside one yet. Didn't this store start out as a Scandinavian-type furniture store, or something along that vein?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM

781 posts, read 3,532,016 times
It would be nice if it did "self construct" then when you have an extra peg leftover you could turn your back and toss it over your shoulder and it would automatically fly to the right place.....what a concept:-)

Old 10-12-2007, 04:24 PM

796 posts, read 2,757,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Cheer, it's pretty much a sure thing that IKEA will build in SA. For them it's all about finding the right location. It was at first going to be Regal Hills I believe then Regal Hills was scrapped and went from a 1 million square foot retail power center to The Landmark, a large scale mixed-use center which will feature more upscale retail (i.e. smaller retail layout) and residential, office, hotel, etc. IKEA works in a power-center type development which The Rim currently features and which they will be adding to near 1604 and Vance Jackson (1/3 a mile south of the main power center that hass Best Buy, Target, Santikos, Bass Pro, etc).

I have the site plan for The Rim. I'll post it later.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear! Sorry, I got carried away.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
I've never been to an IKEA before, either, but we are going to the RenFest this weekend, so I think we'll take a detour in Houston to the one right there on 10. People seem to rave about that place, and I've always meant to go and haven't yet.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:32 PM

796 posts, read 2,757,620 times
I am a total Ikea lover. I have one of their leather sectionals, bed sheets (they do not fade like some and are actually pretty soft) pillows, mattresses, not to mention cooking utensils and other home stuff. I would put their food chopper (which is black and stainless steel in color) against the pampered chef one (which I also own and is a boring white-ish color) any old time. My husband is a big fan of their Billy bookshelves which stores all of his starwars crap, I mean toys. LOL We are having our house built and when it is complete, we will have their closet organizer line installed. Let's not forget, and this is a biggie, that if you have kids, Ikea has a kids play area where you can drop them off for an hour of kid free shopping.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,164 times
IKEA is a bit trendy for my tastes. Of course, that could be the result of my having only gone to the Frisco store, since Frisco is Trendyville, TX. But despite my aversion to it, I think I understand why IKEA is so popular with so many people.

It would seem that the appeal of IKEA lies not only with their affordable products, but also their store layout. It's almost like going to a giant, two-story hybrid of a Home Depot and a Sam's Club. Whole rooms are laid out in front of you that let you see what will fit within the space you have available at your house/apt/dorm room, and you dont have to haul anything around until you get to the end of your "trip", because you dont pick up the actual physical product until just before you get to the register. And there's tons of stuff (repeat: TONS OF STUFF), priced so cheaply that probably 75% of what ends up in your car will fall under the category of impulse purchase. Also, there's a cafeteria full of weird (I mean, Swedish) food and the aforementioned children's area. Put it all together, and it really is an experience that you can't get at any other store (that i know of, anyway).

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
I have to agree with many of the positives about IKEA. It's definitely not for everyone....but there really is no other store like it. It is affordable, and more modern....which is the what younger and (not so younger) taste is evolving towards. Lots of retro things are selling like hotcakes....and they aren't necessarily cheap. IKEA has some bargains....and the self assembly does help cut costs....but for a price, you CAN pay them to come install whole kitchens and furniture.

The bottom line, affordability and meeting a growing niche market here is a good thing. This isn't meant to compete with Stowers or Louis Shanks.....or anyone really....not even Walmart or Costco! I think the only company trying to grab a bite of that same niche is Targets Super Store with some of their housewares and smaller furnishings. Some of the same "look"....but just not IKEA!

I had someone actually tell me it was cheap stuff imported from Japan. Wrong....all made and engineered in Skandinavia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio