Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times

Advertisements

Sonterra might be another area to check out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Kevin,

I live right off 410 and fredericksburg rd. I just jump on 410 then 90 towards Castroville. Of course I am talking non-rush hour time as I never go to Castroville during rush hour traffic, just when I am headed out that way to visit my family.

It takes me about 10 more mins to reach Boerne from my house.

According to google maps, Castroville is 24 miles from my house while Boerne is 26 miles. Not a big difference in miles but I guess the traffic is where it makes a difference in trip time.
Interesting. Never mapped it. Always thought Castroville was further. A lot of the "Boerne" subdivisions are closer than downtown Boerne. Some are further too. In that area, a lot just depends on how long you're driving back roads and in the neighborhoods.

Regardless, I think the OP is looking for closer than either of those options. I think everyone got a little sidetracked.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

To the OP -

We relocated from Plano to Fair Oaks. Biggest difference is the convenience of stuff like grocery shopping. Yes, there are restaurants in Boerne and the Rim is a nice area. But instead of 5-10 minutes on city streets, you are driving 15 minutes + on the highway. We do have an acre here and as you said we had a little lot in Plano although we were on the corner. So I don't know if you want to give Boerne a look or not. Boerne and Fair Oaks have a small town feel....not like Plano at all.

Castroville is about the same - very small town feel and probably not what you are looking for. (But I've never lived there)

Stone Oak area is most like Plano, but the traffic is horrible (IMO). I know people will tell you that it is getting better, etc etc but I'm skeptical. Every time I go over there I go nuts over the traffic. But they have a Supertarget, lotsa retail, and a very similar feel to Plano. But again, things seem to be centered around the freeway and not nice wide city streets.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-18-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 05:04 PM
DBF DBF started this thread

78 posts, read 186,379 times
Thanks for info...or at least most of it 88TXAggie - that is a helpful comparison from the Plano perspective. I did like the convenience of Plano...we have to drive a touch further here but mainly because it is 5 minutes just to get to our neighborhood exit...lol. But grocery, Target, Walmart, restaurants all within 1We have a nice wooded creek lot now but we really do not need that much yard - it is more just nice to have the view....a normal lot is fine. From what others have said too I looked at the Inwood/Deerfield area - that seems good location-wise but not many houses with 3 car garages or are very new or 4,000 SF. Still want to have a relatively easy commute to work form DH on Broadway. 88TXAggie - how did you find the costs vs Plano? We lived just north of Legacy off of Coit - Estates of Forest Creek for most of our time in Plano.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM

501 posts, read 949,090 times
Have you tried Northwoods? Oak Park?

Further north, Cibolo Canyons, Encino Ridge, etc.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Have you tried Northwoods? Oak Park?

Further north, Cibolo Canyons, Encino Ridge, etc.
Although I'm usually one of the first to recommend northwood or oakpark, they aren't the right neighborhoods, either too old or too expensive for the new construction. I do still recommend oakwell farms for the age, price and location.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
MOD Note:

This thread was started by the OP for answers - not for argumentative posts between any of you!

Stay on Topic -
Likely relo to SA - would love help on areas

Per the Terms of Service (TOS)

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

BACK to Topic!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 AM

DBF - We were smack in the middle of Plano, across the creek from Carlisle Elementary and the dog park. We went up in price, but that was to get into Fair Oaks and Boerne ISD, a newer house, and more land. There are comparable neighborhoods (in terms of price, lot size, and "feel") to Plano....it isn't like everything here is a step up. Schools were a priority for us; when we moved our boys were entering K and 4th grade.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 AM

Oh, and a general heads up...the only grocery store in town is HEB. No Kroger, Tom Thumb/Randalls, nada. There are a FEW SuperTargets - like 2 - on my side of SA - and that means within 30 minutes of my house. One Central Market (might be 2 now) at least 30 minutes away, 2 Whole Foods, again quite a drive from me, and one Sprouts. That was as hard to get used to as the distances and freeway driving.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM
DBF DBF started this thread

78 posts, read 186,379 times
Thanks 88TXAggie - we were not too far from you. We were in the Mathews Elementary neighborhood and my boys went to Schimelpfenig middle school. Ugh to grocery stores...I liked Tom Thumb, Walmart and Kroger - all were very close as well as Sprouts. Did love Whole Foods and Central Market as well as Costco. I did see a Trader Joe's opened up. Right now it is about 10-15 minutes to grocery stores which drives me nuts. Well I think I am going for a visit in Dec when my husband is there for work....will drive around - sometimes that helps. We looked at 65 houses in 4 different areas here in the Charlotte area before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio