U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 64,850 times

Advertisements

As a Dallas native, I love it. It's modern and always active. However, upon seeing my family in Lubbock, I was told that San Antonio is better to live in. Even asking Lubbockites around town, I get the same answer. I have never been to San Antonio so I can't really say anything negative about it. This is my first time straying from the Dallas forum, but I want to know, is it as great as everyone says? Does it trump Dallas? Any info, pros and cons, pics and details would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I can be convinced to leave The big D.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,066,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Fox View Post
As a Dallas native, I love it. It's modern and always active. However, upon seeing my family in Lubbock, I was told that San Antonio is better to live in. Even asking Lubbockites around town, I get the same answer. I have never been to San Antonio so I can't really say anything negative about it. This is my first time straying from the Dallas forum, but I want to know, is it as great as everyone says? Does it trump Dallas? Any info, pros and cons, pics and details would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I can be convinced to leave The big D.
Stay where you are. I grew up with a buddy since second grade. His sister moved to Dallas and when he got old enough he moved to go to college there. He never came back. I moved to Dallas and lived there awhile but I didn't like it. Not for me. I like Dallas. Nothing wrong with it at all. I helped my sister move there in the early seventies. She met her husband and they live in Sugarland now. She liked Dallas just fine. He found a job in Sugarland. I got another sister that went to college in San Marcos and married a guy who lived in the Midland Odessa area. The oil business was booming back then (seventies) but when it went bust they moved to Lubbock and opened a restaurant. The restaurant (J&M Bar-B-Que) is still there but they sold it a long time ago. They live on a ranch in Afton. Her husband works for FIMA last time I heard.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,978,006 times
I am from DFW but have been living in SA for five years now. Honestly both have pros and cons. I love both cities. Is there a reason you are looking at SA over Dallas?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,325,676 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: rude & off-topic

Dallas is Dallas. San Antonio is San Antonio. Two different cities, ways of life, etc. Most of us live here because we like it... Those who don't usually leave Moderator cut: rude & off-topic

BN

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-12-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM

14,603 posts, read 31,102,271 times
I lived in SA for over 25 years, now live in Dallas (the godawful suburbs--according to *this place*) and I agree with mamatotex97 that there are pros and cons to both places. San Antonio is basically one large, laid out city. Dallas is huge, with suburb after suburb that just sort of seamlessly blend into one another. San Antonio is not ethnically diverse, not compared to Dallas, and I don't care what anyone on the SA Forum says. It just isn't. Flame away. Dallas has a lot more unique shops and restaurants but like SA, it is also overrun with chains. There's just A LOT going on up here. San Antonio is still growing. Dallas has a higher cost of living (sorry, I have no link for you, just take my word for it or don't). Dallas also gets hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Again, no stats for you so anyone who cares to argue, feel free. It won't faze me. LOL

You need to visit both and see which city suits you better. We are quite happy up here, but if the job took us back to San Antonio, we would be just as happy.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 64,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I lived in SA for over 25 years, now live in Dallas (the godawful suburbs--according to *this place*) and I agree with mamatotex97 that there are pros and cons to both places. San Antonio is basically one large, laid out city. Dallas is huge, with suburb after suburb that just sort of seamlessly blend into one another. San Antonio is not ethnically diverse, not compared to Dallas, and I don't care what anyone on the SA Forum says. It just isn't. Flame away. Dallas has a lot more unique shops and restaurants but like SA, it is also overrun with chains. There's just A LOT going on up here. San Antonio is still growing. Dallas has a higher cost of living (sorry, I have no link for you, just take my word for it or don't). Dallas also gets hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Again, no stats for you so anyone who cares to argue, feel free. It won't faze me. LOL

You need to visit both and see which city suits you better. We are quite happy up here, but if the job took us back to San Antonio, we would be just as happy.

Thank you so much! Moderator cut: orphaned I guess I got all the info I needed..... just stay in Dallas.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-12-2012 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - posts referred to have been removed

Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM

5,605 posts, read 6,384,238 times
Dallas over San Antonio in my opinion. I agree with Sapphire that there is a lot more going on in Dallas than SA.

I like SA but it is rather bland in comparison to Dallas or Houston. Some people like it that way. Sometimes I do but at other times I find myself wanting to get out for the weekend. It all depends on what you look for I suppose.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,325,676 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! U did what no one else did. You answered a simple topic. You were the only one that didn't trash the new guy. Thank you for that. I guess I got all the info I needed..... just stay in Dallas. No more posts needed in this thread. I asked for info on a forum that is supposed to be an information site about cities, (city- DATA) and got talked to like I was an idiot. I didn't join the forum for that. I don't feel very welcome so just take me off this site and lock this thread. I will talk about cities with people who love where they live like I do. Obviously people here just want to make new people feel crappy. Thank you all, and good night.

Let me clarify something: This isn't a simple topic with a simple answer. You asked to be convinced using a plethora of pictures, experiences, etc. You wanted us to, figuratively, roll out the red carpet and tell you just how much better San Antonio is than Dallas. That's just destined to end badly around here. Both cities are totally different and both are worthwhile for living in.

What I said was correct: We live here because we enjoy it. There's a search function available that can easily let you know why most of us enjoy San Antonio based on previous posts... You weren't talked to like an idiot: You were talked to like an adult by an adult. If you cannot take a little prodding on an anonymous internet message board (or think about how you say things before you post them) then perhaps you shouldn't be posting to begin with.

I did, however, love your dramatic exit cue. Only Gloria Swanson could have done it better.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio