Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

After an 86 year run under different ownership Handy Andy's remaining stores are now Arlan's Markets. Six remaining stores in San Antonio and one each in New Braunfels, Schertz and Seguin are now under new ownership.

Read more: Handy Andy's 6 area stores change hands - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
After an 86 year run under different ownership Handy Andy's remaining stores are now Arlan's Markets. Six remaining stores in San Antonio and one each in New Braunfels, Schertz and Seguin are now under new ownership.

Read more: Handy Andy's 6 area stores change hands - San Antonio Express-News
I guess we should talk about our memories of Handy Andy although most of them are posted in other threads. I remember when Handy Andy was there on Fred. road before Wonderland. We played on the hills that became I-10. I remember the way they would decorate for Rodeo. They made the store look like a fort apache or something with booths and silly jokes. I remember one. It was labeled Meat Tenderizer. When I walked up and looked in it was a pair of those wind-up false teeth! They had these booths everywhere. They also had a table full of comic books that kids could read while mom and dad shopped. We would pull Superman comics off the racks and sit and read them while waiting for the rest of the mall to open--oh yes--Handy Andy opened at eight. The rest of the mall except for Sommers opened at ten. This was summer time and weekends when we didn't have school. I remember when I wanted a DUNCAN IMPERIAL YOYO but couldn't afford the price (99 cents). I found one out of the box and the manager let me have it for 50 cents! I will never forget that. I might still have it somewhere!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,116 times
We used to frequent the Handy Andys on Austin Highway, Walzem, and N. New Braunfels & Nacogdoches when I was a kid. I think the one on Nacogdoches was one of the first supermarkets in SA to have a gourmet delicatessen and an expanded wine section. I spent many a time selling empty soda bottles at the courtesy booth so I could buy a Matchbox or Hot Wheels car. Great memories from a simpler time.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 25,806 times
Oh wow, I really wasn't aware there were still Handy Andy locations open. The one my parents and I would shop at would be the location at Rigsby and W.W.White. I used to sit around the magazine area and read the magazines or play the arcade games they had set up at the front of the store. Also sometimes if I felt adventurous I'd exit out the side door to walk through the rest of Dellcrest Plaza to go look at Winn's and Record Rendezvous.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
The one I grew up on was at the Las Palmas shopping center.....God bless that little pig and all he did for this family growing up......

Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
There was one here on Culebra outside 410 when I first moved here. Some very odd memories of that place both good and bad. More than anything it just reminds me of a good time in my life even if they werent specifically a part of it.

Have to agree with the previous poster who said they didnt know they were still around. I knew there was one but thought it was independent from the original stores.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM

A stroll back to a simpler way of life and times in San Antonio...thinking back to the 5&Dime, Joske's and Handy Andy at Las Palmas Shopping Center...the little farris wheel out front, somewhere to buy goldfish and babychicks near Easter....yes, the were dyed different colors....don't be hating...we would go out to the street in front of the house where the asphalt met the curb with a butter knife and dig up June bugs for them to eat...they LOVED them.....ours were happy and the center of our world back in the day. I so remember sitting in the front yard, all the parents in webbed lawn chairs and we all drank from the aluminum neon colored tumblers while us kids skated and ate koolaid pops made with the tupperware frozen pop set.....and running inside to take a bath because you were sooooooo itchy from rolling in the grass down the hill. WONDERFUL childhood memories for sure.....

Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
The one I grew up on was at the Las Palmas shopping center.....God bless that little pig and all he did for this family growing up......
Thanks! I forgot. Around Halloween the brown grocery bags had a Handy Andy mask on it. I never wanted to Trick or Treat as a Handy Andy but I liked the idea. I wonder if HEB or Walmart ever thought of that?

Last edited by Dwangle; 11-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: I got these grocery stores mixed up. I think Piggly Wiggly did it to but that would be a different thread.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Thanks! I forgot. Around Halloween the brown grocery bags had a Handy Andy mask on it. I never wanted to Trick or Treat as a Handy Andy but I liked the idea. I wonder if HEB or Walmart ever thought of that?
Wow...you are right..now that I think about it I think it WAS a Piggly Wiggly...not Handy Andy....he was the little bald guy with glasses, right??? You know, they say the MIND is the first to go....LOL

Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
A stroll back to a simpler way of life and times in San Antonio...thinking back to the 5&Dime, Joske's and Handy Andy at Las Palmas Shopping Center...the little farris wheel out front, somewhere to buy goldfish and babychicks near Easter....yes, the were dyed different colors....don't be hating...we would go out to the street in front of the house where the asphalt met the curb with a butter knife and dig up June bugs for them to eat...they LOVED them.....ours were happy and the center of our world back in the day. I so remember sitting in the front yard, all the parents in webbed lawn chairs and we all drank from the aluminum neon colored tumblers while us kids skated and ate koolaid pops made with the tupperware frozen pop set.....and running inside to take a bath because you were sooooooo itchy from rolling in the grass down the hill. WONDERFUL childhood memories for sure.....
Good memories. My uncle had chickens on his property. We would give the little colored chicks to him after Easter. They all turned out to be roosters. Useless if you want eggs! The dye faded away quickly. Living out in Atascosa is like where I grew up on Cliffwood road off West Ave. There are lots of June bugs and lightning bugs ( remember them?) My sister gave me a set of those neon aluminum tumblers for Christmas awhile back. I hate them! They don't hold temperature at all. They are either too hot or too cold. Give me styrofoam anyday! We had the tupperware pops too. Grandma used to use the aluminum ice cube tray's. Those were just as good. Remember--they had a lever to pull to release the cubes. Don't try to lick it! Put your eye out! A Christmas Story (funny!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio