U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 65,775 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to go back to school for Nursing. I am new to San Antonio and am looking at several programs. I like the program at UTHSC for my BA. What community college would you recommend to do pre-requisites? Is there a difference in quality? If not CC, what College would you recommend and why?

Will be living in Live Oak area. Commute anywhere in SA won't be an issue-I plan on being a full time student. Prepared to drive as far as UTSA if that is the best plan. I am a veteran and will be using Post 9-11.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,350,246 times
YOUR schedule will have a LOT to do with the program you enter....some of them have a HUGE waiting list...and then there are the "commercial" schools that allow you to enter several times per year with no wait....SAC has an awesome program...but from what I understand almost 2 yr wait list....Galen has a no wait, pay thru the nose program....and then there is everything in between.

Hope this helps...know it is not easy to focus, but if time is an issue here, I would go with the commercial program and get it over with.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM

69 posts, read 126,867 times
I researched the program at UTSA, went to the open house, met with the program recruiter, etc.

Big thing: they accept over 700 applications, and admit just over 100 per class.

Recruiter told me that even with all my experience (more than 20 years working for the government), the fact I have more tng than many working nurses right now, etc. my GPA of 3.1 probably wouldn't be enough to get in.

He basically told me anything below a 3.5 wouldn't warrant a second look; experience means almost nothing.

I met with the folks about the Phy Asst program, and they told me I'd have a better chance of getting into that.

Strange stuff.

Was gonna re-do org chem and a few other things at Northwest Vista as I live west of SA.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks, Paka. I am looking into SAC right now and even Galen. My main goal is getting to be an RN in the shortest amount of time possible (without waitlisting). I initially wanted to become a PA so I am still balancing on the fence between the easier of the two--the answers vary from what medical professional I ask- some say it's much easier to go nursing and less of a headache to go that route (more schools), others say go the PA route because it is a growing profession-better pay etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,420,333 times
Wayland Baptist University (San Antonio Campus) has several nursing programs available, including RN>BSN, and an initial BSN program: Generic BSN

Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
YOUR schedule will have a LOT to do with the program you enter....some of them have a HUGE waiting list...and then there are the "commercial" schools that allow you to enter several times per year with no wait....SAC has an awesome program...but from what I understand almost 2 yr wait list....Galen has a no wait, pay thru the nose program....and then there is everything in between.

Hope this helps...know it is not easy to focus, but if time is an issue here, I would go with the commercial program and get it over with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
I met with the folks about the Phy Asst program, and they told me I'd have a better chance of getting into that.

Strange stuff.
Wow, that is strange! It's funny you mentioned that because I was looking into PA for a long time. I still think I might go that route. There are plenty of pre-requisites for me to get back into the groove of SCHOOL again and build some experience/networks at the hospital where my husband's receiving treatment. It's a great idea for you to re-do chemistry, I too will be doing the same. It's been 5 years since I've taken Chemistry so I definitely need the refresher.

What school would you be looking into for PA? I really like the UTHSC program. (Very competitive-but I've heard great things about it.)

Best of luck to you. Would love updates on how it goes.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Have a friend starting the St Alousious PA program in PA this Jan...it is a masters program...have NO idea of any PA programs in SA...but know there are a few in Houston.

Best of luck...and if TIME is of the essence...you need to consider the "business" type of programs vs state run schools.

As a nurse, I see both ends of the coin...the cheaper route vs the longer route.....

Old 11-23-2012, 05:40 AM

69 posts, read 126,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoandJoe View Post
Best of luck to you. Would love updates on how it goes.
Well, it's a real short update.

I pretty much decided not to do it, mainly because of the money.

1. I won't go in debt, although they about fell all over themselves offering me loans.

2. There are no grants, etc. available to me.

3. My GI Bill is kaput.

4. I don't think now is a good time to raid my retirement account of about $90K (tuition, living exp, etc).

There's more to consider but I think you get the picture.

Although it certainly is a conundrum of the highest magnitude...

Hope things work out for you.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
Well, it's a real short update.

I pretty much decided not to do it, mainly because of the money.

1. I won't go in debt, although they about fell all over themselves offering me loans.

2. There are no grants, etc. available to me.

3. My GI Bill is kaput.

4. I don't think now is a good time to raid my retirement account of about $90K (tuition, living exp, etc).

There's more to consider but I think you get the picture.

Although it certainly is a conundrum of the highest magnitude...

Hope things work out for you.
Understand and can certainly see the point...

Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM

592 posts, read 1,832,013 times
I am an RN. Go to PA school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio