U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:49 PM

154 posts, read 579,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
(oh, look, THIS is how you make FRIENDS).......
Gee, glad I didn't go with the "tell you how stupid you are, then complain that you are so unaccepting of me" approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 02:53 PM

314 posts, read 2,378,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
such a stupid list, it only takes into consideration 25 cities. and they aren't even the 25 biggest or anything else.
That's because it's from "25 top urban destinations in the U.S."

America's Favorite Cities 2007 | Travel + Leisure

Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,466 times
Merriam-Webster:

stylish
One entry found.

stylish

Main Entry: styl·ish
Pronunciation: \ˈstī-lish\
Function: adjective
Date: 1785
: having style; specifically : conforming to current fashion

Jeez, I can't wait to jump on the bandwagon and conform to.....

ummm, could it be.... AUSTIN???
But then, let me think... it was ummm..
what was that again, ONE of the many important factors that made me decide to (try to) settle in San Antonio?

lessee, begins with "D" ends in 'ity'.....
Dainty???
No, that's not it....
ummm.... Dignity? Nope, already had that without coming to SA, or any other city, for that matter...
Density? Nope, had enough of that in So Cal...

ohhhhhh, yeah, now I remember.... DIVERSITY!!!!!!!!

........................... imagine that... what a novel concept

Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 AM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
MPinSC,

That was a great post, and I learned quite a bit from it. It was very insightful, and intelligently written. You make some wonderful points about enjoying what you don't necessarily agree with, and gave some great examples. At first blush, the only thing in your post that I disagreed with was the idea that San Antonio is diverse. From an ethnicity standpoint, SA is largely white and hispanic. To me, ethnic diversity is yellow, black, white, brown, purple--and ten shades of each, at that! But on further thought it became clear that your take on diversity was a focus on its non-ethnic dimensions, and that I found quite enlightening, thank you.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
MPinSC,

That was a great post, and I learned quite a bit from it. It was very insightful, and intelligently written. You make some wonderful points about enjoying what you don't necessarily agree with, and gave some great examples. At first blush, the only thing in your post that I disagreed with was the idea that San Antonio is diverse. From an ethnicity standpoint, SA is largely white and hispanic. To me, ethnic diversity is yellow, black, white, brown, purple--and ten shades of each, at that! But on further thought it became clear that your take on diversity was a focus on its non-ethnic dimensions, and that I found quite enlightening, thank you.
From Harvard University's data at diversitydata.org:

Here's San Diego, CA as of 2000:

Non-Hispanic White 55.0%
Hispanic 26.7%
Non-Hispanic Black 6.2%
Asian/Pacific Islander 11.2%

Here's San Antonio:

Non-Hispanic White 39.4%
Hispanic 51.2%
Non-Hispanic Black 6.7%
Asian/Pacific Islander 2.2%

Sorry, but I don't see a huge homogeneousness, even on racial/ethnic lines. Is it NYC? No. But it's diverse, and getting more so. Import a few more Asians, and we'd top San Diego in every category, since we already have more blacks and hispanics than SD, and fewer white people.

Honestly? (And I'm not being nasty) I think you are to some degree seeing what you've decided to see. Not that there are not valid criticisms about SA, but maybe you don't realize how truly carping and blanketly negative your comments had become of late. Sometimes when we're unhappy, we tend to paint things with a broad brush without realizing how much we're doing it. I hope things get better for you, whether here or somewhere else.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:03 AM

82 posts, read 51,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
San Antonio voted The most affordable (and least stylish) city in America.
Courtesy of Travel and Leisure:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/...ty/san-antonio
I'd agree to that. Cheap to live, and ugly and dirty too.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 AM

82 posts, read 51,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post

Here's San Antonio:

Non-Hispanic White 39.4%
Hispanic 51.2%
Non-Hispanic Black 6.7%
Asian/Pacific Islander 2.2%

Sorry, but I don't see a huge homogeneousness, even on racial/ethnic lines. Is it NYC? No. But it's diverse, and getting more so. Import a few more Asians, and we'd top San Diego in every category, since we already have more blacks and hispanics than SD, and fewer white people.
Those figures are old. The percentage of hispanics in San Antonio is more like 80%. Whites are much less represented in 2007. It's diverse and getting more so? I guess you define diverse as getting more hispanic than white.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRR View Post
Those figures are old. The percentage of hispanics in San Antonio is more like 80%. Whites are much less represented in 2007. It's diverse and getting more so? I guess you define diverse as getting more hispanic than white.
LOL! I checked out some of your posts, and yeah, SA even has people with your viewpoints. Viva La Diversity!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:12 PM

546 posts, read 2,819,839 times
Well, I'll probably start a ruckus here (again). Now while I do find San Antonio somewhat diverse. It ain't no Houston - boy, now THAT place is diverse; they have a Chinatown, actually TWO Chinatowns, a Korea Town, a Vietnemese Town, you name it, they got a "town" for it; almost all nationalities are represented in mass - my old bosses while in college at the University of Houston were straight from Greece...damn, they were mean though! Constantly yelling, funny in retrospect, but scary as all-out to me at the time. So, what I'm trying to say is, in SA, you're either white, brown, or black, period (and yeah, we have a so-called "Little Korea," I live down the street from it, it's basically 5 Korean restaurants and a Korean market - WOW! I do recommned Kim Tran though, excellent Chinese and Korean food. I eat there one a week at least). So, as far as diversity, ehhhhhh, we're SO-SO (more than say, Oklanhoma or Missouri though, no doubt).

...anyway, San Antonio, I have to say, is NOT stylish, and that ranking is just the plain truth. It isn't bad, it isn't good, it's just what it is. Look around, everyone's wearing bermuda shorts or khaki pants and blue polo shirts -the same "uniform." I often visit Silverlake and other style-conscious areas of LA, and am always just freaked out by the "diversity of style" - you see punks, 50's-look rockabilly types, Mod 60's-styled rockers on their Vespas (look like they just stepped right off The Who's Quadraphenia LP cover!), glam queens, vintage chic, dropout hippies (young and old), and tasteful "Dwell Magazine" types - it just never ends style-wise (puts Austin to shame - I see the "uniforms" there too, boring and repetetive for the most part, just more expensive and "trendy").

Now, this all good and fine if you don't care for fashion, but that ranking is 100% true IMO. My fiance, who loves fashion (no, scratch that...more like obsessed), gets stared at constantly like some sort of freak because of her outfits and costume jewelry (she loves that huge clunky Betsey Johnson stuff - not expensive, just BIG, and yeah, could be considered gaudy by some), it's like folks here get p****d if you don't follow the status quo on clothing/style. She doesn't care, but it's so obvious it's plain ridiculous - she very often gets asked "where are you from?" So yeah, in a nutshell I agree on the "style" part. But hey, I practically wear black pants, black shoes, and a black shirt with a blazer (black, naturally, and no I'm not Goth or related to Johnny Cash) everyday, so I'm no real John Galliano style maven here, and yeah, I guess it's my "uniform," BUT it IS considered stylish in SA - it's not a snobbery thing, I just like to look nice and presentable and somewhat stylish - this a crime? This sloppy SA-look just doesn't do much for me. So lowest rung on the ladder as far as style? YOU BET! Okay, rant over.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Well, I'll probably start a ruckus here (again). Now while I do find San Antonio somewhat diverse. It ain't no Houston - boy, now THAT place is diverse; they have a Chinatown, actually TWO Chinatowns, a Korea Town, a Vietnemese Town, you name it, they got a "town" for it; almost all nationalities are represented in mass - my old bosses while in college at the University of Houston were straight from Greece...damn, they were mean though! Constantly yelling, funny in retrospect, but scary as all-out to me at the time. So, what I'm trying to say is, in SA, you're either white, brown, or black, period (and yeah, we have a so-called "Little Korea," I live down the street from it, it's basically 5 Korean restaurants and a Korean market - WOW! I do recommned Kim Tran though, excellent Chinese and Korean food. I eat there one a week at least). So, as far as diversity, ehhhhhh, we're SO-SO (more than say, Oklanhoma or Missouri though, no doubt).

...anyway, San Antonio, I have to say, is NOT stylish, and that ranking is just the plain truth. It isn't bad, it isn't good, it's just what it is. Look around, everyone's wearing bermuda shorts or khaki pants and blue polo shirts -the same "uniform." I often visit Silverlake and other style-conscious areas of LA, and am always just freaked out by the "diversity of style" - you see punks, 50's-look rockabilly types, Mod 60's-styled rockers on their Vespas (look like they just stepped right off The Who's Quadraphenia LP cover!), glam queens, vintage chic, dropout hippies (young and old), and tasteful "Dwell Magazine" types - it just never ends style-wise (puts Austin to shame - I see the "uniforms" there too, boring and repetetive for the most part, just more expensive and "trendy").

Now, this all good and fine if you don't care for fashion, but that ranking is 100% true IMO. My fiance, who loves fashion (no, scratch that...more like obsessed), gets stared at constantly like some sort of freak because of her outfits and costume jewelry (she loves that huge clunky Betsey Johnson stuff - not expensive, just BIG, and yeah, could be considered gaudy by some), it's like folks here get p****d if you don't follow the status quo on clothing/style. She doesn't care, but it's so obvious it's plain ridiculous - she very often gets asked "where are you from?" So yeah, in a nutshell I agree on the "style" part. But hey, I practically wear black pants, black shoes, and a black shirt with a blazer (black, naturally, and no I'm not Goth or related to Johnny Cash) everyday, so I'm no real John Galliano style maven here, and yeah, I guess it's my "uniform," BUT it IS considered stylish in SA - it's not a snobbery thing, I just like to look nice and presentable and somewhat stylish - this a crime? This sloppy SA-look just doesn't do much for me. So lowest rung on the ladder as far as style? YOU BET! Okay, rant over.
I get what you're saying about ethnic groups - that's why I said SA was not NYC as far as that goes. I think that the people are here, because I've met them. But maybe they don't congregate/live in a distinctive area as they do in some places? It's not as visible, I guess, because everyone lives all mixed in together. That's great as far as getting along goes, but I understand the wish for some of those other cultures to be more publicly evident and accessible. Especially the food! It's here, but you gotta look for it.

The fashion part made me laugh, though it doesn't bug me as I'm no fashionista. My teenage daughter, OTOH, loves funky style, and has been know to make or alter her own clothes. She was a bit bummed at the jeans and tee (or other boring top) prevalent here. Even the "dressier" areas seem to stick with the safe stuff. Of course, Charleston was all preppy pressed khaki capris and golf shirts and Birkenstocks or Sperry Topsider boat loafers, and she found that boring as well. But the beach vacationers added some cool factor more than the locals.

There's some Goth stuff here, in certain areas. Not much hippy dippyness in dress that I've seen. I can say that I've seen a good many Indian women in traditional dress, and think that's cool. I love the fabrics and colors on them, though they'd look stupid on tall lanky blonde me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or