Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times

Advertisements

In CA, if you do a certain amount of re-modeling, your home can be re-assessed and your tax will increase (help me out here TXDreamin') depending on the perceived increase in value. A lot of people avoid big re-models. At least this is the case in SD County, where we moved from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
In CA, if you do a certain amount of re-modeling, your home can be re-assessed and your tax will increase (help me out here TXDreamin') depending on the perceived increase in value. A lot of people avoid big re-models. At least this is the case in SD County, where we moved from.
They will only reassess you on the part that was remodeled, not the whole property. I was going to add a sunroom and I was concerned, so I called the tax assessor's office and was told that they would only require me to pay additional taxes on the sunroom.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Sounds reasonable. So, if one does a major re-model...it would result in a significant tax increase. That's what I thought.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Where can I get a detail financial statements to include what vendors the NEISD are using

Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Where can I get a detail financial statements to include what vendors the NEISD are using
District Check Register (210) 804-7111 Ext 375

Old 02-24-2008, 04:58 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Folks...taxes are a necessary evil and the rates are set. It is the assessed value that goes up every year. And I have never met or heard of a single person that was taxed on a value higher than what he could sell it for. Most peoples taxes are for less than the market value. I hate hearing people complain about being taxed out of their houses when they are benefiting from wonderful appreciation. If this guy doesn't like paying high taxes - then sell his house, withdraw his equity and buy somewhere with a slower appreciation rate. We all want to live in the best areas for the same cost of cheaper areas and that just doesn't work. The laws of supply and deman push up property values and the government just sets the rate. As values rise - sure the government and school districts get a huge chunk...but they didn't raise the value. The BCAD is just trying to keep up with market demands.

And as for folks complaining about the amount schools get (I agree it is too much...) but don't people like to live in certain school districts because they are better than others...like Alamo Heights and NEISD? Well - how do you think they fund all those desireable programs? With high property values and the resulting tax collections. You can't have all those programs for free...

So while I too hate property taxes - I must say that if you don't want to pay them - find a cheaper house to live in. And be glad we don't live in a 100% disclosure state where your value is based on the price you paid on your house. BCAD is doing a best guess on the value - but not on the sales price.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 PM

59 posts, read 203,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
And be glad we don't live in a 100% disclosure state where your value is based on the price you paid on your house. BCAD is doing a best guess on the value - but not on the sales price.
As of 2007, it is no longer a non disclosure state. So your new KB home will be taxed at your purchase price.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Folks...taxes are a necessary evil and the rates are set. It is the assessed value that goes up every year. And I have never met or heard of a single person that was taxed on a value higher than what he could sell it for. Most peoples taxes are for less than the market value. I hate hearing people complain about being taxed out of their houses when they are benefiting from wonderful appreciation. If this guy doesn't like paying high taxes - then sell his house, withdraw his equity and buy somewhere with a slower appreciation rate. We all want to live in the best areas for the same cost of cheaper areas and that just doesn't work. The laws of supply and deman push up property values and the government just sets the rate. As values rise - sure the government and school districts get a huge chunk...but they didn't raise the value. The BCAD is just trying to keep up with market demands.

And as for folks complaining about the amount schools get (I agree it is too much...) but don't people like to live in certain school districts because they are better than others...like Alamo Heights and NEISD? Well - how do you think they fund all those desireable programs? With high property values and the resulting tax collections. You can't have all those programs for free...

So while I too hate property taxes - I must say that if you don't want to pay them - find a cheaper house to live in. And be glad we don't live in a 100% disclosure state where your value is based on the price you paid on your house. BCAD is doing a best guess on the value - but not on the sales price.
Austin here....I wouldn't have as much of a problem with property tax appreciation if the taxes were being used sensibly...but I still see library hours cut, once a week garbage collection, trailers at schools, and $500K bonuses being paid to outgoing city managers. A 20% across the board expense reduction would be a good start.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Folks...taxes are a necessary evil and the rates are set. It is the assessed value that goes up every year....
A little misleading about tax rates being "set." Tax rates can stay the same, go up, or down. Each taxing entity sets their own tax rate each year (look for the notices in the newspaper each year before tax notices go out/or posted on BCAD.org). Usually, it is the small taxing authorities (e.g., Alamo Community College and Universal Health System) that raise their rates most often. Also, a couple of years ago, the houses in our neighborhood with regular siding (non-brick) were re-assessed at a lower value.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM

160 posts, read 629,336 times
Looking to re-locate to SA from Oregon. We live in a 2400 sq ft home, pool, RV parking very nice neighborhood and our property taxes run about 3500 a year. Our house was last appraised at 460, we purchased it at 285. If we were to live in the NC area, on a 1/2 an acre and 3000 sq ft new home, what would the taxes run each year? What type of payments would be looking at?

It seem that the housing is cheaper in Texas, but the taxes are a lot higher. We definitely would need to know if it would be to our best interest to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio