U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM

286 posts, read 351,004 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

I'm considering a move to San Antonio after I finish college. I currently live in New Jersey with my parents while I attend college. I love it here in New Jersey, I was born and raised here. However, the cost of living is becoming more and more unbearable. Rent for an apartment is beyond anything I could afford, and housing prices are through the roof, not to mention the property taxes. I have heard property taxes in Texas are high too, but from what I've been researching it doesn't seem as bad as New Jersey prices. I'm thinking that's because costs for the actual houses are lower.

I have been to San Antonio many times to visit my best friend. Every time I visit I am reluctant to leave. It's a beautiful city and I absolutely love it (not to mention I am a Spurs fan! ). My best friend has been trying to convince me for some time to make the move out there permanently, and each time I've turned down her suggestion, not wanting to leave the state in which I grew up and I love. However, I'm beginning to realize New Jersey does not love me, and there is really no justification for the high cost of living. My parents are actually trying to convince me to leave this state as well, saying it would be a good thing.

I have no doubts I will be able to find some sort of employment while I look for a job to utilize my college degree. I currently have 9 years of experience in medical billing, and by the time I'm ready to move I will have about 14.

I would love to hear from some transplants who have been successful in moving to San Antonio, especially from New Jersey. Do you find you are living a more comfortable life without having to worry about working just to live and pay rent? How is the actual quality of life in San Antonio? Is the cost of living actually quite as low and affordable as I'm seeing?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
If I'm reading this correctly, you're asking about "5 years from now"?? Can't wait to see some of the answers you'll get.

I know *one* person who has moved here from New Jersey after being a lifelong resident. He's 30 now and has embraced Texas as his new home. He complains about the heat and not having access to good public transportation and I believe that's all I've heard him complain about. He does miss his favorite foods but has developed a love for SA's cuisine. I think that's going to dictate YOUR mileage as well.....You are going to have to make the decision, once you're here, to either love it or spend your time missing NJ and being miserable. I think that's true with any city you move to, though.

Good luck!....it's nice to not have kids and be free to pick up and go. I hope you get some better help than I've given but I'm not sure what 5 years from now will look like, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or