Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

As anyone who was ever a kid can figure out, if they're using the cards to track attendance and you want to skip school without getting caught, simply hand your card over to a friend who's not brave enough to skip and you'll be counted present by the system.

One of my kids is still in elementary in NISD, and they have to walk with their hands behind their backs, following a line on the floor. She calls it "kid jail" and she's praying to be freed (enrolled in virtual public school like her older sister) next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Call it whatever you will, but there's simply NO way I'd allow a child of mine to be electronically monitored ANY place, regardless of the presented reason. It's a short step to implanting a chip "for safety" in a child.....oh, and since it's already there, let's just leave it in place so we can protect 'em as adults, as well.
Sorry....NO. Keep your stinkin' hands off of my right to move about as I wish without being tracked. Period. It's ALREADY way overboard - and with each additional encroachment, it's only gonna get worse.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 AM

71 posts, read 139,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Andrea Hernandez claims she can't wear it for "religious reasons?!?" Give me a break.
^^^ This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Students need to be accounted for during the school day. If one sneaks off campus and something happens to them, the first thing their parents are going to do is sue NISD.

They want the school system to be accountable for their children, but they don't want to allow them the means to do so.
Just about sums it up for me. Good post MM.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
It's in their student ID card? It's just to let them in and out? Does it not know where they are once they leave?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 AM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
Wow really? This is why I give up on society! Even when Someone is telling you flat out its a gimmick the sheep still won't listen. I'm a well off individual and I worked hard the position I carry at NISD for the sole purpose to fight for the kids and a speak for them! I'm not against bonds and more money for the district I'm just telling you that this I'd system was a fail, was not planned right, and had many holes in it. And yes it is costing the taxpayers big bucks! You have no idea what BS NISD has planned for these kids. If your really concerned citizen call up the board and ask for the numbers nothing has changed! But since the community won't get off there ass to fight soon all the district will have this system no matter if it works or not cause they will get a nice fat check at the end if the day! FACT! You don't have to believe me now but when you see the news and they announce the roll out you can think of this post...

Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
As anyone who was ever a kid can figure out, if they're using the cards to track attendance and you want to skip school without getting caught, simply hand your card over to a friend who's not brave enough to skip and you'll be counted present by the system.

One of my kids is still in elementary in NISD, and they have to walk with their hands behind their backs, following a line on the floor. She calls it "kid jail" and she's praying to be freed (enrolled in virtual public school like her older sister) next year.

I don't see how that is a problem at all. We had to do a similar thing when I was in elementary school.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
Quote:
Man they don't do that in NEISD unless you're doing ISS. Something is really wrong here, subjecting kids to subhuman treatment like id chips and hands behind their backs in the halls as if being a child is some kind of crime. Terrible.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
seriously ..we are upset over having to walk in the halls in a quiet manner? Some of y'all need to step into a middle or high school and see what happens when the kids get to run wild. Fact.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:47 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
You make a lot of comments to degrade those against the program but offered little to convince why anyone should support this program.

Bottom line is that the parents should be responsible for making sure their kids go to school, not the school. My parents would have punished me if they caught me skipping. Seems like lack of parenting leads to the schools believing this is the next step to solve the issue on hand.

This is nothing more than to make sure the schools receive state aid.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
I don't think the district denies that this is about funding. When little johnny is not in class {because he is in the bathroom or the woods behind the school} he is not counted as present and therefore funding is not received. Schools don't operate w/o funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio