U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM

6,253 posts, read 8,963,340 times

Advertisements

I try to never presume someone's difficulty of their work, in part because what *I* do for a living is often considered "cushy", yet few have survived in my industry as long as I have - 36 years now, and last week marked the start of the 37th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,890,504 times
Anonymous had always been part of this story and there were earlier comments made about them although I cannot find them now. Here is what mysa has to say about them and this.

Quote:
Somone purportedly working with the hacker group Anonymous claims he took down Northside Independent School District's website on Saturday to protest the district's use of tracking badges, but the district's site was never compromised, a spokesman said.
Anonymous claims it hacked NISD website - San Antonio Express-News

The story is also international, this is what the BBC reported two days ago. This is also how the rest of the world might looks at us.

Quote:
Ms Hernandez refused to wear the tag because it conflicted with her religious beliefs, according to court papers. Wearing such a barcoded tag can be seen as a mark of the beast as described in Revelation 13 in the Bible, Ms Hernandez's father told Wired magazine in an interview.
BBC News - US school tag tracker project prompts court row

Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,403,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
I think that all teachers and administrators should also wear these lanyards and a public report created each semester that summarizes how much time each and every employee of the school district spent on work, on lunch, on outside stuff, etc.

Seems only fair.
If they started tracking hours very closely, then it might turn into an hourly pay position (like assistants, custodians, etc.). And, there's NO WAY they would pay all of the hours (most) teachers work. Personally, I spend 10 hours per day at school, about 25 minutes for lunch, and 0 time on outside stuff.

BTT: Just about ANYTHING that would make tracking attendance easier would be fine with me.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM

69 posts, read 126,471 times
Planned on leaving this alone, but this just cracks me up.

If you don't "presume" then please explain what you meant by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I try to never presume someone's difficulty of their work...
Quote:
Being an instructor at a college has little relevance to a teacher within the public school system K-12. It's somewhat like saying someone that's done rough-in on residential electrical can do the job you can on commercial.
I'll listen to your reply off the air, as I clearly hear Billy Preston in the background.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 PM

6,253 posts, read 8,963,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
Planned on leaving this alone, but this just cracks me up.

If you don't "presume" then please explain what you meant by this:

I'll listen to your reply off the air, as I clearly hear Billy Preston in the background.
Because I can speak directly to both, since I previously have taught classes on Lab Water for Texas A&M. Comparing college students to K-12 is as different as residential wiring is to commercial. The ampacity of the wire may well be the same, but the codes are different in terms of how it may be ran, etc.

If you took exception to my comments, or thought I was being derogatory to you, my apologies, because that wasn't my intent. I was simply trying to point out that while similar, there *are* significant differences that should be considered.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM

55,423 posts, read 74,274,723 times
they are on to something. they need to chip felons, but that is another issue but widely used in other countries. tag them now and u wont have to chip them later?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 AM

475 posts, read 968,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Do you really think these teachers and administers are sneaking off campus during the day?

Seriously, if you had any knowledge of what a typical day is like for these people, you wouldn't post such nonsense.

I would bet they work harder during the day than most of the people on this forum!
Take a chill pill Major. Despite disagreeing with some of your positions, I think I (and many others) afford you the respect of having an opinion without calling you full of you know what if we do not agree.

FYI: I do feel I have some perspective on what some of the teachers and administrators go through because not only do I have friends who are teachers, but I also volunteer regularly at schools. Still, if all students are supposed to have RFID tags, why shouldn't district employees? Maybe not to create a public report, but at least setting the example that they are okay with it as well.

While I can understand that this RFID program is more about money than anything else, its implementation does bring up questions of privacy and responsibility. I tend to think that most young adults are responsible when afforded freedoms -- isn't that one lesson to be learned in the context of a school as well? As to those that are not responsible, well then let's talk of an RFID tag or other mechanism for them.

Part of the reason these types of programs are considered is that here we are in 2012 and we still do not have a plan for school funding that anyone likes. In the interest of "fairness" between different school districts, we have a convoluted system. Perhaps we taxpayers should be a bit more demanding of our reps in Austin instead of towing the same old line.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 AM

14,606 posts, read 31,108,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Take a chill pill Major. Despite disagreeing with some of your positions, I think I (and many others) afford you the respect of having an opinion without calling you full of you know what if we do not agree.
Maybe you should have a conversation with the educator that managed to have him do a complete 180 on his position? Must have been some convo! He argued just as vehemently AGAINST the chips in the previous thread as he is arguing FOR them now.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM

5,607 posts, read 6,387,942 times
Quote:
I try to never presume someone's difficulty of their work, in part because what *I* do for a living is often considered "cushy", yet few have survived in my industry as long as I have - 36 years now, and last week marked the start of the 37th.
Actually I didn't even think that you were doing that. Sorry if my post seemed to single you out.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,890,504 times
This story is now making the rounds in Chinese language news outlets.

?GPS???? - - 3sNews_???_?????

They refer to them as GPS chips although they also mention RFID chips once in the same article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio