Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times

Advertisements

Surprise, surprise. They didn't get the money they were hoping for, so they are scrapping the program.

Civil Liberties Groups Hail the End of Northside's RFID Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Surprise, surprise. They didn't get the money they were hoping for, so they are scrapping the program.

Civil Liberties Groups Hail the End of Northside's RFID Program

I can’t believe they thought the kids that were consider "absent" were just hanging out around campus.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,981 times
I appreciate Educators, but they are responsible to teach. If a child chooses to leave campus, call the Campus police... and oh, we can't forget the parents!!!... It's bad enough they don't allow them to wear shorts in NISD High Schools in claiming it's for 'safety' and security reasons... C'MON! I'm one of the sheep listening very closely... BTW, why can't the young adults wear shorts??? Silly...

Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
It's bad enough they don't allow them to wear shorts in NISD High Schools in claiming it's for 'safety' and security reasons... C'MON! I'm one of the sheep listening very closely... BTW, why can't the young adults wear shorts??? Silly...
If you don't like the rule, you can always move your kids a few miles east to NEISD, where shorts are allowed.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 AM

208 posts, read 379,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
I appreciate Educators, but they are responsible to teach. If a child chooses to leave campus, call the Campus police... and oh, we can't forget the parents!!!... It's bad enough they don't allow them to wear shorts in NISD High Schools in claiming it's for 'safety' and security reasons... C'MON! I'm one of the sheep listening very closely... BTW, why can't the young adults wear shorts??? Silly...
Starre...why would you think it's the campus police's responsibilty to go after a high school student who makes the decision to leave campus?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,365 times
Page 17 of this thread is hysterical! I also think Starre is upset b/c students cannot wear shorts more than anything. Also, NISD Police are responsible for students while they are on NISD property. If students choose to walk off campus NISD Police are no longer responsible for them. I have seen this at my campus. A fight broke out after school literally right across the street and all the teachers and admin watched it. There is nothing NISD can do b/c it was off campus. This is where SAPD would come into play. NISD Police are also responsible for monitoring sporting events, traffic control at NISD events, etc. Not chasing down teens who choose to wander off campus. That'd be like herding cats! C'mon!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times
Just because they watched it and didn't intervene doesn't mean that was the right thing to do.
It just means they were afraid of getting sued.

So are campus police not really police and instead just security guards? I thought in Texas if you were police anywhere, you were basically police everywhere in the state. You didn't have limited jurisdiction.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,692,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Just because they watched it and didn't intervene doesn't mean that was the right thing to do.
It just means they were afraid of getting sued.

So are campus police not really police and instead just security guards? I thought in Texas if you were police anywhere, you were basically police everywhere in the state. You didn't have limited jurisdiction.
It is the right thing to do, no one pays teachers to break up fights on top of that. Parents need to teach their kids that there are other ways to resolve a conflict besides violence.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM

208 posts, read 379,863 times
NISD police are licensed peace officers just as any other Texas peace officer and are able to enforce laws within their jurisdiction. If outside that jurisdiction, just like any other Texas peace officer, they can only act when the crime occurs in their view. Depending on where the fight happens off campus, they can take action and many times do. However, it also is a departmental policy to sometimes contact local law enforcement who have jurisdiction at the campus. So to answer your question...yes, they are police officers just like SAPD, Dallas PD, DPS and many others. Oh, and to let you know, they can make traffic stops anywhere within the NISD school district, so don't think you can pass them at 100 mph on 410 and get away with it.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times
I just don't believe it's ever ok for an adult to stand there while children beat the tar out of each other.

Certainly not someone in law enforcement or even an administrator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio