Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,762 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can anyone speak as to how bad the airplane noise is over Churchill Estates? I found a map showing a flight path directly overhead. I hope someone can advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM

13 posts, read 27,798 times
Subdivision is just a few miles from the airport and many flights cross through the area often. It's not uncommon to hear thunderous noise throughout the day, I live within two football fields of Churchill Estates.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 AM

25 posts, read 57,587 times
its not that bad, i live directly under the path, and their noise-abatement procedures quiet them down pretty well. flights usually stop rolling through at around 11pm with the occasional late plane at 2am, but you'll usually sleep through them. There sometimes are the jerk pilots who dont quiet the engines down, and you'll hear the thunder, but its not that common. I'm sure if your home is properly insulated, you shouldn't hear a thing. As i typed this, i saw a moving light in the sky through my window, and i could barely hear the whisper of the engines over the hum of my refrigerator, and its dead silent outside (2am).

i guess i should add that this particular approach path is the one used 90% of the time, and will only change if winds force them to use the other runway/direction.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
That whole area of town has airplane noise, but CE has some of the worst. However, consider that that is the best location in the city [NW Military/Huebner/Blanco inside 1604] and those houses cost about 100k less than they would without the airplane noise.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
If I lived there, I'd be more concerned about the lack of sidewalks. Pedestrians there take their lives in their hands walking along the berm of the neighborhood's main drag at night, in this city where drunk driving is so common.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanez5 View Post
i guess i should add that this particular approach path is the one used 90% of the time, and will only change if winds force them to use the other runway/direction.
The noise from approaching aircraft is significantly less than from departing aircraft. So, if the CE area gets 90% or so of the approaches, then the neighborhoods to the SE (Oak Park/Northwood) are getting about 90% of the departures.

With the quieter engines used on modern jets, I don't think the noise problem is as great as it used to be. About the worst thing there is at SAT on a regular basis would probably be the departing FedEx DC-10s, one of which you can count on after 10pm about every night.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM

413 posts, read 741,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If I lived there, I'd be more concerned about the lack of sidewalks. Pedestrians there take their lives in their hands walking along the berm of the neighborhood's main drag at night, in this city where drunk driving is so common.
This is such a real problem in so many parts of town. Even funnier is when you're driving on Lockhill-Selma and there is a mile long sidewalk beside a mile long rock wall with no neighborhood access but you get to DeZavala, and the sidewalks disappear despite actual schools, businesses, and places where people would actually walk.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM

80 posts, read 101,673 times
We were looking at homes there to buy. They were nice and priced much lower. We toured several homes while planes flew overhead. Rattled the windows and we had to really raise our voices to talk to each other or pause our conversation so we moved on to elsewhere. Temporarily moved to apartments near there until we were ready to buy. The planes drove us nuts. Thank goodness it was only for a couple of months. Guess it depends on your tolerance level and what you can get acclimated to.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
I lived at the Landera on Blance Road and if I had my patio door open I couldn't hear the tv when a plane went over..and they were so close sometimes I could even see them. Not nice! Don't miss that noise at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio