Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
Since this thread is about something SA doesn't have compared to other large Texas cities, I figure it would be appropriate to ask this:

Why doesn't San Antonio have HOV lanes on the highways? Since living here, I've traveled to Houston twice and Dallas once on business and I have taken note of this and wonder why my city doesn't have them. Could it be that citizens don't want them? TxDOT doesn't want to fund them?
I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the fact that traffic in San Antonio just isn't as bad as Houston and Dallas......yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the fact that traffic in San Antonio just isn't as bad as Houston and Dallas......yet.
If San Antonio does not do something to proactively address the growing traffic congestion, we will soon look like Austin in the 1990s with the horrible traffic caused by the population boom, and little to no planning or action to increase road infrastructure to deal with increase in population.

There are areas in town that are completely gridlocked at predictable times. I-35 stays jammed, and inbound on I-10, there are already huge delays from Boerne Stage Road down through DeZavala and again around the 410 interchange starting at around 7am through the morning rush. It has been like this for three years, and I don't see what the multimillion dollar band aid approach of reconfiguring exits and on ramps that is currently under way will accomplish. It seems that the approach used in parts of Texas is to wait until the situation becomes completely unbearable, or at least until it directly impacts those in positions the make decisions until something is done.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
If San Antonio does not do something to proactively address the growing traffic congestion, we will soon look like Austin in the 1990s with the horrible traffic caused by the population boom, and little to no planning or action to increase road infrastructure to deal with increase in population.

There are areas in town that are completely gridlocked at predictable times. I-35 stays jammed, and inbound on I-10, there are already huge delays from Boerne Stage Road down through DeZavala and again around the 410 interchange starting at around 7am through the morning rush. It has been like this for three years, and I don't see what the multimillion dollar band aid approach of reconfiguring exits and on ramps that is currently under way will accomplish. It seems that the approach used in parts of Texas is to wait until the situation becomes completely unbearable, or at least until it directly impacts those in positions the make decisions until something is done.
Austin doesn't have a real loop system like 410 or 1604 so their traffic has always suffered because of that. ( Please don't tell me that mopac 1 is a real loop because it isn't. )

1990's Austin traffic was pretty light (but still bad) compared to now. I say this because I spent A LOT of time in Austin back in the mid 90's to late 90's. It is much worse now as Austin has never adapted well to the population increase of wanna-be hipsters (but that is another story).

Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Austin doesn't have a real loop system like 410 or 1604 so their traffic has always suffered because of that. ( Please don't tell me that mopac 1 is a real loop because it isn't. )

1990's Austin traffic was pretty light (but still bad) compared to now. I say this because I spent A LOT of time in Austin back in the mid 90's to late 90's. It is much worse now as Austin has never adapted well to the population increase of wanna-be hipsters (but that is another story).
Your post made me spit Dr. Pepper in my key board...the hipster thing in Austin is hilarious. They actually have a thread dedicated to where the cool hipster hang-outs are, and of course, the hard core members have fun telling the others that no REAL hipster would share such information.

I will leave you with an attempt to repay the laugh you gave me.

How did the hipster burn his lips?

He drank his coffee before it was cool...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's not her fault that environmental studies take 5 years.
Yeah, it take 5 years because we are talking about San Antonio. LOL.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
proactively
planning
action
Be careful, these are not popular words in San Antonio.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Be careful, these are not popular words in San Antonio.
What are you talking about? We are the least congested major metro in the state.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Probably. I do hope that the traffic problem is addressed before we end up like a Dallas or Houston. And Houston traffic is nooooo fun

Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times
We always knew, even 10 years ago, we wouldn't have the funds until the middle of this decade.
That was the whole POINT of the toll road, we could have it built right away. The options were do nothing and wait 15 years, or have congestion relief right away if we built the toll road.

The whole problem was this:
Terri Hall and her mob: We want congestion relief right now!!
TXDOT: We don't have the money, but we can build it as a toll
Mob: NO TOLL ROADS!!!
TXDOT: Well we can't build anything, we don't have the money
Mob: We want congestion relief right now!!
TXDOT: Well we can't build anything, we don't have the money
Mob: We want congestion relief right now!!

and the cycle goes on and on

so,
again,
NO, Terri Hall hasn't helped us for Moderator cut: language

and you should never condone ignorance

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-04-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,230 times
Aren't HOV lanes planned for 281?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio