U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times

Advertisements

With the rain we got this morning, I wondered what the Edwards Aquifer level was. Turns out it's only at 648.2', meaning we are still in Stage 2 Water Restrictions!

I suspect some people don't realize this, being that normally most associate it with the hotter, drier summer months; so here's a friendly reminder.

Would hate to hear of someone being fined for unknowingly violating the restrictions!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
There is a house being rennovated (maybe flipped because it was foreclosed) down the street from me. I have seen them watering on Sundays and in the middle of the day. I'm not sure if they have a special permit because of the construction, but it is rather annoying seeing them water at these absurd times that are nowhere near the listed watering day for anyone. I haven't reported it because I don't know about the permit thing, but argh. Yes. We are still under water restrictions.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM

11,168 posts, read 20,502,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There is a house being rennovated (maybe flipped because it was foreclosed) down the street from me. I have seen them watering on Sundays and in the middle of the day. I'm not sure if they have a special permit because of the construction, but it is rather annoying seeing them water at these absurd times that are nowhere near the listed watering day for anyone. I haven't reported it because I don't know about the permit thing, but argh. Yes. We are still under water restrictions.
Newly landscaped properties can apply for a variance, to be able to water enough to get the landscape established.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Newly landscaped properties can apply for a variance, to be able to water enough to get the landscape established.
That's the only thing I can think of. I mean, I'm not going to go up to them and ask if they have a permit or anything....however....walking past the house when it was for sale it did not look like it needed to be landscaped. The inside was the problem. But if this is my biggest worry then I don't have many other things to complain about, right?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,388,006 times
We have our sprinkler system turned off...this is the time of the year that your water consumption will dictate your "set" sewage rate...so if you are using a lot of water during the winter, you WILL be paying a lot more all year long for sewage charges as well.....

Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,664,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
We have our sprinkler system turned off...this is the time of the year that your water consumption will dictate your "set" sewage rate...so if you are using a lot of water during the winter, you WILL be paying a lot more all year long for sewage charges as well.....
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! How does this work?! I'm genuinely curious. Seems like a way to get gouged if one isn't careful or is ignorant of this.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,525,976 times
They figure your sewer charges based on your average usage during the winter. I believe it's on the water bill. We've always been very careful to not just turn off out sprinklers, but actually shut off all water to the outside, we won't turn it on again till march.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 28,768 times
I was out and used the rain to wash my van, imagine my neighbors think I'm nutts...LOL

Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,227,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! How does this work?! I'm genuinely curious. Seems like a way to get gouged if one isn't careful or is ignorant of this.
YEP. It sure is. And they get away with it. The way they calculate it is so totally different from anything I've ever heard of, I think it's a total ripoff, personally, but that's just me!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,385,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That's the only thing I can think of. I mean, I'm not going to go up to them and ask if they have a permit or anything....however....walking past the house when it was for sale it did not look like it needed to be landscaped. The inside was the problem. But if this is my biggest worry then I don't have many other things to complain about, right?

I believe that variance is only for new construction. At least a few years ago when I checked because we were landscaping our lot, it was not eligible as the house was built in the 1880s, even if it hadn't been landscaped in 50 years.... But, that could have changed since then.

Being concerned about water wastage is a very real concern, and the sign of a responsible citizen. We don't have water to waste. The rules are there so that people don't waste water unintentionally. It is worth asking them if they know we're under Stage 2 restrictions and reminding them of that fact. They may just not realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio