U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 AM

8 posts, read 13,820 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary this weekend and will be having dinner at the Fig Tree but I was wondering if there were any good recommendations for a place to have a drink after dinner. I found plenty of threads for restaurant recommendations (and those were helpful in deciding on Fig Tree) but not a lot of information on a place to have a drink. We would a place where we can sit and talk and enjoy the drink and not a club-like atmosphere. Perhaps a nice hotel bar? It doesn't necessarily have to be on the Riverwalk but it would be preferred.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 AM

330 posts, read 501,066 times
The Esquire or Bohanan's are two of my favorites. Also love Ocho, but that may be a little far. Happy Anniversary!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM

3,471 posts, read 17,231,287 times
The Menger Bar is walking distance to the Fig Tree. Maybe you'll see Teddy or one of his Rough Riders. It has alot of history and a really nice atmosphere. My opion.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM

410 posts, read 552,512 times
If you have transportation, three excellent mixologist-driven bars have opened this year. In no particular order:
Blue Box (at the Pearl complex between Sandbar and Nao-sit "upstairs" for the best experience)
Brooklynite (right next to the riverwalk locks on Brooklyn)-you can make an Open Table reservation here)
1919 (underneath Joe Blue's at the Blue Star-no signage)
If you're staying downtown and want to keep it walkable, Bohanan's hands down.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
If you have transportation, three excellent mixologist-driven bars have opened this year. In no particular order:
Blue Box (at the Pearl complex between Sandbar and Nao-sit "upstairs" for the best experience)
Brooklynite (right next to the riverwalk locks on Brooklyn)-you can make an Open Table reservation here)
1919 (underneath Joe Blue's at the Blue Star-no signage)
If you're staying downtown and want to keep it walkable, Bohanan's hands down.

I LOVE 1919, but on weekends it's packed and while not quite clubby, isn't quite as atmospheric - you can take a trolley if you don't want to walk
Blue Box I like a lot as well, great drinks, and nice early in the evening, but later on can have a clubby/see-and-be-seen atmosphere.

I only say that as it sounds like the OP wanted something a bit more low key.
I second the Bohanan's recommendation or Esquire,though I haven't been to either on a weekend so not sure if they get as crazy as the other two.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I LOVE 1919, but on weekends it's packed and while not quite clubby, isn't quite as atmospheric - you can take a trolley if you don't want to walk
Blue Box I like a lot as well, great drinks, and nice early in the evening, but later on can have a clubby/see-and-be-seen atmosphere.

I only say that as it sounds like the OP wanted something a bit more low key.
I second the Bohanan's recommendation or Esquire,though I haven't been to either on a weekend so not sure if they get as crazy as the other two.
Agree. The atmosphere at 1919 has changed dramatically since it's opened. It found a crowd, but not the upscale crowd I think they imagined it would be. Living very close to 1919 allows me to see just how rowdy the place becomes... I don't really go there anymore because of it.

BlueBox: Love it. They also do a good job of keeping it classy.

The Esquire: I never had a good experience there, so I don't try anymore. Rude staff who seem to be attempting their SNL impersonation of what NYC Lower East Side hipsters are like.

Bohanans... Go here. You won't be disappointed. Great service, great bar, great spirits list. What Mark Bohanan brought to Houston street is not only a feather for downtown's cap, but something that all good bars in San Antonio should strive to be like. I was just there last week for a night of live jazz and a few sidecars. Amazing experience as always.

BN

Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

410 posts, read 552,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Agree. The atmosphere at 1919 has changed dramatically since it's opened. It found a crowd, but not the upscale crowd I think they imagined it would be. Living very close to 1919 allows me to see just how rowdy the place becomes... I don't really go there anymore because of it.

BlueBox: Love it. They also do a good job of keeping it classy.

The Esquire: I never had a good experience there, so I don't try anymore. Rude staff who seem to be attempting their SNL impersonation of what NYC Lower East Side hipsters are like.

Bohanans... Go here. You won't be disappointed. Great service, great bar, great spirits list. What Mark Bohanan brought to Houston street is not only a feather for downtown's cap, but something that all good bars in San Antonio should strive to be like. I was just there last week for a night of live jazz and a few sidecars. Amazing experience as always.

BN
In re. 1919, most of our visits here have been early evening (before dinner rather than after) and have only once not found seating at the counter. I'm guessing it's being located at the fringe of a fairly vibrant residential area tilts the clientele toward locals, and wonder if the others will trend this way as the Pearl/downtown become more residential.
Esquire, for us (AARP age), was a "one, and done" though we absolutely love the Brooklynite! Only ding on Bohanan's is parking.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM

355 posts, read 448,200 times
If you order a cocktail at Bohanans, beware they use 'snowball' ice cubes. Large round chunks of ice that hit your nose whenever you take a drink. I've learned to tell them to use regular ice cubes.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
If you order a cocktail at Bohanans, beware they use 'snowball' ice cubes. Large round chunks of ice that hit your nose whenever you take a drink. I've learned to tell them to use regular ice cubes.
Actually, they use 7 different kinds of ice at Bohanans. It's dependent on the drink you order, as a proper cocktail comes with ice that will keep your drink cold, but fend off a fast melt, thus watering down your libation. I find that attention to detail one of many things I love about that bar.

It's your prerogative to use whatever ice you like, but why they use the ice they're using is a calculated move and a smart one for drinkers who like their cocktails to remain strong/cold from first sip to the last drop. That being said, it does take some getting used to. Getting beaten up by my drink is not something I would rather enjoy.

BN

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM

34 posts, read 50,173 times
7 kinds of ice!

Learn something new daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or