U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times

Advertisements

ryne two, why so nasty? Someone doesn't like our city..no big deal.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
SwRI describes the local cultural diversity in a FAQ.

San Antonio - The Place to Live

Simply put people have different opinions of diversity; melting pot vs salad bowl for starters.

I also bet most who complain about teenage pregnancy do not have this very issue in their extended family or immediate community. They complain from afar. But I am open to hear how this is really a problem for those who do complain, how does it drag you down?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
ryne two, why so nasty? Someone doesn't like our city..no big deal.
Nasty?

Why would you wish someone to stay and be miserable in any situation? Seems cruel to me does it not to you?

No where was the OP asking for help they just want to vent about how horrible they feel living. Iím all for the OP to go find greener pastures somewhere else.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM

413 posts, read 652,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Just because you canít find anything but Tex-Mex is you own damn fault.
Please tell me where I can find Chinatown. That's right, a city of 2 million people has no Chinatown. How about a Russian restaurant? A Caribbean one? How many French restaurants are in town? One, two? How about a place that sells Vietnamese sandwiches? The Chinese New Year festival lasted a whopping 2 hours. The Diwali festival was 5 hours. By comparison, the rodeo is 2 weeks and Fiesta is a month. Sure, Wurstfest and Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg are there, if you like your German sausage wrapped in a tortilla and a smaller choice of German beers than a typical bar. I've been to them all, and I leave disappointed. The Greek festival was the only one that was good. I do love some of the smaller ethnic markets though, like the Japanese market on Callaghan, the Middle Eastern ones on Wurzbach, etc. I could probably count on one hand the number of Tex-Mex people I've ever seen in any of them. This is the first city where I've actually met people who have never been on an airplane and have never left Texas. How embarrassing is that?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times
MAybe it's just me..but I could care less if someone likes or dislikes the city. Guess it bothers some more than others.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
SwRI describes the local cultural diversity in a FAQ.

San Antonio - The Place to Live

Simply put people have different opinions of diversity; melting pot vs salad bowl for starters.

I also bet most who complain about teenage pregnancy do not have this very issue in their extended family or immediate community. They complain from afar. But I am open to hear how this is really a problem for those who do complain, how does it drag you down?
That link shows the lack of diversity. 3.2% of the population is Asian, Pacific Islander, Indian, Native American, and everything else not White, Hispanic, or Black. 3.2% is not diverse.

I have teenage pregnancy in my immediate community, and I live in a very nice community. There is no complaining from afar in San Antonio as it is not a racial or economic issue, but purely a cultural one. My friends across the street have a daughter who got pregnant at 19, never married. My friends are both teachers and do well financially. They're neighbor has a 21 year old daughter with a one year old. Unmarried, as was her mom when she was born, as was her grandmother. They all live together and obviously in three generations, nobody learned a thing. My kids' teacher at daycare is 21 with a 2 year old, and the baby's father has seen the baby twice.

How does this affect me? It means that I will likely leave San Antonio prior to my kids hitting puberty. I will not raise my children in a community that values child-bearing abilities more than a college education, especially for my daughters. Other than that, teenage pregnancy doesn't really affect me. The sad truth is that very few teenage moms will be able to pick themselves up enough to go to school and get a great job, so I'm never in a place to deal with them.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Nasty?

Why would you wish someone to stay and be miserable in any situation? Seems cruel to me does it not to you?

No where was the OP asking for help they just want to vent about how horrible they feel living. Iím all for the OP to go find greener pastures somewhere else.
Have you ever thought that maybe if you and the similarly-minded people left, that maybe the greener pasture would actually be here?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

297 posts, read 621,986 times
I dont really find SA miserable. Ok the drivers are bad, I will give you that. I attribute that to the fact that people have to have vehicles that are way too big for them to be driving. Why is it that the wife has the huge pick up and the husband drives the little Nissan or Toyota? I DO find the state of our young people miserable in a lot of sections of town. They choose to be gangster wannabees. I dont know why that is so prevelent in some sections.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Have you ever thought that maybe if you and the similarly-minded people left, that maybe the greener pasture would actually be here?
Meh I don't need to move I enjoy life here and have don't base my happiness on having to see teen moms or being surrounded by people that look different than me. I don't judge my city on whether or not I can sit down and order sour schi at a restaurant.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,758,894 times
As a visitor to the city on numerous occasions, I have to share some the OP's sentiments.

The drivers in SA stink. Period. Sure, in Houston we drive like we're always late to something, but that's just life in the big city. San Antonians act like they're afraid to the speed limit. Tell me why.

People in SA also walk slow and have poor peripherals. Not at all in-tune with their surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or