Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 AM

500 posts, read 963,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Amen! I actually watched some kids on a school bus hand money to one at Bandera and 410. The driver should not have allowed it as it was not the safest activity.
I completely and wholeheartedly agree!

That said, can you imagine the discussion we would be having if just one of the parents found out the bus driver "deprived" their kid's "sense of charity"? And you can't tell me that I'm being facetious here.

Panhandling is offensive to me, as I'm sure it is also to many. The fact that they are allowed within even sight of kids at a school bus stop is unconscionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,892,838 times
99% of the time I will not give panhandlers a dime. I MIGHT if the person is very old (we're talking 80+) or they are missing a limb or have an obvious medical issue that cannot be faked (yes, they fake limps).

Young folks? Forget it!! I was south of Houston (League City) a few years ago and had some time to kill between appointments so I picked up some What-A-Burger and parked up near the exit of the shopping center to eat and do some paperwork. This is a large shopping center right off I-45. As I am sitting there, I see a late model Honda Civic pull in and park a few spots across from me. A guy in his late 20's or early 30's sits in the car for a few minutes before he gets out and goes to his trunk. He opens the trunk and pulls out this ginormous hiking backpack and struggles to hoist it up and onto his back. I'm sitting there wonder what in the hell this guy is doing. There is clearly nowhere around here to hike. Curious, I decide to watch him. The guy slams the trunk down, hits the remote to lock his doors and starts walking toward the exit of the shopping center. This took about 30 seconds as he was already parked as close to the exit as humanly possible. He situated himself in the median between the in and outbound lanes of the shopping center. Then he breaks out his folded cardboard sign and holds it up and it reads: Stranded and homeless. Please help. God Bless.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM

501 posts, read 945,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
If you would take time to read, it was Spursrock who said it's the economy. You talk about other cities having panhandlers; here's the difference: In most other cities, you don't find them out on nice, suburban intersections. Lately, they have been at 1604/Bandera, Culebra, Military, Potranco and 151/Potranco. While going to the doctor, I saw one for the first time at Wiseman/151 just last week. So, it is spreading and getting worse.
What exactly is it with you and making such outlandish statements?

In a lot of cities I've been to, including Dallas and Chicago and Denver, you'll find panhandlers at high traffic suburban intersections.

I don't know if your statements are bred from ignorance of reality or just made with a wanton disregard to any type of proof.

Hell, the Houston forum has this same conversation going on in their forum and the panhandling complaints in that thread aren't kept in a five mile radius of downtown Houston either.

But hey, that thread is a made up fiction according to your claim.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:59 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,892,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
In a lot of cities I've been to, including Dallas and Chicago and Denver, you'll find panhandlers at high traffic suburban intersections.
The bums and opportunists aren't stupid. They flock to the nicer sides of town where they can make more money.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:59 AM

314 posts, read 829,057 times
I have been here 7 years and it is the same people...it has nothing to do with the economy!

They predicted that Haven For Hope would fix this and therefore laws would not be necessary but Haven For Hope has rules such as curfews, no drugs and alcohol and most of the "regulars" have drug/alcohol/mental problems and do not want to assimilate into "normal" society and want us to pay for their habbits. If you really want to help homeless the donate to hfh

https://www.havenforhope.org/donate/DonateForm.aspx

Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 AM

501 posts, read 945,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The bums and opportunists aren't stupid. They flock to the nicer sides of town where they can make more money.
But according to some people, in every city outside of San Antonio, they're restricted from traveling past a three-five mile radius from the city's main downtown homeless shelter.

Last edited by teenwolf80; 11-16-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 AM

464 posts, read 799,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When driving around the city, I typically will find a beggar at every major intersection on the northside. Is there any law against this?
Panhandling has long been part of the human civilization dating beyond recorded time. It's nothing new.
As a family, we've visited Mexico City, Rome, London, Sao Paolo and Bucharest, and I have to admit that San Antonio has nothing on these cities when it comes to panhandlers.

Rome was the worst; an array of beggars strewn across sidewalks looking like disheveled characters from some Dickens novel interspersed with dangerous street thieves of Gypsy origin. It was a far cry from the typical beggar variety seen in SA with the ubiquitous "homeless, stranded, vet, anything will help, God Bless" sign, tipping his hat at each car and limping as he creeps by at a stoplight.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,863,924 times
There is a kid sitting at a Mc D out side and I offered him a can of beans, and he turned it down, he only wanted money.
Not obligated to fund some one's addiction sorry.
I keep a can of food for these people ,because that will prove what their motivation really is.
When I was broke and on the street, I would have loved a can of food, and made it last. Even a can of sardines is not hard to cary and needs no cooking ..

Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,050,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
My comment was more directed towards gagger or anyone else who thinks it's just an SA problem.

I don't believe that anyone would think it's just an SA problem...it does seem to be more and more of a problem here though...and yes, been to every state in this country.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,672,989 times
These threads always make me laugh. The minute people bring up beggars, the high and mighty come out and want to tell us how it's a scam and illegal and society is heading into the toilet because of them. Help them or dont (I choose to in many cases) but stop looking down your nose at them or the people that choose to help them.

Oh and before people spout off about the legalities about it, save it. I dont particularly care if it is legal or illegal. If someone needs help and I am in a position to help, I'll help. Go preach elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio