U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM

410 posts, read 552,025 times

Advertisements

+1 on Martgonman for an EXCELLENT analysis!! Our daughter was a waitress here and her least favorite customers were "nationals" (loud, rude, and cheap). While inherent behavioral traits (loudness for example) shouldn't be faulted, there is no excuse for not following the "when in Rome.." maxim on the other two. Just because a 10% or less gratuity is appropiate in your home country is no excuse for following the same practice when travelling.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM

246 posts, read 617,984 times
Excellent post, martgonman! Best summary and explanation of the cultural differences on this entire thread.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,331,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
If we'll take the time to POLITELY try to "educate" folks in a tactful and friendly manner, I think it'd be worth the effort.
I would agree, but so many nationals don't give surrounding folks the time of day, much less get off their cell phones for a moment to hold actual conversation.

Basically, if you're going to be rude to me, I'm going to call you out and it's going to be embarrassingly loud. Adults who act like children will be scolded like children.

BN

Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 AM

275 posts, read 857,054 times
On Easter...

Mexican shoppers are back. I dont know why people are complaining mexican shopper due reasons as: throwing garbage at streets(something i have never seen before), bad drivers at highways, etc.

A lot of people do not like that mexican shoppers ask for tax refund; believe this program work in all countries, even in Mexico for international shoppers.

Mexican shoppers bring peso power to San Antonio for Holy Week | News - Home

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,180,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
On Easter...

Mexican shoppers are back. I dont know why people are complaining mexican shopper due reasons as: throwing garbage at streets(something i have never seen before), bad drivers at highways, etc.

A lot of people do not like that mexican shoppers ask for tax refund; believe this program work in all countries, even in Mexico for international shoppers.

I have never heard anyone complain about the sales tax refund. Ever.

And I believe it's LOCALS that throw garbage. Local mexicans? Local mex-americans? Maybe, maybe not. It's kinda like the stray dog issue....a REAL PROBLEM around this city.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,900,320 times
Littering might be a "REAL PROBLEM" but it is not tied to any one ethnicity or nationality, that is just silly.

I also understand sanluisito was stating that some nationals (new money) do litter, don't believe he was saying they are solely responsible for all the litter we see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
On Easter...

You really don't want us to like them lol because you could have not painted a more beautiful picture of them for us.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 AM

52 posts, read 79,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I'm going to call you out and it's going to be embarrassingly loud.

why, oh why, cant more people be like this?

yesterday evening, this foriegn national (likely mexican, cant say for sure, but the thick accent and spanish lead me to believe she is) cuts in front of me (head of the line) and about 7 other people in one of heb's 10 or less line.

everyone, and i do mean everyone, gave her this look of 'wth you doing??' but not one person said a thing. she was standing there about 20 seconds, listening to whatever garbage came out of her sweatshop iphone/ipod, not a care in the world. i look behind me, see looks of disgust, people obviously wanting to say something.

so i say rather loudly 'fine, ill be that guy'. i tap the lady on her shoulder multiple times, she doesnt respond. cashier calls for next person in line, she semi-trots (yes trots) to the cashier. at this point i simply cannot believe the nerve of this... word i wont say. the cashier *almost* started to check her out when i say 'wait a second. see all those people in line? see me? this lady decided she was too important to wait and just cut in front of everyone. '

*FINALLY*, the dbag takes off her earphones and says in a rather thick accent 'whats the problem??'. i politely explain that she just cut in front of 8 people. she puts this astonished look on her face and said 'omg im so sorry i didnt see anyone!'

i reply 'well, for one you dont need to wear sunglasses inside and for two, youre full of sh*t, as you had to ask 2 people to move out of your way when you got a soda and then proceeded to go to the front of the line'.

all i get is an 'excuse me...' before another cashier calls me to her station. they eventually made her go to the back of the line, but i got called a lot of bad things in spanish while she had to go to the back. i guess she thought i didnt speak spanish, but when i told her that i understood her, in spanish, her cheeks went white and i was happy.

just because i talk with a fluent 'american' accent doesnt mean i dont understand you. crappy part is, im hispanic but light skinned enough that i can pass for white sometimes.

ps - G*d gracing you with nice hips and a sizable bosom doesnt mean you can be a complete dbag to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I have never heard anyone complain about the sales tax refund. Ever.

And I believe it's LOCALS that throw garbage. Local mexicans? Local mex-americans? Maybe, maybe not. It's kinda like the stray dog issue....a REAL PROBLEM around this city.
big reason i stopped shopping at wal mart.

never see it at target. rarely see it at HEB... but if i just *drive* through the walmart parking lot, i will see a wrapped up diaper in the road. makes no sense, walmart puts trashcans out in the parking lot but people still feel the need to throw their babys poop out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

You really don't want us to like them lol because you could have not painted a more beautiful picture of them for us.
speak for yourself please. thanks!

Last edited by saltwater heaven; 03-28-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,409,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater heaven View Post
why, oh why, cant more people be like this?

yesterday evening, this foriegn national (likely mexican, cant say for sure, but the thick accent and spanish lead me to believe she is) cuts in front of me (head of the line) and about 7 other people in one of heb's 10 or less line.

everyone, and i do mean everyone, gave her this look of 'wth you doing??' but not one person said a thing. she was standing there about 20 seconds, listening to whatever garbage came out of her sweatshop iphone/ipod, not a care in the world. i look behind me, see looks of disgust, people obviously wanting to say something.

so i say rather loudly 'fine, ill be that guy'. i tap the lady on her shoulder multiple times, she doesnt respond. cashier calls for next person in line, she semi-trots (yes trots) to the cashier. at this point i simply cannot believe the nerve of this... word i wont say. the cashier *almost* started to check her out when i say 'wait a second. see all those people in line? see me? this lady decided she was too important to wait and just cut in front of everyone. '

*FINALLY*, the dbag takes off her earphones and says in a rather thick accent 'whats the problem??'. i politely explain that she just cut in front of 8 people. she puts this astonished look on her face and said 'omg im so sorry i didnt see anyone!'

i reply 'well, for one you dont need to wear sunglasses inside and for two, youre full of sh*t, as you had to ask 2 people to move out of your way when you got a soda and then proceeded to go to the front of the line'.

all i get is an 'excuse me...' before another cashier calls me to her station. they eventually made her go to the back of the line, but i got called a lot of bad things in spanish while she had to go to the back. i guess she thought i didnt speak spanish, but when i told her that i understood her, in spanish, her cheeks went white and i was happy.

just because i talk with a fluent 'american' accent doesnt mean i dont understand you. crappy part is, im hispanic but light skinned enough that i can pass for white sometimes.

ps - G*d gracing you with nice hips and a sizable bosom doesnt mean you can be a complete dbag to people.

I generally dislike Mexican shoppers myself, however I must say that your story (if it is even true!) makes you seem just as rude as they can be if not worse.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM

77 posts, read 131,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I generally dislike Mexican shoppers myself, however I must say that your story (if it is even true!) makes you seem just as rude as they can be if not worse.
Hell no. I applaud that person for standing up. I'm hispanic and I hate these nationals. They come over here and think their crap doesnt stink. They act like we are beneath them and most are very rude. I've had plenty of them step in front of me in line at stores and i always tell them something that starts with me saying "what f'ng country do you think this is?".

They walk in the middle of a parking lot as slow as possible even if there is a car waiting on them. They are loud and annoying with their damn walkie talkies. They may be big sh!ts in their country but not here. I know i'm generalizing and they arent all like that....but the ones that are **** me off to no end.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,754,829 times
I Hate ALL rude people regardless of nationality, sex, age or any other identifying characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio