Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:03 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Yeash, can't wait to get their over charged bill when I am old.

My parents said that they thought their school tax bill was "overcharged" when I was growing up as well.

They had to pay for carpeting in the school,air conditioning, color TV's instead of B+W, computers....oh, the horror!

Now, bend over and surrender your wallet!!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:05 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
Then I guess you can do without a cardiac care nurse. I mean, who needs post-surgical care, right? Just a waste of money.
No, but can't wait to get sued by the sharks (lawyers) when I get old. There are many bright poor kids I would rather give my money to than some BMW driving kids that sit in a cushioned desk all day and think about Britney Spears. I did say pay a nominal tax but not the shakedown the ISD puts to us. Even Tony Soprano had a heart.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:50 PM

What a pessimist. Are you ever happy? Poor me...why always me...getting the shaft.

I would love to buy you a beer sometime. Maybe I can make you laugh a little...a little levity is good for the soul.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 PM

27 posts, read 26,974 times
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I used to work at a huge school district in SA. I am not even going to tell you guys the amount of wasted money. I'm not talking about on educational materials, I'm talking about desks, shelves, chairs, etc. for areas where there are NO students in the building, ever.
It used to make me soooo mad. Luckily I live out of town so I don't pay taxes for that school district but if I did I would have been taking it to the media and raising some serious cane.
This is very interesting, because I have a friend, whose girlfriend works for NISD. She was told at the beginning of the school year that the administration could not find desks for her class. They told her that her students would have to sit at banquette style tables for the school year. They finally did find some desks, but he said they looked like they found them in a garbage dump!
NISD had a budget that totaled almost a billion dollars this year. What are they doing with all the money. I'm new to Texas but something is very fishy with the school boards down here.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Remember the old stories where your grandfather walked five miles to school and back. If you ask the kids today to walk around the block its child abuse. I guess you have to take into account the sick child snatching criminal today though. What I am tryng to say that it is not the fancy palaces(schools) that make doctors lawyers and CPA's but what in the student's minds and their ability to want to learn. I guess Einstein went to school in the penthouse of the Waldorf Astoria. How else could he become so smart?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:14 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
Quote:
No, but can't wait to get sued by the sharks (lawyers) when I get old. There are many bright poor kids I would rather give my money to than some BMW driving kids that sit in a cushioned desk all day and think about Britney Spears. I did say pay a nominal tax but not the shakedown the ISD puts to us. Even Tony Soprano had a heart.
'
My God, doesn't living in such a morass of misanthropy become exhausting after a while?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 84,390 times
Cool School Tax

My kids did not/do not attend school in Texas. I did not attend school in Texas. My husband did not attend school in Texas. Both kids graduated from HS in Georgia. I graduated from HS in Tennessee. My husband graduated from HS in Oregon. None of us attend college here. My son goes to college in OK. My daughter works and does not go to school. My husband is a soldier and I work full time.

So why do I have to pay school taxes?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Again, because someone paid for you and yours....whether it be TN, GA,OR or wherever.

Why can't these people comprehend this? We all pay for things that we may or may not need.
Jails, hospitals etc...many more things as well.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:48 AM

41 posts, read 188,254 times
Default Your husband's employer isn't paying it's share

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensday View Post
My kids did not/do not attend school in Texas. I did not attend school in Texas. My husband did not attend school in Texas. Both kids graduated from HS in Georgia. I graduated from HS in Tennessee. My husband graduated from HS in Oregon. None of us attend college here. My son goes to college in OK. My daughter works and does not go to school. My husband is a soldier and I work full time.

So why do I have to pay school taxes?
I thought I would add my two cents. You mentioned that your husband is a soldier. Mine is too. I thought I would share with you why property taxes in military towns are so high or the schools are so rotten. Because the federal government does not pay it's share of the costs to educate the military children or most children whose parents live or work on federal lands. It pays a small portion called impact aid for the lands that it owns but it typically equates to about $250 a child.

For those of you business owners you are paying property taxes on your business which pays in part for your children, your tenants and/or your employees children to go to schools. Additionally, homeowners bear an additional bit of the funding of the schools. However, the federal government is not subject to property tax like Joe Citizen. Consequently, they divvy up impact aid and it is not a consistent formula, so, in some districts (typically smaller ones) the district might get $3000 or so per child and in others (typically larger ones) they might get $80 or so. So, in effect the local taxpayer is left holding the bag for the military child or other federal employee's child.

So, in one of the largest military towns in the country that does not have a state income tax to distribute the burden of federal employees dependents' education among the entire state, guess who comes up holding the bag? You guessed it, the local populace. So, yes to answer your question it seems a bit unfair that you would pay school taxes since you will never use the schools, but since your husband's employer isn't doing it's share and you have elected to live off base, you are left paying some of the costs that your husband's employer should be absorbing.

I might add that I found this out the hard way. I was running my mouth about why weren't our local public schools any better because Uncle Sam gave them impact aid; so, I called my local school administration office to start digging and found the tip of the iceberg, I then poured through Congressional Records and District Budgets to learn the story. Needless to say, I shut up and started volunteering in my kids school, I figured if I was going to sponge off of it, I should at least try to contribute in some way.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
'
My God, doesn't living in such a morass of misanthropy become exhausting after a while?

ER

The questions is why do I personally have to pay school tax. Is there any adult classes that NEISD offers that I can attend free to recoup some of my investment back. As I said earlier, I don't mind paying a nominal school tax but this is insane. I heard that they want to raise the school tax again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio