U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,547,025 times

Advertisements

I am from SA and have lived in various parts of this town, but lately here I am very seriously considering doing what it takes to get my kids into AHISD schools. We currently live in Monte Vista and we love it but not so thrilled with the school options. They've been in a charter school for years that is just not working for them anymore. They are 10 and 15. We have several friends with kids in AHISD that have convinced us to consider it.

So, we are on the hunt to find the impossible; a 3 bedroom rental in AHISD for under $950 a month.

Oh, and it needs to be pet friendly too. We have both feline and canine.

Currently we live in a 4plex, old house (1910) split into apartments, small but charming. No modern amenities like dishwashers or washer hookups but we love it. The kids play outside, take walks without fear, people keep dogs on leashes. All of these things are a far cry from where we lived before (West side). Management is "hands off" and everyone minds their own business but things are mostly fixed in a timely manner too. I cannot stand "nosy" management when I am renting.

We'd like to find a basic, decent place. WD hookups and all that are great but most important is safety and a lack of rodents/roaches, and good working AC. We aren't really picky and we aren't the type to call management to change a light bulb or an AC filter or complain about stuff like that.

My issue at this point is when I look at all the reviews online for the places I've found, they ALL seem to have horrible reputations except for those out of our price range. I don't know how much stock I should put into those reviews and ratings...? But considering how most places require a 12 month lease I want to be extra careful. I don't trust the apartment locators either, really, considering who pays them..

I am mostly considering The Reserve at Alamo Heights at this point but I would love any tips on where else to look. We do not care if the place is "in" Alamo Heights proper, just that it is in the AHISD.

We won't be making this move until Summer 2013 (our lease is up here in August) so there is plenty of time to scope it all out. Any help appreciated. We would prefer a duplex rental or maybe a small house, but we figure the apartment option is going to be most affordable so that's what we've been considering so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
For over 20 years or near that, that I know of, the Reserve has been where low-income students live and attend Alamo Heights. There has always been an uneasy balance between those students and the ones from more affluent households. This I heard from students who used to live there.

Around 10 years ago the area had still not changed. They have washrooms (not very pretty) there so unsure if they have WD hookups. I used to visit that property at night due to work. One good thing is they used to have a curfew of some sorts there, no one would be outside when it was really late, which is good.

I doubt the area has changed much but be careful if you decide on this area. It is not considered "ghetto" just for fun although I never saw any crimes or police presence during any of my visits.

Sorry could not be more help.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM

905 posts, read 1,355,039 times
My children are in the A.H. schools. My daughter came from Cambridge and is in 6th grade at the Jr. School. I teach my children to be friends with everyone but unfortunately the labeling has begun; she came home the other day and asked "daddy, what are the ghetto kids?"

3 bedroom rental homes will be an average of around $2000.00.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM

13,789 posts, read 7,310,711 times
Another option would be to find a home to rent inside the AHISD boundaries. Less expensive areas within the district lie just near The Quarry on the west side of Hwy 281 near Jones-Maltsberger...also, a neighborhood north of Loop 410 off McCullough. Another area that is reasonably affordable within the district is east of North New Braunfels Rd near Nacogdoches Rd., south of 410. Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,359 times
That's a toughie. Under $1k for 3br? You might want to look on the very edges of 09 for that.

I hate to say it, but you want a lot for very little from one of SA's most desirable zip codes. You aren't likely going to find anything at that price point, so have a realistic backup plan in place.

BN

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM

227 posts, read 280,625 times
Your best bet will be to check with a realestate company for rentals in the district. It is going to be tough in that price range to find a safe place to live. There are some low-income housing and apartments off of Braodway north of Sunset but not the safest area.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,159,284 times
As has been stated by some of the other posters, you are going to be pretty much confined to the area bounded by Jones-Maltsberger, Loop 410, Broadway, and Sunset, if you need to be under 1K/month for a 3 bedroom rental in AHISD. Even then, it would only be a "maybe". Although there are a couple of smaller apartment complexes other than the Reserve in that area, I don't think 3 bedroom apartments are that easy to come by, plus you have pets, so you're probably going to be looking at a single-family house.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,547,025 times
Thanks, everyone.

So far then, I have The Reserve as our main plan since they do take pets and are within our price range. At least we know at this point that they are one valid option.

I was thinking it might be smart to print out the district map on the AHISD website and just drive around, making notes of what sort of complexes and other rentals I find within the district, to call about or research later.

We did some calculating and could go as high as $1200 a month but no higher. Maybe we'll find a 2 bedroom with an "office" or "study" that could serve as a bedroom for the youngest. We're a minimalistic sort, used to living in small spaces, and as for the neighborhoods, we've lived in true "ghetto" areas so we know how to stay safe.
Obviously that's not what we want, I am just saying, we don't scare easily.

ggeorgie that's awful, but I think that sort of thing happens no matter where you go. We're just hoping the good overall will outweigh any of that nonsense. Recently our 10 year old was looked down on for mentioning having homemade cupcakes for her birthday (vs store bought)..!? As if store bought was some status symbol. Kids get crazy ideas from their parents no matter where you live.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
We don't like our schools but we bought a house so we're pretty much stuck where we are. My oldest goes to online public school and that's working out much better for us than traditional school did. If you can't find the rental you're looking for, maybe online school would be an option for your family.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,237,008 times
I did an MLS search for duplexes, houses, townhomes, and the like for 78209 and nothing came up in your price range. I did a search for apartments on Forrent.com and only The Reserve came up as a match. There are other decent schools in the city that aren't in AHISD. The schools on the far north side outside of 1604 outperform AHISD schools, but the apartments and houses there will be out of your price range too. There are probably other schools in NISD or NEISD that are on or close to being on the same level as the AHISD schools. I attended Garner and MacArthur. I didn't die or end up in prison. My quantitative and verbal scores on the GRE were above average. So, I think it's safe to say that I can read, write, and do math well enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio