Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: computer science or network administrator
computer science 5 45.45%
network administrator 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM

381 posts, read 766,650 times

Advertisements

I have been in SA for a little over a year now, bought a new house and I like it here. I went back to school for a career change and just finished my first semester at NW vista College. Now I have a choice to continue with my mayor in computer science or change to an associates of applied sciences as a network administrator. What I don't like about the networking administration one is that you cannot continue since it's considered a tech career, while in the CS one you can continue your bachelor's degree at UTSA. CS is much harder too. So if anyone here is working in those two fields in SA can you chip in as which one is a better fit for SA? I researched online and talked to an advisor which didn't help much. Rumors are that CS is more for programming and that those jobs are being sent to India.Thanks for any response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Another thing that I don't like about the network administrator degree is that some of the classes are outdated. The first one would be windows vista configuration?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
My sister majored in computer science. She ended up finding a job in Austin (had to make enough to pay back her student loans ) and is making a decent living now.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister majored in computer science. She ended up finding a job in Austin (had to make enough to pay back her student loans ) and is making a decent living now.
Great! Thanks for your reply. Does she have a bachelors degree?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,537,574 times
Ok. I am going to go out on a limb and talk about stuff. Everybody needs computers now. I started with DOS and moved up. The problems I run into now is-- I can't read the screen and why does it cost so much? I don't know either. Intelligent people are having trouble doing basic things. Why is that? These are things that need to be solved. I think the whole TV remote thing is a nightmare. I can think of alot of other stuff too.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,941,853 times
CS is generic, what exactly do you want to do?

A SysAdmin degree is a lot more specific, but you will still need to be Network+ certified to be competitive in that field. I don't what you mean when you say "you cannot continue since it's considered a tech career" as given the constant evolution and technical advancements in the IT world, you have to continuously stay current otherwise you won't be effective in that position.

The good side is that there are more job opportunities for SysAdmin personnel than there are CS.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM

464 posts, read 801,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I have been in SA for a little over a year now, bought a new house and I like it here. I went back to school for a career change and just finished my first semester at NW vista College. Now I have a choice to continue with my mayor in computer science or change to an associates of applied sciences as a network administrator. What I don't like about the networking administration one is that you cannot continue since it's considered a tech career, while in the CS one you can continue your bachelor's degree at UTSA. CS is much harder too. So if anyone here is working in those two fields in SA can you chip in as which one is a better fit for SA? I researched online and talked to an advisor which didn't help much. Rumors are that CS is more for programming and that those jobs are being sent to India.Thanks for any response!
As a CIO, I'd highly recommend going for a IT Security Degree. It's in demand and pays much more than a network admin. The market is rather saturated with network admins with fresh degrees and little experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Another thing that I don't like about the network administrator degree is that some of the classes are outdated. The first one would be windows vista configuration?
Windows Vista? Seriously?? I would not attend any school that still focuses on an already obsolete OS; you'd be wasting your time and money. They should, at a minimum, focus on Windows 7 with a MCTS configuration course.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
CS is generic, what exactly do you want to do?

A SysAdmin degree is a lot more specific, but you will still need to be Network+ certified to be competitive in that field. I don't what you mean when you say "you cannot continue since it's considered a tech career" as given the constant evolution and technical advancements in the IT world, you have to continuously stay current otherwise you won't be effective in that position.

The good side is that there are more job opportunities for SysAdmin personnel than there are CS.
What I really want to do is work with computers. Well, what I meant by "you cannot continue" is that the network admin program that they have at NW vista cannot transfer into something else like a bachelors degree,while the CS one does and you can continue your bachelors in CS. I think I might just stick with my CS mayor since it pays more and there are less people in that field since it's a hard one from what I have read.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,446,591 times
An AAS won't transfer as neatly into a BA or BS program as an AS or AA, but it will transfer. You'll just be lacking some general education courses, which you can take at the school you're transferring to.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 AM

838 posts, read 1,208,070 times
I agree with HillCountryWineFan. Network Security is a very hot field right now. Not only that but San Antonio is leading the nation with companies that are providing that service so there are jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio