Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

Where can I donate new and gently used children's toys, books, puzzles, learning supplies in San Antonio? Will not donate to Goodwill or any organization that sells these items. I've seen a couple of Goodwill warehouses and was appalled at what I saw. Bags of items up to the ceiling and several yards back of clothing and what ever else people have donated, only God knows when! They should be ashamed and give these items away to those in need immediately.

Can anyone help with a name of an organization and perhaps address where I can deliver these items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Disabled American Veterans perhaps.....

Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
I would avoid Goodwill .... Salvation Army better choice. But, I'm sure there are other organizations that will simply supply them to needy children. Maybe Toys for Tots ...

http://san-antonio-tx.toysfortots.or...al-donate.aspx

Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magonzalez View Post
Where can I donate new and gently used children's toys, books, puzzles, learning supplies in San Antonio? Will not donate to Goodwill or any organization that sells these items. I've seen a couple of Goodwill warehouses and was appalled at what I saw. Bags of items up to the ceiling and several yards back of clothing and what ever else people have donated, only God knows when! They should be ashamed and give these items away to those in need immediately.

Can anyone help with a name of an organization and perhaps address where I can deliver these items?
For the books and learning supplies, what about San Antonio Youth Literacy? On their website, they mention a need for kinder-2nd grade books, though I will admit I don't know if they want new only.

Donate to San Antonio Youth Literacy | San Antonio Youth LiteracySan Antonio Youth Literacy

Phone: 299-1533

Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times
How about The Children's Shelter, St. PJ's, Haven for Hope, the SAMM Shelter(5900 Blanco), Guadalupe Home (2109 Buena Vista), Magdelena House, etc?

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 12-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: added adresses that I know

Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I usually take the books we've outgrown to my kids' school and see if the teachers want them for their classroom library, or even to give to other students. You could also call charter schools in your neighborhood and see if they have a need for them.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 37,822 times
anywhere but goodwill

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times
I agree with staying away from Goodwill also. Take them to daycare centers, homeless shelters, elementary schools or a church. These places will use them or ensure those in need get them at no cost. I can't believe they even call themselves "Goodwill" anymore. They throw away most things donated and sell the rest and not always at prices the needy can afford. You might also consider children's consignment shops and whatever profit you make, donate it to a charity you trust. Just a few ideas and good luck!!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I don't get all of the smearing of Goodwill Industries in this thread. In San Antonio, Goodwill is a profit-generating non-profit that plows its profits into providing jobs and job training for needy people.

If you disagree with that mission, donate elsewhere. No big deal. Don't smear a charitable organization because it doesn't benefit the people you want it to benefit.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Goodwill has to pay for their storefronts and while many might think of donating clothes to them how many will donate money? So naturally they have more clothes than they can stock on shelves.

What is nice about Goodwill is someone in a situation need not sign up to any program, which many poor do not know how to do anyways, much less where to go especially if some small building across town. Goodwill serves a need, maybe not the most dire and desperate go to Goodwill but it has its niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio