U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Curious as to what the "reputation" is of Bracken. I haven't heard anything negative and we've been quite a few times. Staff always seems courteous and seems like they run a fairly tight ship.
I'd like to know also. I've been to Bracken many times, even took my daughter there to teach her to shoot. Never had any problems or issues there at all.

Bullethole definitely deserves its bad reputation though...I only live a few miles from there but I will drive the 20+ miles to Bracken or A Place to Shoot rather than go to Bullethole.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'd like to know also. I've been to Bracken many times, even took my daughter there to teach her to shoot. Never had any problems or issues there at all.

Bullethole definitely deserves its bad reputation though...I only live a few miles from there but I will drive the 20+ miles to Bracken or A Place to Shoot rather than go to Bullethole.
First time I went to Bullethole, I left about 30 minutes before that guy killed himself there. Won't be going back.

In all fairness, the staff was nice and they in NO way are responsible for that tragedy. However, a buddy of mine and I were there before it opened and waiting in the parking lot. Two idiots were just passing rifles back and forth in an incredibly unsafe way. Wasn't really impressed with the people that were using the facility.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Curious as to what the "reputation" is of Bracken. I haven't heard anything negative and we've been quite a few times. Staff always seems courteous and seems like they run a fairly tight ship.
I've heard numerous accounts of them accusing people of doing things they aren't doing (e.g. shooting at the stands instead of the target, trying to shoot over the berms, etc.) and getting into incorrect arguments with people over what weapons can be used on what ranges (they don't seem to realize that ARs and AKs can be legal pistols).

They've also made some ridiculous modifications to that range because of the claims of stray rounds hitting a new neighborhood built a quarter mile or so away. A full-sized male cannot shoot normally with those overhangs and they expect people to crouch down when they shoot.

Frequent some local firearms forums and there are numerous threads about some of the antics there, Cedar Ridge and the Bullethole. These are accounts from people I know and trust, not some strangers. I have no reason to doubt them.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
As for the Bullethole, back in the days when I shot there I routinely witnessed and reported serious safety violations to the staff that went unanswered. Not doing anything about people messing around with their firearms when the range is cold and we are out checking targets is irresponsible. Then, a good friend of mine who had annual family passes there was yelled at by the owner for picking up his own brass. She claimed it belonged to her!

But the final straw was when one of their employees about ran my son and I over in the parking lot, then he had the gall to yell at us. I told him what he could do, and promptly drove down to Blackhawk where they respect their customers. I've been back once, using a private bay with a friend visiting from out of state since he was time constrained and wanted to shoot some of my weapons; but I refuse to go back because of the reoccurring idiocy I witnessed. It's not just bad business practices, it's safety issues and when that individual killed himself the first thing I thought was it was a range accident. That wouldn't have surprised me...

Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times
I agree totally about Bullethole. Like I said, it's only a few miles from me but I will drive across town to shoot somewhere decent. I remember thinking the same thing about the suicide there, that it was likely a range accident.

I haven't had any problems at Bracken, but then again, I'm 5'3" and the low overhang works for me, and I'm just shooting a 9mm handgun so I guess I wouldn't run into the issues you're describing there.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I couldn't agree with this more. The guy that runs that place is an abolute jerk. It's not just that he is condescending or that he insults you if you don't answer his pre-range rules test EXACTLY the way he wants you to respond, it's that he seems to genuinely despise you for being there.

I've been there a couple of times when an older lady was working the counter and she is pleasant to deal with. The first time I encountered 'the owner' I was shocked at his behavior toward a customer but I tolerated it. The second time I encountered him, he was such a jerk I just left. Thirty minute drive to get out there and I just left because of his behavior, if that gives you any indication of how intollerant and petulant he is.

I would avoid this place at all costs and go somewhere that appreciates your business.
Yes, that guy is "off" and it really is like he is offended that you are there. He is an Ex Cop, I am a Cop and I want nothing to do with him.

He keeps a diary of peoples visits and infractions. The problem is, it is not accurate. I was there with some friend doing a going away gun range day (he was shipping off in the Air Force) everyone there was over 30 and dressed pretty "Texan."

We were having a good time. He shows up and wants to know who is rapid firing. (it was me) I said "I was" I honestly dont remember his exact words nor mine but I was very acquiescent (If you dont want that, I am sorry, I will not do that....)

He produced a book and started listing infractions I had committed. The problem is, it included dates that I was out of town. He ended the exchange by using the words "My people causing problems..." and then banned me for life. I left without incident.

I dont know what that means but I have talked to a few people with, shall we say, really obvious Jewish last names who have also been banned for life (what are the odds?)....and have drawn a similar conclusion as I have...the guy is an anti-semite and a jerk.

People can make their own choices and I support his right to run his business how he wishes but I and many others make a point to tell our stories.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM

I used to be affiliated with the Bullet hole. (I am in NO way now and I dont go there, ever)

I understand why people feel the way they do. It is small and they have had some problems with the staff in the past but the owners are wonderful people who have really turned that little plot of land into a fun place to shoot. They are powerful supporters of gun rights and the shooting community.

The private bays are really nice. They are also class III friendly. The other thing to consider is they are so very busy most of the time. It is going to be hard to make everyone happy.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM

342 posts, read 328,778 times
Anybody have any feedback on the National Shooting Complex off Roft Rd?

Been thinking about checking it out for a while now.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
Anybody have any feedback on the National Shooting Complex off Roft Rd?

Been thinking about checking it out for a while now.

It is an amazing facility. I have not been there in a while. I am sure their website can answer the questions but there hours used to be horrid. Something along the lines of open to the public one day a week.

While they do (did) have one little section where you can shoot pistol/rifle it is a very large shotgun sports complex. For that, it it one of the best in the world. I dont know when or how you shoot at the little gun/rifle area.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 PM

342 posts, read 328,778 times
I am getting into shooting trap, so thats fine with me I'm thinking as far as it being more shotgun oriented.

I know they are open two days a week to the public, so this sounds like a good thing so far.

Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio