Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 14,961 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm newly relocated to San Antonio and am looking for a nice pistol range near Stone Oak. Indoor would be preferable, but most everything around here seems to be outdoor. I've found a few places via Google search, but none got very good reviews and all were a bit of a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Take a look at this thread: Gun Shows, Shops and Ranges in San Antonio

The few outdoor ranges close to Stone Oak are not overly recommendable, unless you have a DoD ID card at which point Camp Bullis would be your best bet.

Honestly, the best indoor range in SA at the moment is Nardis on the SE side of town (roughly 90 and 410). It's a bit of a drive, but worth it.

If you want something closer, Bass Pro has an indoor range but you have to make an appointment (210-253-8800) and check your weapon in with them at the front door.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Bracken range isn't far from there. It's an outdoor range but it's clean and they run a tight ship out there. Sometimes there's a wait on the weekends though.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 14,961 times
Thanks for the replies thus far.

I've heard mixed things about Bracken, but may check it out.

I hadn't seen any mention of Nardis previously...the only indoor range I saw mentioned was Texas Thunder. I had seen postings on other sites that Bass never opened their indoor range, but it sounds like that info is incorrect. And I somehow didn't find the thread you linked me too, thank you!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 AM

You heard right about Bracken, and Cedar Ridge also has a bit of a "reputation."

Steer clear of Texas Thunder, way overpriced. Either hit Nardis or Bass Pro.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
Cedar Ridge is best for match participation if you are into that. They do steel challenge, USPSA and IDPA.

There is also Dietz on Hwy 46. It's outdoor. But M2 is corrrect - Nardis is the best indoor range around in San Antonio.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,152 times
I would avoid Cedar Ridge at all costs. The facilities are not bad but the owner is a nut case. He can make the experience horrible.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I would avoid Cedar Ridge at all costs. The facilities are not bad but the owner is a nut case. He can make the experience horrible.
I couldn't agree with this more. The guy that runs that place is an abolute jerk. It's not just that he is condescending or that he insults you if you don't answer his pre-range rules test EXACTLY the way he wants you to respond, it's that he seems to genuinely despise you for being there.

I've been there a couple of times when an older lady was working the counter and she is pleasant to deal with. The first time I encountered 'the owner' I was shocked at his behavior toward a customer but I tolerated it. The second time I encountered him, he was such a jerk I just left. Thirty minute drive to get out there and I just left because of his behavior, if that gives you any indication of how intollerant and petulant he is.

I would avoid this place at all costs and go somewhere that appreciates your business.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM

It's even worse if you're female, according to one of my co-workers.

That said, Texas Tactical has been hosting numerous matches there for years.

Personally, I steer clear of any range that has a bad reputation (Cedar Ridge, Bracken, Bullethole)...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
You heard right about Bracken, and Cedar Ridge also has a bit of a "reputation."

Steer clear of Texas Thunder, way overpriced. Either hit Nardis or Bass Pro.

Cheers! M2
Curious as to what the "reputation" is of Bracken. I haven't heard anything negative and we've been quite a few times. Staff always seems courteous and seems like they run a fairly tight ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio