U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,184,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The recent eviction from the Alamo of one of the oldest, largest chapters of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas has stirred the ire of traditionalists and left some wondering about the future of the shrine, which has seen a downturn in attendance and revenue.

Changes under the state's new Alamo oversight have further divided the oldest patriotic women's group in Texas.

Its more than 7,000 Daughters talk about “DRT unity” but some say the group has been fractured for several years. After the state told the 107-year-old Alamo Mission Chapter last month to relocate, the local chapter and statewide DRT, with a government contract at the shrine, are distancing from one another.
See rest of the story: Traditions are continuing to fall at the Alamo

I find it sad & ironic reading this article today.

Sad…for all the disputes going on.

Ironic... with regards to a spat over allowing
alcohol on the grounds.
I wonder what the defenders of the Alamo would think
of all this, since some were known to partake of the
strong brew... Cheers !

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted articles require posting a snippet (2-3 sentences only) from an article w/link per TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM

227 posts, read 282,559 times
Since there is an underground tunnel from the Alamo to the Menger Hotel, yes I have personally seen it although it is bricked over, I would think the soldiers of the Alamo partook at the old brewery that was built there prior to the hotel.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
I don't see much sad about it. The organization running The Alamo was in way over its head, but the state was afraid to cross them, for some reason. I see the recent changes as an opportunity to run the place more professionally, perhaps not having to devote such a large portion of the interior space to selling kitschy souvenirs.

I think I'd prefer that tourists paid to get in to the current arrangement. It's one of the very top tourist attractions in the entire state. People will pay to see it!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM

344 posts, read 332,106 times
The Daughters, especially the branch maintaining the Alamo have become one of the most corrupt organizations in this state.

Serves them right that this is all happening to them, they are lucky to still have a role in the Alamo really.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM

263 posts, read 368,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRick View Post
Since there is an underground tunnel from the Alamo to the Menger Hotel, yes I have personally seen it although it is bricked over, I would think the soldiers of the Alamo partook at the old brewery that was built there prior to the hotel.
I've also heard of a tunnel that suposedly starts at Nacogdoches at Cave Ln. where there is a large sink hole that leads down and into a tunnel that leads south.Any truth to that?I'd like to see that tunnel that leads to the Menger from the Alamo.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM

263 posts, read 368,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I don't see much sad about it. The organization running The Alamo was in way over its head, but the state was afraid to cross them, for some reason. I see the recent changes as an opportunity to run the place more professionally, perhaps not having to devote such a large portion of the interior space to selling kitschy souvenirs.

I think I'd prefer that tourists paid to get in to the current arrangement. It's one of the very top tourist attractions in the entire state. People will pay to see it!
Ive always Imagined a complete lay out of SAN ANTONIO De Bexar circa 1836,with the compound that surronded the Alamo up to scale so that the visitors can actualy see how it really looked like and can see where all the fighting took place ,which was on top of the barricks,wooden palasdes on the south wall in front of the old mission where Crokett defended with his voluteers,the cannon placements on the north wall where Travis met his death.The 04 movie of the Alamo set in Dripping Springs was to scale .It'sunfortunate I didn't get set foot on it,but I heard that it was like stepping back in time.Can you imagine the History that visitors can take home and talk about to freinds and relatives.I Imagine this area being east of SAN ANTONIO with its gently rolling hills ,the Cibolo Creek being the SAN ANTONIO river.The Re-enactment could take place just as it did in 1836.I know that there would pleanty of folks that would participate in it.This way visitors can take home a memory that they would never forget,and not remember the ALAMO as "THats's it !,I thought it was much larger than that.Trust me, it would work.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
I've also heard of a tunnel that suposedly starts at Nacogdoches at Cave Ln. where there is a large sink hole that leads down and into a tunnel that leads south.Any truth to that?I'd like to see that tunnel that leads to the Menger from the Alamo.
Supposedly, there were underground passages connecting one mission to
the others . These tunnels were used by missionaries in case of attacks by
hostile indians. I don't know if there is any validity to this.

Also with regards to this:

quote:
" the Alamo's well proved inadequate in supplying the garrison's
water needs. This forced the defenders to obtain water from the acequia
and reservoir to the east of the compound setting the stage for several
skirmishes."
end quote.
When I was working @ Kwex on Durango St. I had to cover a story
on the east side of the Alamo past the Crockett Hotel. I don't recall what
the story was , but I do remember that there was a crew demolishing old
buildings for new business construction. I remember a dried passage way
like the acequias I have seen at the other missions . The stones were similar
to the ones at the Alamo . I picked one stone as a souvenir before the huge
caterpillars cleared them up. I was thinking that this might have been the
acequia water way that Santa Anna's soldiers tried to block from the Alamo.
So much history all around us , it's a pity that it's not saved !

Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

It's all about the money……isn't it ….that's

Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,175,589 times
I can understand caves in this area, but tunnels? It would take some effort to connect the missions via tunnels, heck I can hardly dig deep enough in my backyard to plant bushes!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,921,023 times
Quote:
Another legend that persists to this day concerns a tunnel that once connected the Alamo and San Pedro Springs Park. The passageway was supposed to have been formed by a cave that ran much of the distance between the two sites, beginning in the Flag Room at the Alamo.
San Pedro Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio