U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 15,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Well, VIA has always been subsidized right? Why should this be any different? By definition, public transportation usually has some public funding and ongoing subsidy. Of course, I am sure that there may be some examples where this is not the case, but in general, this is the norm.
What I would like to know more about has to do with the financial projections related to the proposed streetcar: revenues, operating expenses, operating profit, net profit, cash flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM

824 posts, read 1,606,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4all View Post
What I would like to know more about has to do with the financial projections related to the proposed streetcar: revenues, operating expenses, operating profit, net profit, cash flow.
The streetcar will be operated by Via. To my knowledge, they've not broken out the operating expenses, at least at this stage.

I'm pretty sure what you're trying to do here, so here's a quick summary. Via was created by an election held in Bexar County in the 70's, receives its revenue from multiple sources (including local sales tax), and is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the City, County, and some other outlying suburban municipalities.

It's mission is to provide public transportation services. That's it. It's not charged with producing profit, any more than TXDOT, or the City of San Antonio, or the State of Texas.

Transportation is just like police, fire, drainage, trash collection, animal control, etc.: it's a public service that costs money.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,275,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
I will certainly agree that light rail is a very effective transportation solution. When applied correctly. That line going from downtown Dallas up to Plano is very effective. It's a solution. I don't see that in this case.

As far as maintaining existing roads vs light rail costs, light rail will have maintenance costs as well, so that's not a selling point for me. A safety and time/commerce study would be more convincing.
I guess its all dependent on the mind of the beholder. For me.. light rail would be productive because I would save money in gas that I have to pay every week to travel back and forth to work. I think that savings may actually effect your own bottom line after a while with less use of your vehicle to include the gas usage and wear and tear on your vehicle. Heck if it goes right that would include the fact that you may not even need a car after awhile depending on how well they build this transportation line. I think some of the mentality here is very narrow in that no one thinks beyond the tip of their nose and never look into the future. Light rail could possibly be a solution to break down all of these traffic jams. But heck thats just my point of view.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM

500 posts, read 801,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I guess its all dependent on the mind of the beholder. For me.. light rail would be productive because I would save money in gas that I have to pay every week to travel back and forth to work. I think that savings may actually effect your own bottom line after a while with less use of your vehicle to include the gas usage and wear and tear on your vehicle. Heck if it goes right that would include the fact that you may not even need a car after awhile depending on how well they build this transportation line. I think some of the mentality here is very narrow in that no one thinks beyond the tip of their nose and never look into the future. Light rail could possibly be a solution to break down all of these traffic jams. But heck thats just my point of view.
That's my point of view as well. Hence the comment of "when applied correctly". But heck, that's just my very narrow mentality.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,275,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
That's my point of view as well. Hence the comment of "when applied correctly". But heck, that's just my very narrow mentality.
The quote "if the shoe fits wear it" comes to mind. Not sure what I said was pointed at you 100%. I just know that some people will say things and not think about what they are saying. The fact that people are worried about what it costs to fund something that would be productive in our community and are not aware that they are currently paying taxes to fund road service and a whole bunch of other stuff that is counter productive. I mean how many times do you have to re-widen IH 10 or 281? I am almost sure that construction project was not "applied correctly" in that the people who developed that did not develop that project for future growth.

In my eyes we could have left IH 10 the way it was 20 years ago and built that rail system with the money we used on that the last two times we widened, put the second level on IH 10.

In my opinion the 281/410 Interchange was not applied correctly in that we will sooner or later have to fix the on ramp to the San Pedro exit fiasco. The traffic will eventually grid lock there and they will have to figure out what to do with it.

Nothing is perfect, but, it helps when people open their eyes and see the problems we have here. With more and more people piling into San Antonio from all over the country we will have to dig deep into our pockets because we will either pay for it in developing more lanes on 410/IH10/IH35/Loop1604/281 or put in a rail system. So I ask you... does it matter if we put that money towards roads and continue to rebuild them every four years or so? Or put in a rail system and make it so that we rely on rail/bus/Highways? Maybe if we put the rail in, the highway grid lock would become manageable. But as everyone knows if they dont build it where people need it then it is pretty much useless. I am pretty sure that is what you mean by "applied correctly". But understand this... the person who developed the 281/Loop 410 interchange and its problems will probably be the same person who developes the light rail. If this is the case.. then do I really need to say more?

Last edited by The Man in SATX; 01-19-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 15,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
The streetcar will be operated by Via. To my knowledge, they've not broken out the operating expenses, at least at this stage.

I'm pretty sure what you're trying to do here, so here's a quick summary. Via was created by an election held in Bexar County in the 70's, receives its revenue from multiple sources (including local sales tax), and is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the City, County, and some other outlying suburban municipalities.

It's mission is to provide public transportation services. That's it. It's not charged with producing profit, any more than TXDOT, or the City of San Antonio, or the State of Texas.

Transportation is just like police, fire, drainage, trash collection, animal control, etc.: it's a public service that costs money.
What I am trying to do is get a better understanding of the cost and benefits of the proposed streetcar system.

And a big part of that info relates to funding sources and making sure VIA is a good steward of taxpayer monies. I hope nobody here wants to build a streetcar system without knowing how we are going to pay for it. Has anyone seen numbers on how many cars would be taken off the road, gas saved & commute time saved due to reduced congestion, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio