U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM

216 posts, read 318,468 times

Advertisements

Hey sorry I left you hanging so long, as far as the kneading, you don't. Just make sure everything is well mixed. I used to use a regular dinner fork when mixing the water into the dry ingredients just a little at a time but since I got my Quisinart I'll have to admit it makes it a whole lot easier to just let it dribble the water in while mixing every thing. As soon as all the water is incorporated into the the mix I turn it off just leaving the dough in the machine for 20-30 minutes then start making the little balls to roll out. Like the previous member stated don't work it too much, mix it and let it rest, roll out and cook, Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,175,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
Hey sorry I left you hanging so long, as far as the kneading, you don't. Just make sure everything is well mixed. I used to use a regular dinner fork when mixing the water into the dry ingredients just a little at a time but since I got my Quisinart I'll have to admit it makes it a whole lot easier to just let it dribble the water in while mixing every thing. As soon as all the water is incorporated into the the mix I turn it off just leaving the dough in the machine for 20-30 minutes then start making the little balls to roll out. Like the previous member stated don't work it too much, mix it and let it rest, roll out and cook, Ray
Hey...don't feel sorry...I just made the best , softest "homemade"
Mexican tortillas ever...just like my grandma used to make. My wife
is hard to please & she loves them. The "secret" was in the kneading ,
the resting period & the right heat for the skillet.
Thank You !

Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,903,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Kneading too long can make dough tough. The idea of kneading yeast bread dough is that the wheat glutens form chains that give the bread its texture, but you don't want to make tortillas with the texture of bread.

I knead with the mixer so I can't give you an idea of time (about 1 min 30 seconds in the KA mixer) but my dough is done when it looks smooth and is not sticky.
Loving the food science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Hey...don't feel sorry...I just made the best , softest "homemade"
Mexican tortillas ever...just like my grandma used to make. My wife
Thank You !
Grats!

My mother told me never to marry a girl who cannot cook homemade tortillas from scratch. I don't think either of us followed that advice. Grats again, this time for taking the initiative and learning to make them yourself. If you have any children to feed be sure to roll out a couple of small ones for them.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 AM

216 posts, read 318,468 times
When my daughter was about 5 or 6 I bought her a little rolling pin just about 12" long so she could help rolling out the tortillas. Recently, well back about the end of September, I was visiting her and her husband in Massachusetts. We decide we wanted to make a Texas breakfast for her husbands college Rugby team. We had a heck of a time trying to find "manteca" we went to at least 5 stores before we found some lard, I didn't want to settle for vegetable shortening. We made the masa the night before because we had to make 4 or 5 dozen tortillas. I made some pork picadillo and scrambled eggs bacon and of course, refried beans, the team loved it. The best part though was standing beside my daughter as we rolled out and cooked those tortillas and all the wonderful memories it brought back. People say it's too much trouble to make tortillas from scratch, we'll I'm sorry but opening a bag and zapping a flapper in the microwave is okay in a pinch but it just doesn't leave any lasting memories in my mind.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM

Default Fond Memories !

"Feel Good Memories"...that's what it's all about really

I don't want to stir the pot...& this might be going off course on
the topic.But... I remember, my Grandmother cooking
the best Frijoles ( pinto beans) in a Mexican "clay" pot. Like this..

The wife says that these pots contain lead & should not be used to
cook beans. She uses stainless steel pots. But...the beans do not have
the same flavor. Vaguely remember ...my Abuelita, cleaning the beans,
meaning...removing the small stones & rinsing & cooking in the Mexican
pot , not sure if she put a slight spoon of "manteca" .We would have bean
soup or later refried beans from this. My wife puts slices of bacon & garlic.
I don't recall if my grandma did that or what other ingredients she added.
Do you know if there are Mexican pots that do not contain lead ?
I guess @ the market square might still sell them for cooking !
My grandma lived to age of 98.I think back then there wasn't all the
chemicals or preservatives like today in foods . Progress ?

When I'm at the food store & read the labels of any food can....
I see words like monosodium glutamate,potassium chloride'
artificial flavoring/coloring,soy lecithin,maltodextrim
beta carotene,sodium phosphate,disodium inosinate,
disodium guanylate,
... ...hijole...gets a little spooky , no ?

At any rate...at my age..lead or not...
I might buy one...( aay.. no seas tan menso... wait for replies..)

Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,747,780 times
Quote:
Hey...don't feel sorry...I just made the best , softest "homemade"Mexican tortillas ever...just like my grandma used to make. My wife
Thank You !
Hey, thanks for making me hungry now.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 AM

11,151 posts, read 20,362,688 times
Quote:
"Feel Good Memories"...that's what it's all about really

I don't want to stir the pot...& this might be going off course on
the topic.But... I remember, my Grandmother cooking
the best Frijoles ( pinto beans) in a Mexican "clay" pot. Like this..

The wife says that these pots contain lead & should not be used to
cook beans. She uses stainless steel pots. But...the beans do not have
the same flavor. Vaguely remember ...my Abuelita, cleaning the beans,
meaning...removing the small stones & rinsing & cooking in the Mexican
pot , not sure if she put a slight spoon of "manteca" .We would have bean
soup or later refried beans from this. My wife puts slices of bacon & garlic.
I don't recall if my grandma did that or what other ingredients she added.
Do you know if there are Mexican pots that do not contain lead ?
I guess @ the market square might still sell them for cooking !
My grandma lived to age of 98.I think back then there wasn't all the
chemicals or preservatives like today in foods . Progress ?

When I'm at the food store & read the labels of any food can....
I see words like monosodium glutamate,potassium chloride'
artificial flavoring/coloring,soy lecithin,maltodextrim
beta carotene,sodium phosphate,disodium inosinate,
disodium guanylate,... ...hijole...gets a little spooky , no ?

At any rate...at my age..lead or not...
I might buy one...( aay.. no seas tan menso... wait for replies..)
My mom had one of those pots. She never cooked a bean in it that I can recall, but one time she tried to make her own wine coolers with a jug of cheap wine and some sprite. She poured the leftovers back in the wine jug and hid it inside her bean pot, in the cupboard above the stove. We always left the light in the vent hood on, so that cupboard was pretty warm. One night the wine jug exploded (I guess the extra sugar from the sprite made it ferment more) and blew pieces of bean pot and glass 20 feet away into the fireplace. It also took out the top of the cupboard and made a hole in the ceiling. We found the lid from the bean pot in the attic

Anyhow, when I cook beans I use the crock pot and I pick out the dirt and rocks, rinse the beans, then put them in a pan on the stove with about 6" of water above the beans. Add a spoonful of baking soda to help cut the farts from the beans. Bring it to a boil, put the lid on, turn the pan off and let it soak for an hour. Then drain the beans, put them in the crock pot with a generous spoonful of minced garlic, about a half tablespoon each of chile powder and comino, a sprinkle of black pepper, and about 4 ounces of bacon (I buy the box at the store that says "ends and pieces" and then divide it all up and freeze it). Cook on high about six hours, or all day on low. If you don't have any bacon, you can add the manteca, but bacon is better if you have some. They come out better than beans cooked in a metal pan.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 AM

Default Crock Pot !

Quote:
My mom had one of those pots. She never cooked a bean in it that I can recall, but one time she tried to make her own wine coolers with a jug of cheap wine and some sprite. She poured the leftovers back in the wine jug and hid it inside her bean pot, in the cupboard above the stove. We always left the light in the vent hood on, so that cupboard was pretty warm. One night the wine jug exploded (I guess the extra sugar from the sprite made it ferment more) and blew pieces of bean pot and glass 20 feet away into the fireplace. It also took out the top of the cupboard and made a hole in the ceiling. We found the lid from the bean pot in the attic

Anyhow, when I cook beans I use the crock pot and I pick out the dirt and rocks, rinse the beans, then put them in a pan on the stove with about 6" of water above the beans. Add a spoonful of baking soda to help cut the farts from the beans. Bring it to a boil, put the lid on, turn the pan off and let it soak for an hour. Then drain the beans, put them in the crock pot with a generous spoonful of minced garlic, about a half tablespoon each of chile powder and comino, a sprinkle of black pepper, and about 4 ounces of bacon (I buy the box at the store that says "ends and pieces" and then divide it all up and freeze it). Cook on high about six hours, or all day on low. If you don't have any bacon, you can add the manteca, but bacon is better if you have some. They come out better than beans cooked in a metal pan.
Reading this is really making me very hungry....

Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 AM

11,151 posts, read 20,362,688 times
I have some in the fridge right now too!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I have some in the fridge right now too!

Oh Goody !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio