U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,820,158 times

Advertisements

Here is the central issue that is so often overlooked or dismissed by gun control advocates. Nobody made the two people that ended up getting shot go out looking for a car to steal. If you willingly look to take someone else's property, something they worked to earn, just because you want it, you do so at your own peril. If they were not out at 2am, trespassing, and burglarizing someone elses property, one would still be alive, and the other would not be in critical condition. Don't break the law. Don't take what isn't your. Don't creep around private property in the small hours of the morning.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,898,236 times
You CAN'T recover emotionally from killing someone over stealing a Toyota. Deadly force is to prevent loss of life. Now one man is dead, one is in critical condition, and one is mentally destroyed for life. It's true the thieves were idiots. It's true that stealing a car is very wrong and deserves prison time. I'm not a gun control advocate.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,273,650 times
I agree with using deadly force if your life is in danger - if you're in a kill, or be killed situation and you have the ability to save your own life, then of course you do what you have to do - I'm just saying I don't know how you reconcile putting someone to sleep for jacking a car.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,202 times
... because the perpetrator turned on the homeowner after he was confronted..... instead of running away like most of the cowards would do....

Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM

188 posts, read 386,486 times
What if these guys got away, sped away from the scene or became involved in a car chase? What if they ran a red light and killed an innocent person, maybe a child or family member? That stuff happens. They made the decision to break the law. They risked their lives and one ultimately lost, the other forever changed. Actions have consequences.
I don't think it's worth losing a life over a stupid car, but maybe this will make thieves think twice.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM

11,138 posts, read 20,301,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
... because the perpetrator turned on the homeowner after he was confronted..... instead of running away like most of the cowards would do....
If the guy had stayed in the house and called the police, he wouldn't have been in the situation. He created the confrontation.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,168,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If the guy had stayed in the house and called the police, he wouldn't have been in the situation. He created the confrontation.
He created the confrontation? He was defending his personal property under statute. If he had called the police, he would have waited and then made a police report with zero accomplished. I think this guy did a great service to the city.

Let's just sit and let people take what doesn't belong to them, and be innocent sheep. The crooks will just magically stop because it's wrong, or because the police were called.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 PM

6,256 posts, read 8,983,551 times
Sorry - but if you try to steal from me, be prepared to suffer the consequences. They get away with this one, they'll steal another.....and another. Maybe the next one they steal will have something precious to you inside of it, or they'll kill someone with it as they try to elude police.

Sorry - no sympathy and no lost sleep.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
He created the confrontation? He was defending his personal property under statute. If he had called the police, he would have waited and then made a police report with zero accomplished. I think this guy did a great service to the city.

Let's just sit and let people take what doesn't belong to them, and be innocent sheep. The crooks will just magically stop because it's wrong, or because the police were called.
Just because TX law says something is legal doesn't mean it's morally right. He killed someone over a car, not because his life was at risk. He went outside and started the confrontation. His life was safe inside the house, he put himself at risk to save his Toyota.

Personally, I would have let them take the car. I've had things stolen from me before and I've suffered because of it. I still wouldn't end somebody's life for taking my belongings. If somebody needs something badly enough to steal it, let them steal it and let them have that on their conscience. I won't have their death on mine.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM

My husband thinks it's great that the guy defended his property also. He says if anyone tries to steal his truck, he hopes he's awake to shoot them. Must be a guy thing, I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio