U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,821,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Unsure why in both these stories you have disproportionately focused on theft when both feature murder?
First, is the case of Stone Oak, it wasn't murder, no charges are being filed against person defending his property per the latest statement from SAPD. Second, what you fail to recognize, is that the deaths in both cases would have been prevented had the criminals not been in the process of breaking the law. Funny how you keep overlooking that very central point.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,842,774 times
Quote:
The first seven words of the second paragraph in the quote above really stand out.

IDK why it would stand out it's nothing different than what most have said in this thread if you include the whole sentence. After exhausting attempts to convince my SO I still do not have the gun in the house. I do have a worthless bull dog that will most likely gang up on whoever is loosing in a struggle. (even me)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Quote:
Unsure why in both these stories you have disproportionately focused on theft when both feature murder?
Because it was the theft that led to the murder.

Honestly, it is about as ridiculous as New York claiming all its crime comes from neighboring states because they have such great gun laws!

I am saddened by the loss of the teenager, he was on his way to a full and productive life when it was all cut short by the same criminals you seem to defend. How anyone can morally do that is beyond me!

But I suspect the pacifists will say he shouldn't have tried to stop the criminal from stealing his car. Having been a poor college student at one point of my life, I can understand how important it probably was to him. It might have been his most valuable possession, but now some scumbag criminal has not only taken it but the teenager's life as well.

I only wish the young man had a gun and would have been able to defend himself. As for the thief, he seemed to have no problem in taking a human life, where's your outrage about that?!?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM

77 posts, read 131,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I only wish the young man had a gun and would have been able to defend himself. As for the thief, he seemed to have no problem in taking a human life, where's your outrage about that?!?
This is my argument for me. I said earlier that not all human life has value. If you are going to try to tell me that this POS who killed his kid has value, then you are crazy. This is exactly what I am saying. If I had to choose between saving this punk or a cat out of a burning building, I will pick the cat anyday of the week.

Someone mentioned that these people can be rehabilitated. I dont want someone who will kill a kid to be rehabilitated. They ended a young life that actually had promise. They dont deserve to be rehabilitated. These people will take you out without hesitation. All I hope is others return the favor.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Per the Texas Penal Code...
It's interesting that the law specifically states the acts have to be committed at night....

Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
A significant percentage seem to be gun owners and I try to be nosy about it so I can see what precautions they take for storing it. This is a kid friendly area and our kids criss-cross the neighborhoods on play dates and I want to make sure my kid won't wind up in a home where someone is careless about it. I came from a hunting family where gun safety was drilled at a young age, but the majority of these aforementioned people started as adults and merely took a safety course.
I think the absolute best thing you can do is not rely on others to ensure their firearms are safely stored but to teach your kids about guns and what to do if they find themselves in a situation that they shouldn't be in (i.e. another kid playing with/handling a gun). Leave immediately and contact an adult. Not ideal but they need to know that it's wrong and they need to get the hell out of where they're at.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
It's interesting that the law specifically states the acts have to be committed at night....
That particular aspect has been debated ad nauseam as to how it applies.

Quote:
to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime
It pretty much boils down to how the Penal Code defines theft, burglary, and robbery...

Quote:
31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property.(b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if: (1) it is without the owner's effective consent; (2) the property is stolen and the actor appropriates the property knowing it was stolen by another; or (3) property in the custody of any law enforcement agency was explicitly represented by any law enforcement agent to the actor as being stolen and the actor appropriates the property believing it was stolen by another.
Quote:
30.02. BURGLARY. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner, the person: (1) enters a habitation, or a building (or any portion of a building) not then open to the public, with intent to commit a felony, theft, or an assault; or(2) remains concealed, with intent to commit a felony, theft, or an assault, in a building or habitation; or(3) enters a building or habitation and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft, or an assault.(b) For purposes of this section, "enter" means to intrude: (1) any part of the body; or(2) any physical object connected with the body.(c) Except as provided in Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a: (1) state jail felony if committed in a building other than a habitation; or(2) felony of the second degree if committed in a habitation.(d) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree if: (1) the premises are a habitation; and(2) any party to the offense entered the habitation with intent to commit a felony other than felony theft or committed or attempted to commit a felony other than felony theft.
Quote:
29.02. ROBBERY. (a) A person commits an offense if, in the course of committing theft as defined in Chapter 31 and with intent to obtain or maintain control of the property, he: (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another; or (2) intentionally or knowingly threatens or places another in fear of imminent bodily injury or death.
How that's determined is up to the prosecutors, defenders and courts involved.

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 01-16-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM

It is also illegal to make a firearm accessible to a child...

Quote:
46.13 MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD

(a) In this section:

(1) "Child" means a person younger than 17 years of age.

(2) "Readily dischargeable firearm" means a firearm that is loaded with ammunition, whether or not a round is in the chamber.

(3) "Secure" means to take steps that a reasonable person would take to prevent the access to a readily dischargeable firearm by a child, including but not limited to placing a firearm in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm inoperable by a trigger lock or other means.

(b) A person commits an offense if a child gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal negligence:

(1) failed to secure the firearm; or

(2) left the firearm in a place to which the person knew or should have known the child would gain access.

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the child's access to the firearm:

(1) was supervised by a person older than 18 years of age and was for hunting, sporting, or other lawful purposes;

(2) consisted of lawful defense by the child of people or property;

(3) was gained by entering property in violation of this code; or

(4) occurred during a time when the actor was engaged in an agricultural enterprise.

(d) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

(e) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor if the child discharges the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury to himself or another person.

(f) A peace officer or other person may not arrest the actor before the seventh day after the date on which the offense is committed if:

(1) the actor is a member of the family, as defined by Section 71.003, Family Code, of the child who discharged the firearm; and

(2) the child in discharging the firearm caused the death of or serious injury to the child.

(g) A dealer of firearms shall post in a conspicuous position on the premises where the dealer conducts business a sign that contains the following warning in block letters not less than one inch in height:

"IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE, TRANSPORT, OR ABANDON AN UNSECURED FIREARM IN A PLACE WHERE CHILDREN ARE LIKELY TO BE AND CAN OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE FIREARM."

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 83, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 15.02(g), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think it's horrible to kill someone over a car.

I like my cars, but if someone was stealing one of them, I'd stay inside and call the police. My cars are insured. I have guns for home defense, but those are to protect my kids if someone breaks in while we're home. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I killed someone because they were stealing my car. If my life was in danger, I would be able to deal with it, but I'm not going to kill someone and risk my soul over a Toyota.

He's also lucky that the thieves didn't have a gun and didn't shoot him instead.
This is a statement that makes no sense to me.

In fact, this whole post makes absolutely NO sense to me. How do you know you're killing someone over a car??? You don't! You have NO idea, and only SECONDS to react, when two grown men are in your driveway in the dark! I mean, really??? I think I'd be able to live with myself JUST FREAKING FINE if there were two dudes on my property messing with my stuff and me not knowing what their motives were in any way! I love the feel-good sentimentalism over the human soul here. What a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The Castle Doctrine was extended to include protection of your vehicle in 2007. Six years ago. The lowlifes need to update their handbooks to reflect the changes. I don't think they read the memo.
Yep. What's so funny about people today is, they don't get that 100+ years ago, stealing a horse was punishable by hanging. It's property that belongs to you, therefore it is an extension of yourself, therefore you have the RIGHT to protect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband thinks it's great that the guy defended his property also. He says if anyone tries to steal his truck, he hopes he's awake to shoot them. Must be a guy thing, I just don't get it.
Wow. A guy thing? How absolutely insulting. I bet you won't think that if they come busting through your door.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM

5,556 posts, read 3,901,670 times
Defending your property is all well and good. But the Grim Reaper has no place in the attempted theft of a Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio