U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 12,040 times

Advertisements

ok so i need some help/advice. I currently am a tenant at Mod edit: an apartment complex here in san antonio. I turned in my money order via the night drop box as I usually do but this time the apartment LOST my money order. I have the original receipt of the money order and have provide the office a copy of it. I also advised them that i have sent the receipt to western union to get a refund for the total amount so the office can have their rent. This has prevented us from being locked out but now we have to go to court because they want to evict us! I have all the documentation that proves we sent the m/o receipt in for a refund and that it does take up to 30days for processing. With all the info they still do not want to wait and just want their money ( which they lost....). I have got in touch with WOAI and even go to do an interview with them and they are now looking into this. Just want to know if anyone else has had this happen and what they did.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: consumer complaint about a specific business not permitted per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM

5,607 posts, read 6,387,942 times
I don't understand why someone would pay for apartment rent with a money order.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,321,899 times
I think you did the right thing by contacting the media...IF you have the proof that it was made out to them for your rent amt, and they lost it, then hopefully they can put pressure on them to make right for their mistake. Maybe the media can also help the "refund" process along as well. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM

11,124 posts, read 20,225,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I don't understand why someone would pay for apartment rent with a money order.
Because when you write a check and you put it in the night drop, you're risking your bank account, your credit history and even possibly your freedom.

Sound dramatic? Sure. But in 2007, I paid my rent with a check in the night drop at my apartment complex. That night, someone used a stick with a ball of tape on the end to fish out all of the checks and money orders that were in the drop box. The apartment complex didn't tell me they hadn't gotten the check. Back then, I wasn't banking online, so when $700 came out of my account, I assumed it was the rent check. It wasn't, it was a check for a computer at a Walmart in Houston. Then my husband's paycheck was direct deposited, and disappeared right away. My checking and savings accounts were linked, and the savings was emptied also. At that point, I confronted the apartment complex about the check, and they said that their box had been broken into the night that I paid, but they hadn't reported it to the police. I went to the bank and closed my accounts. They showed me the checks that were coming in, they had our old address and my husband's driver's license number on them (which was never printed on our checks). The checks were being used in a small town. I started calling the businesses there and asking if they had video footage of the checks being written. From that, I found out that they were showing a driver's license with my husband's name on it, but a picture of the tall redheaded man who was writing the checks. I even tracked down the motel where the people were staying, and we called a detective in that small county. He caught some of the people doing it. We were getting letters from bill collectors and postcards saying we had warrants. It took a lot of paperwork to get all of that cleared up. We had to put a fraud alert on our credit. At one point, a detective from the state anti-terrorism unit came to our apartment and wanted to take my husband "downtown" for a talk. We refused and gave him all the case reports, forgery affadavits, etc...a huge binder of paperwork trying to prove our innocence, because identity theft is the one crime where everyone assumes that you're guilty and you have to spend your own time and money proving you're not. Another time, two men from the secret service showed up on our doorstep and wanted to know if we'd been staying in hotels on the riverwalk.

We thought everything was done with, all the loose ends tied up and all that good stuff. Then late last year, the DA's office in the county where they had caught the identity thief turned in one of the old checks. My husband got pulled over for an expired sticker on his car, and it turned out he had a warrant in that county for one of the checks. I started making phone calls right away, but my husband still had to spend the night in jail before we could get it all straightened out.

We don't even have checks for our accounts anymore. We pay everything online or with a debit card. If I absolutely have to have a check for something, I buy a cashier's check, because that's easier to track than a money order.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM

11,124 posts, read 20,225,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanin89 View Post
ok so i need some help/advice. I currently am a tenant at Mod edit: an apartment complex here in san antonio. I turned in my money order via the night drop box as I usually do but this time the apartment LOST my money order. I have the original receipt of the money order and have provide the office a copy of it. I also advised them that i have sent the receipt to western union to get a refund for the total amount so the office can have their rent. This has prevented us from being locked out but now we have to go to court because they want to evict us! I have all the documentation that proves we sent the m/o receipt in for a refund and that it does take up to 30days for processing. With all the info they still do not want to wait and just want their money ( which they lost....). I have got in touch with WOAI and even go to do an interview with them and they are now looking into this. Just want to know if anyone else has had this happen and what they did.
After this, pay in person. Take it inside, make them give you a receipt with a photocopy of the money order. And keep all those receipts in a folder for as long as you live in the complex.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,431,012 times
Been there, done that, still dealing with identity theft. Long story short, Uhaul trailer stolen in Utah in 2004 on our move down here from Alaska. Somehow crooks were able to gain access to bank account info (to this day we still don't know how they figured it out or managed it). That was 2004....in 2012 I was still receiving letters and calls from creditors asking us about a certain communications account. Every year since 2004, I have had to send some sort of documentation to a creditor about something that pops up.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,321,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Because when you write a check and you put it in the night drop, you're risking your bank account, your credit history and even possibly your freedom.

Sound dramatic? Sure. But in 2007, I paid my rent with a check in the night drop at my apartment complex. That night, someone used a stick with a ball of tape on the end to fish out all of the checks and money orders that were in the drop box. The apartment complex didn't tell me they hadn't gotten the check. Back then, I wasn't banking online, so when $700 came out of my account, I assumed it was the rent check. It wasn't, it was a check for a computer at a Walmart in Houston. Then my husband's paycheck was direct deposited, and disappeared right away. My checking and savings accounts were linked, and the savings was emptied also. At that point, I confronted the apartment complex about the check, and they said that their box had been broken into the night that I paid, but they hadn't reported it to the police. I went to the bank and closed my accounts. They showed me the checks that were coming in, they had our old address and my husband's driver's license number on them (which was never printed on our checks). The checks were being used in a small town. I started calling the businesses there and asking if they had video footage of the checks being written. From that, I found out that they were showing a driver's license with my husband's name on it, but a picture of the tall redheaded man who was writing the checks. I even tracked down the motel where the people were staying, and we called a detective in that small county. He caught some of the people doing it. We were getting letters from bill collectors and postcards saying we had warrants. It took a lot of paperwork to get all of that cleared up. We had to put a fraud alert on our credit. At one point, a detective from the state anti-terrorism unit came to our apartment and wanted to take my husband "downtown" for a talk. We refused and gave him all the case reports, forgery affadavits, etc...a huge binder of paperwork trying to prove our innocence, because identity theft is the one crime where everyone assumes that you're guilty and you have to spend your own time and money proving you're not. Another time, two men from the secret service showed up on our doorstep and wanted to know if we'd been staying in hotels on the riverwalk.

We thought everything was done with, all the loose ends tied up and all that good stuff. Then late last year, the DA's office in the county where they had caught the identity thief turned in one of the old checks. My husband got pulled over for an expired sticker on his car, and it turned out he had a warrant in that county for one of the checks. I started making phone calls right away, but my husband still had to spend the night in jail before we could get it all straightened out.

We don't even have checks for our accounts anymore. We pay everything online or with a debit card. If I absolutely have to have a check for something, I buy a cashier's check, because that's easier to track than a money order.
And stories like THIS are EXACTLY why we pay for Lifelock!!! What a nightmare!!!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,179,026 times
Since I am a landlord, I will chime in with my two cents. I have had tenants who pay with money orders and leave them in the drop box. I also always instruct tenants to write on the back"for deposit only". That insures that it cannot be cashed, only deposited.
That being said, I have had tenants who have said they put the MO in the box and I do not have it. Most people cannot pay 2 rents in one month, so they expect me to wait until the refund arrives. NOT. I file for eviction for non-payment of rent. It protects me from having another excuse the next month and eviction is in process. I have seen all kinds of tricks and excuses when someone does not have the rent. I do not take ANY excuse. I do tell people to tell me ahead of time if there is a problem, we will work it out. If you wait till the last day of the grace period and tell me you left a MO and it's not there. No excuse.
I could write a book about the 20 years of collecting rents and stories of why a tenant does not have the rent.
I would say that the reason the tenant is facing eviction is a business practise by the complex. Get the money and stop the eviction process.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 01-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM

5,607 posts, read 6,387,942 times
Thanks Hedgehog Mom. Makes sense now.

I just never heard of apartments taking money orders as payment before this.

When I lived in an apt, I just paid electronically online through my bank. Easy.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,040 times
ShaneSA that is 100% understandable but we have been late only once and we paid the late fees and rent the next day no issues. The thing i dont get is why would i make the full money order and keep it then claim that it was turned in. Then go so far as getting the media and corporate involved. Just is not logical to go through all this stress and bs if i had the money order. If i had the money **** i would just pay them again since i am getting the full refund anyways but i dont. My lease ends this month and i will be moving into a house and done with apartments. I have even provided them with copies front and back of the money order receipt and the tracking info so they can track the money order that was sent to western union and can track it when it gets sent back. With all this evidence it shows that i am doing all i can to get them their money. Doesn't help that the manager in the office is no help at all. Will not provide any info for corporate or regional manager, they state they will have them call me but never receive a call. To top it off the property management company does not respond to calls or emails either. I just dont want an eviction on my record that is not my fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or