Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 12,213 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
I am in my early 20's and graduating from college in a few months on the west coast from a high cost of living city (living w/ parents). I am seriously considering taking a risk by moving to SA to start fresh perhaps go to grad school in a few years. I will have a BA in Healthcare Administration (not sure how marketable my degree will be), have about $10,000 saved and receive monthly military drill pay.

Any advice from those who have made the move? How is the job market (anything relevant to entry in healthcare administration)? Where are affordable/safe places for those in their 20's to live? How is the traffic/public transportation in SA? If you have made the move, how did you make the transition? Tips for finding a job? What are the pro's and con's of SA? What do you do for fun in SA? How much is the average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment along w/ utilities?
What is the average cost of gas, milk, electricity, water, wi-fi, etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM

229 posts, read 672,537 times
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the healthcare industry in SA but perhaps I can help you with some of your other questions. For the most part traffic here is not bad, unfortunately, public transport can be poor depending on where you live. Your only choice is the bus system. I know some people who have lived their whole lives in SA without a car and have not had much problems getting places.

A 1 br apartment should be fairly reasonable, maybe ~$600-700 a month, but it can be less depending on how fancy you want to get. Thankfully, utilities are fairly cheap here, I pay about $100-$150 per month for all my utilities ($150 is in summer). Gas is currently ~$3.15, a gallon of milk is ~$3.00, and monthly internet is about $40/month.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
The health care industry is a big business here, so there may be options, but why wait to look for a job? Why not start looking NOW? And since you're not tied to San Antonio, why not broaden your horizons to other cities? One huge advantage you have right now is that you can go anywhere for a job. SA is great and there may be opportunities, but I'd search for the job first, then move.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I taking it you are already a drilling Reservist, have you already obtained a slot with a local unit? If not, it may not be as simple as you expect.

As for a "regular" job, there are numerous ways you can broach the medical market in San Antonio before moving here. I suggest you pursue those and try to lock in employment before moving here. Else, you may want to consider taking a job outside of that field in the interim to ensure you have a positive cash flow.

Good luck with your endeavor, SA is more of a family-oriented town but there are places to go and things to do as a single person.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
I lived in San Antonio and liked it but left because overall job quality was not good. You might want to consider Austin- job quality is better there and there are lots of educated young people there with an excellent downtown, great music scene and nightlife . UT-Austin is regarded as an outstanding university as well. Austin is somewhat more expensive but still cheaper than most places on the west coast.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I absolutely would not move without a job lined up. Oh how quick the money can go and the months can go so fast. You certainly don't want to see your saving going south as you look for a position. As for healthcare, quite a number of military seem to stay in the area and often the new job openings will go to ex military. A BA in Healthcare is a small fish to the Master's degree and in this economy plenty of people are out there looking. It's still a who ya know world, do you have any contacts in the area, maybe through the military? Since you do the monthly drill, you might write a letter to the Administrator at Wilford Hall, asking if he can give you any ideas where you might apply in the area. They do keep an eye on the civilian sector there too.

Try and be creative with your resume, personnel might get 300 resumes and spend 30 seconds on each. Catching their eye means spending more time on yours. I used to make mine like a book, I used heavy cardstock paper it would open like a book and was concise and easy to read. Even its shape made it different from the rest. The resume is the only chance you have to sell them.

I would stay put, if SA is a place you'd like to send resumes, fine, but don't move without a job! Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I taking it you are already a drilling Reservist, have you already obtained a slot with a local unit? If not, it may not be as simple as you expect.

As for a "regular" job, there are numerous ways you can broach the medical market in San Antonio before moving here. I suggest you pursue those and try to lock in employment before moving here. Else, you may want to consider taking a job outside of that field in the interim to ensure you have a positive cash flow.

Good luck with your endeavor, SA is more of a family-oriented town but there are places to go and things to do as a single person.

Cheers! M2
Thanks majormadex for your advice! Yes, I was able to get a slot. Anyway any advice to approaching the medical market in SA before moving? or when I get there.

Thank you =)

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 AM

Hi Todd thanks for the tips! Austin does have a lot of pro's but San Antonio seems to be a good starter city. The job hunting tips are helpful. I am considering a master degree in a year or so. Hopefully I can find an decent entry level job. Do you live in SA? How do you like it? What are okay priced areas to live in?
-Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Hi Steffle, No I don't live there now but used to. But its been awhile so in regards to the best areas for an apartment I will defer to my fellow SA posters. I had a house in the north central area of the city, 78217. I did like the city a lot, I'm very pro-SA.

When you do become serious about apartments, be sure and look at the spot crime map. You can find that link on the WOAI TV website. That way you can get an idea of area crime. Also before taking a place be sure to look at the state sexual offender registry list. If you plan to move to the area, I would encourage you to keep up with news in metro SA. It might give you a better idea where you want to live and being well informed about the city can't hurt when interviewing. Best of Luck.

I don't know how well you know the city, but will include a link for the apartments in the area, and a zip code map that helps with the apartment map.
San Antonio Apartments for Rent - San Antonio Apartments Reviews and Ratings
https://www.maxleaman.com/mortgage-r...o-zip-code-map

WOAI.com | WOAI: San Antonio News

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 5,929 times
San Antonio is a great place to start working in the health profession. Im sure you already know of the MEdical center and Stone Oaks Hospitals. I am in my mid 20s and I would prefer the North Central area or med center closer to UTSA. A nice apartment in this area with bills... I would say a little over 800/month. I just leased an aprtment off blanco and wurzbach for 700/month and its wonderful, wood floors, close to 410 and med center.

There are ALWAYS job openings in this city in healthcare. I don't think you will have a problem. Try first at Christus Santa Rosa hospitals, very good christian based company. Also I hear the Baptist Health System is great place to work also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio