U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,975 times

Advertisements

Most of my friends who are looking for a daycare are interested in preschools with an education program. Since the majority of us are paying for daycare...why not spend a little of our tax money to create a preschool program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 PM

5,633 posts, read 6,455,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Most of my friends who are looking for a daycare are interested in preschools with an education program. Since the majority of us are paying for daycare...why not spend a little of our tax money to create a preschool program?
Why don't the parents pay for it themselves since they pay for daycare already?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM

6,279 posts, read 9,052,748 times
Quote:
mmmmm....maybe because it isn't up to the CITY to educate the kids???

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,923,188 times
Quote:
Benefits of Pre-school:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...fits-the-brain

Most brain connections are made are made in these early years, why not try to take full advantage of these learning years?

Where are you getting your info?

"The biggest positive effects were seen in boys and in the children of the least educated parents. Reynolds says that because boys are generally less prepared to start school than girls are, the early intervention gives them a particular advantage. Likewise, children of less educated parents are more likely to benefit from the enriched cognitive environment of preschool." Time magazine

Read more: Study: The Benefits of Preschool Last 25 Years Later | TIME.com

Study: The Benefits of Preschool Last 25 Years Later | TIME.com
Indeed, the actual studies speak for themselves.

Seattle P-I has an article that covers more of the reasons why different cities were chosen. San Antonio fell under the Human Capital category.

Quote:
For example, San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro and local business and civic leaders championed a ballot initiative, which passed in November, to provide $31 million per year in new sales tax revenues to build city centers in which thousands of pre-K children will be educated mostly for free. The long-term goal: build a more skilled workforce for the region.
Top Ten Most Innovative Economic Development Initiatives Announced by Brookings Institution, Rockefeller Foundation - seattlepi.com

It is so good to see our leaders move our city in the right direction informed by actual scholarship regarding the benefits of pre-K. Our city is going to benefit tremendously because enough voters also cared.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You will find that not only do those who actually live in San Antonio (I don't believe you do) disagree with your view but that enough of us voted accordingly. When the state fails us we the people of the city will do what needs to be done with or without the support of those from outside our communities.

You are welcome to join us in celebrating the decision the citizens of San Antonio made, in enacting the Pre-K 4 SA program, and in the recognition we are being given for it.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well, if the city doesn't...then who will? Poor people cannot afford good daycare with an education program. Poor people who are working and STILL cannot afford daycare.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 AM

The State is taking funding AWAY from education, while our city is trying to place an EMPHASIS on education. =good thing in my book.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM

62 posts, read 97,652 times
I am glad to see discussion on this, an issue that is entirely about SA.
Merovee, you and Buffy miss the point...nobody is saying Pre-K is not "good". What we are saying is it's not necessary nor do we want to pay for other people's children to attend.
Are we going to make the parents volunteer? Be drug tested? Be accountable to read to the kids? Be looking for a JOB all week while the kids are in daycare?
This will free up the weekday for parents who should probably not even BE parents to do whatever they wish. SA has a parenting problem...I would be all for fixing that, but I'm not sure how to break generational/cultural ways of thinking.
I'm just sick of being nickeled and dimed to "help" when I see so many unwilling to help themselves. My wife (and frankly, we could afford any preschool) taught my three kids all they needed to know for school and we raised three kids in the top 5% of their respective classes.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
I am glad to see discussion on this, an issue that is entirely about SA.
Merovee, you and Buffy miss the point...nobody is saying Pre-K is not "good". What we are saying is it's not necessary nor do we want to pay for other people's children to attend.
Are we going to make the parents volunteer? Be drug tested? Be accountable to read to the kids? Be looking for a JOB all week while the kids are in daycare?
This will free up the weekday for parents who should probably not even BE parents to do whatever they wish. SA has a parenting problem...I would be all for fixing that, but I'm not sure how to break generational/cultural ways of thinking.
I'm just sick of being nickeled and dimed to "help" when I see so many unwilling to help themselves. My wife (and frankly, we could afford any preschool) taught my three kids all they needed to know for school and we raised three kids in the top 5% of their respective classes.
You are jumbling so many points but the fact that you did not differentiate between pre-K that functions like babysitting or daycare and pre-K that is more academically inclined, such as the kind we voted for, will not allow us a starting point to begin discussing the merits of the program for which it is being recognized.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM

475 posts, read 971,891 times
I am not necessarily against government playing a role in Pre-K, but I am still trying to figure out how this particular program is really going to work for all of us.

I would rather have had a more fully flushed out plan with accurate numbers presented to the public before the sales tax vote.

I also tend to think that despite the appearance that this is an initiative for all city residents, it will end up being one more method of redistribution of monies from middle class and upper class citizens to others -- though I doubt a true analysis of this will ever take place.

On a related note, the following was interesting....

NEISD still seems dubious of Pre-K - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio