U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,325,983 times

Advertisements

[quote=TrapperL;27852636]
Quote:
Opponents of the initiative were cheered last fall when trustees for NEISD, the second-largest school district in the city, questioned the plan's logistics and expressed concern about how it would affect the district's own pre-K program and funding.

Apparently most of you are not familiar with the current Pre K that's being paid for already with State and Federal tax dollars. This is NOT a new program and the concept is that the Castros and his political bunch want control over the Pre K and the DOLLARS that it brings. Apparently they think the schools have no clue how to handle the kids but, of course, they do. It's yet another scheme to extract the tax dollars from tax payer morons too stupid to research what's going on.
Not all the schools in SA implement the State Pre-K program. I'm not exactly sure why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
I am glad to see discussion on this, an issue that is entirely about SA.
Merovee, you and Buffy miss the point...nobody is saying Pre-K is not "good". What we are saying is it's not necessary nor do we want to pay for other people's children to attend.
Are we going to make the parents volunteer? Be drug tested? Be accountable to read to the kids? Be looking for a JOB all week while the kids are in daycare?
This will free up the weekday for parents who should probably not even BE parents to do whatever they wish. SA has a parenting problem...I would be all for fixing that, but I'm not sure how to break generational/cultural ways of thinking.
It's not about the parents, it's about the kids. Of course there are deadbeat parents in this city. I teach many kids who look to me as a parent figure who values their education. School is the perfect place to end this cycle of "deadbeats".

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM

6,277 posts, read 9,045,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
It's not about the parents, it's about the kids. Of course there are deadbeat parents in this city. I teach many kids who look to me as a parent figure who values their education. School is the perfect place to end this cycle of "deadbeats".
Yep.

Then again, THEIR parents went to school, didn't they.........

Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM

62 posts, read 97,610 times
Buffy, it won't work... I have two grown children who are teachers. They voice their frustration to me all the time about how we have a parenting problem... and they are in Missouri and Iowa, where there is nowhere near the drop-out rate I see in SA. Still, they see the hard work they accomplish nine months of the year is gone by fall and they must start fresh.
What I see here is this teaching of having a huge family at a very young age, expecting the rest of us to pick up the slack "for the sake of the children". Tired of getting roped into that guilt trip.
Where is all money going to come from when others who see it as I do, get fed up, leave, and the tax base goes? Your wonderful mayor doesn't have a magic wand to wave and sprinkle money on the needy.
It starts with self-pride and projecting that expectation on to your children; requiring more of yourself and them. Not teaching them to game the system.
For the third time today I ask... what about the parents getting a free week? It's wrong IMO.

Last edited by Cramowheat; 01-20-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM

yes we have a parenting problem. What program do you recommend?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times
Quote:
You know why NEISD is not totally on board for the Pre-K program? Because my administration and front office people at my school are dreading all the extra work of implementing the program.
The district is concerned the program is going to cost them money, as in taking money from their existing Pre-K programs. As a taxpayer in NEISD, I wouldn't like that. If I were using the NEISD Pre-K programs or planning to do so in a couple of years, I really wouldn't like that.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM

and I reiterate this article:

To cut crime, raise education and income levels, and reduce addiction rates among the poor, no program offers more bang for the buck than preschool, as a new study published in Science demonstrates.

Read more: Study: The Benefits of Preschool Last 25 Years Later | TIME.com

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM

62 posts, read 97,610 times
Quote:
yes we have a parenting problem. What program do you recommend?

What about making the parents whose children use the school, required to volunteer their and take classes themselves? There has to be a way to bridge what the kids will get to life back home so it won't all be wasted. How about if their kids turn out to be future drop-outs, they have to pay back the city? Of course, they would probably say they have no money...I don't know...just throwing ideas out there.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM

500 posts, read 801,058 times
Cramowheat has valid concerns here.

I agree, the parenting issue must be linked for this program to have any measure of success. From the article: "The kids who attended preschool started at age 3-4. Their parents were actively involved in the program." Is there any demand made towards the prospective parents with this program?

I'm thinking that parental interest in their kids drove the success of this program in Chicago as much or more than the program itself. The study director admits as much himself in the following paragraphs, and that throwing money at the program doesn't guarantee effectiveness.

Bottom line to me is that this is a parenting issue, and without parental accountability, SA's taxpayers are left footing an extremely expensive babysitting bill.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,764,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Cramowheat has valid concerns here.

I agree, the parenting issue must be linked for this program to have any measure of success. From the article: "The kids who attended preschool started at age 3-4. Their parents were actively involved in the program." Is there any demand made towards the prospective parents with this program?

I'm thinking that parental interest in their kids drove the success of this program in Chicago as much or more than the program itself. The study director admits as much himself in the following paragraphs, and that throwing money at the program doesn't guarantee effectiveness.

Bottom line to me is that this is a parenting issue, and without parental accountability, SA's taxpayers are left footing an extremely expensive babysitting bill.
I also believe that, for participation, parental involvement be required. A parent teacher session does not suffice. Whether it is housekeeping after school or yard work on the week end , the parents should have some sweat equity in their child's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio