Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I tried to rep you!

You pretty much said exactly what I wanted to say!

I also live within San Antonio city limits and voted against it. If only we would make voters and semen take test before they are able to ruin this great county!
If your comment on voting and biological material is in support for political disenfranchisement and social eugenics then it puts your other comments in context but that is a truly disgusting viewpoint to air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sometimes I think Merovee is really Julian Castro.
Or my ex. Both are just as clueless and hard-headed.
I am all for education. Doesn't matter what age. One never stops learning in life, and one thing I have learned is....don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Your "proof" of this program was based in a different city....not here.
Pre-K education is already available here. Why don't people use it? Why don't the parents educate their pre-k age children at home? Is it so much to ask to put away the X-Box and get involved with your children's education, instead of relying on our"city leaders" to tax us even more in order to do it for you?
Like I said before, let's give it some time before we declare this program a success.
Let's see if this really is going to "help our community", or just prove to be a free daycare like a lot of people suggest.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
This program IS replicating what is already available through the school districts.

Look, I have ZERO problem with Pre-K itself. I'm a strong advocate and a believer.

BUT, to re-write Machiavelli, the ends do NOT always justify the means. No matter how well-intentioned this program is (although my gut tells me that the kids are not the priority here...), spending upwards of 20K per kid just doesn't make sense.

How about ensuring that ALL kids have access to Pre-K before establishing a program that will only serve a few? There will still be eligible kids that won't be served, plus many more deemed ineligible. In addition, those who DO get in will either go to a PreK, or a "Center for Excellence"...isn't this the same kind of unequal education that this entire program is supposed to eliminate?

I'm sorry, I just think that this was rushed through for the sake of a few people's agenda...

Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
I think one of the categories of students we may not think about is middle school. This is where problems start to occur and students are already thinking about dropping out of high school in 9th grade. Students do exceptionally well in elementary school but the one group where more emphasis should be placed is in middle school boys. Reach them before they hit their crisis and we won't lose them to the streets and all that comes along with it.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
This program IS replicating what is already available through the school districts.

Look, I have ZERO problem with Pre-K itself. I'm a strong advocate and a believer.

BUT, to re-write Machiavelli, the ends do NOT always justify the means. No matter how well-intentioned this program is (although my gut tells me that the kids are not the priority here...), spending upwards of 20K per kid just doesn't make sense.

How about ensuring that ALL kids have access to Pre-K before establishing a program that will only serve a few? There will still be eligible kids that won't be served, plus many more deemed ineligible. In addition, those who DO get in will either go to a PreK, or a "Center for Excellence"...isn't this the same kind of unequal education that this entire program is supposed to eliminate?

I'm sorry, I just think that this was rushed through for the sake of a few people's agenda...
Exact problem I have with it. A red flag went up when Castro pushed this thru so quickly and campaigned so hard for it. Just another self-serving scheme to get the Hispanic vote. Why else would the program be primarily for kids that are low income and/or don't speak English? I doubt a family making a decent wage and living in a nice house in this city are eligible for this program. Don't get me wrong...at least some kids will get something out of this, but touting it as a Pre-K education for any kid in this city is a bunch of horse poo. If ALL the taxpayers are paying for it, then why aren't ALL the taxpayers children eligible for it?? Anyone else having a Henry Cisneros flashback?

Last edited by txtea; 01-22-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
What WAS the purpose of the thread, then? So everyone could drool over something that they don't like, didn't vote for, and haven't seen any benefit from?
I think most of us already know the purpose of this thread. Some kids get off on throwing rocks at wasp nests.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The recognition has already been given by the Brookings Institution and the Rockefeller Foundation.

The purpose of this thread was not in soliciting your recognition.

Oh, but you specifically asked for it. So deal.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
OK....so no new Pre-K program. Let's keep our city lame, because everything we are doing is working. Twenty five percent of our city cannot read and half of our city lack the skills to graduate from HS. Our HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT RATE is WORSE THAN ANY OTHER MAJOR U.S. CITY.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
OK....so no new Pre-K program. Let's keep our city lame, because everything we are doing is working. Twenty five percent of our city cannot read and half of our city lack the skills to graduate from HS. Our HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT RATE is WORSE THAN ANY OTHER MAJOR U.S. CITY.
No it's not but that's not the point. If you work in education you should know adding another program without researching and addressing the root cause is not helpful. To add this program is way more expensive than district run pre-k.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post

Well why is that? Because we don't have a Pre-K daycare program? I didn't have one when I was a kid, yet I graduated High School.
Until we change this lazy, ghetto, don't give a damn culture that is growing all around us, the dropout rate, unemplyment rate and the abuse of our welfare system is going to continue to get worse.. We have more opportunities for education now than ever before, be it free or with some kind of government assistance. The resources are there for education already, it's the attitude that must be changed first. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio