U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,915,140 times
Reputation: 1788

Advertisements

Quote:
San Antonio's Pre-K 4 SA program is being recognized as one of 10 innovations around the country showing “the most promise for creating jobs, growing regional economies, and boosting global competitiveness in 2013,” according to a report released Friday by the Brookings Institution and the Rockefeller Foundation.

San Antonio nabbed the recognition for its efforts in increasing human capital, according to the second annual report, which seeks to highlight innovation that is “fiscally responsible.”
Pre-K 4 SA makes top 'innovations' list - San Antonio Express-News

My favorite part of the article is the surprise that it happened here in Texas!

Other towns were also recognized for their own unrelated initiatives: Portland, Chicago, Los Angeles and Youngstown, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 AM
 
62 posts, read 97,538 times
Reputation: 137
Innovative is a strong word when it hasn't even started. I was and am against this program. We already pay outrageous property taxes (much of which goes to schools) and to me it's just free babysitting that will free up the day for parents.
You shouldn't be bringing children into the world unless you can afford to take care of them; it's a burden on the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Boerne
216 posts, read 319,716 times
Reputation: 180
If you divide the amount of money by the number of students you could almost provide a private tutor for every child. Wasn't it in the movie "Soylent Green" where the state took over the raising of the children. I guess pretty soon they (the government) will be grabbing the babies right out of the womb so they can be properly raised according to the ideals and ideas of the higher powers. Cheez, am I getting paranoid or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,259 posts, read 1,762,068 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
If you divide the amount of money by the number of students you could almost provide a private tutor for every child. Wasn't it in the movie "Soylent Green" where the state took over the raising of the children. I guess pretty soon they (the government) will be grabbing the babies right out of the womb so they can be properly raised according to the ideals and ideas of the higher powers. Cheez, am I getting paranoid or what?
No, I think you are right on.

It may be my job to educate then , not to provide free child care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
381 posts, read 664,655 times
Reputation: 228
I did some research of pre k in general using reliable sources from my college databases and found out that most experts agree that the benefits from pre k are short lived for the kids. They said that benefits of pre k evaporate by the time the kids get to the third grade! I could go on and on about this, since I found out that this program is a big waste according to a few articles and journals that I read. It has been proven that even the states that offer universal pre k are at the very bottom of academics performance(another fact that I discovered in my research).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,915,140 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I did some research of pre k in general using reliable sources from my college databases and found out that most experts agree that the benefits from pre k are short lived for the kids. They said that benefits of pre k evaporate by the time the kids get to the third grade! I could go on and on about this, since I found out that this program is a big waste according to a few articles and journals that I read. It has been proven that even the states that offer universal pre k are at the very bottom of academics performance(another fact that I discovered in my research).
Doubt this is true or that you could source your claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
381 posts, read 664,655 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Doubt this is true or that you could source your claims.
Now why would I come here and lie about something like this? It's not a personal opinion, it's what I concluded with the research. Don't worry, it's just our hard earned money that's being wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 PM
 
5,631 posts, read 6,439,908 times
Reputation: 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
Innovative is a strong word when it hasn't even started. I was and am against this program. We already pay outrageous property taxes (much of which goes to schools) and to me it's just free babysitting that will free up the day for parents.
You shouldn't be bringing children into the world unless you can afford to take care of them; it's a burden on the rest of us.
It is basically free babysitting. Now parents are whining about the cost of getting their kids to the school to attend the program. I guess we should pay for that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,621 posts, read 13,018,903 times
Reputation: 10710
I don't know why you'd be surprised it happened in Texas. The democrats are grooming our mayor for a run at the head office. This is just another freeby that the working man is going to have to fund yet again. Any time you see Bill and Melinda Gates Fund tied to anything, read socialism into it and you have the truth. The Rockefeller and Gates bunch are in bed together. Yet more spending that has no purpose but yer gonna pay for it anyway. Kinda like the bridges we build that go no where with tax payer dollars....or mosques in Egypt we are remodeling at the cost of billions. Geez, even a drunken sailor knows when he's he's out of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM
 
Location: North Central S.A.
1,221 posts, read 2,324,131 times
Reputation: 956
Benefits of Pre-school:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...fits-the-brain

Most brain connections are made are made in these early years, why not try to take full advantage of these learning years?

Where are you getting your info?

"The biggest positive effects were seen in boys and in the children of the least educated parents. Reynolds says that because boys are generally less prepared to start school than girls are, the early intervention gives them a particular advantage. Likewise, children of less educated parents are more likely to benefit from the enriched cognitive environment of preschool." Time magazine

Read more: Study: The Benefits of Preschool Last 25 Years Later | TIME.com

Study: The Benefits of Preschool Last 25 Years Later | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top