U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,380,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Looks like the KSAT poll shows the majority of voters do not want Ms. Chan to step down. I agree!

Um, not anymore:
Do you agree with ex-Councilwoman Leticia Ozuna that Councilwoman Elisa Chan should resign from office?
Yes - 58% (657 votes)
No - 42% (484 votes)
Total Votes: 1,141 as of 8:05

These polls mean little.

i wouldn't be surprised if over the next 24 hours, it flipped 24 times.

Last edited by Chaka; 08-23-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Here's a thoughtful commentary, given the latest It's time for Chan to go | Concerned Citizens

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Fixed URL display

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,216,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Here's a thoughtful commentary, given the latest It’s time for Chan to go | Concerned Citizens
There's nothing "thoughtful" about suppressing free speech and religious freedom.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
There's nothing "thoughtful" about suppressing free speech and religious freedom.
No one is suppressing, as a private citizen she can say what she wants at home, among friends, a dinner party. But it's not free speech in this setting - a public official, while conducting official business, in public offices, with taxpayer funded staff. Closing the door doesn't make it private.

In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Garcetti v. Ceballos, 547 U.S. 410:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/05pdf/04-473.pdf

"Held: When public employees make statements pursuant to their official duties, they are not speaking as citizens for First Amendment purposes, and the Constitution does not insulate their communications from employer discipline. Pp. 514."

When working for the state of Texas or when I worked for COSA, such words would have been grounds for dismissal or at the very least a significant complaint against the manager.

As for religious freedom - we have something called separation of church and state. She can sit in her church and profess these things, she can't use her religion to justify discrimination (e.g banning adoptions) as a public official.

Another thoughtful essay:
Christians treat others as valued neighbors - San Antonio Express-News

(and perhaps "thoughtful" was the wrong term on concerninsa's essay. More that, it's well thought out and reasoned, not a knee jerk reaction to her initial comments)

Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,763,263 times
Am I the only one to wonder about the discussions behind closed doors of Pre-K SA and its agenda versus the hypocrisy of Chan's views being critiqued?

Is she the only person to ever want a solution matching her constituents' views to a dilemma being presented before a governing body?

Is this whole fiasco another solution looking for a problem?

I find San Antonio to be a very tolerant city to all. The irritation comes when some group want "Super Tolerance" and pokes a stick in the eyes of other groups.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,572,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
find San Antonio to be a very tolerant city to all. The irritation comes when some group want "Super Tolerance" and pokes a stick in the eyes of other groups.
You're talking about The Christian Right here, right? They are the ones always meddling in gay issues that have nothing to do with them, and pushing their beliefs on those who aren't interested, and don't care.

Then claiming to be "victims" when they don't get their way.

Left Behind - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/17/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 AM

161 posts, read 191,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Am I the only one to wonder about the discussions behind closed doors of Pre-K SA and its agenda versus the hypocrisy of Chan's views being critiqued?
I am curious about this, as well. Especially since the "village" is funding Pfree-K SA for the children. What kind of tolerance will be on the agenda there?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
I am curious about this, as well. Especially since the "village" is funding Pfree-K SA for the children. What kind of tolerance will be on the agenda there?

I was talking about two separate subjects in the same post.

Post 1. Back door deals and discussions to push the Pre-K deal. Yes the village is funding it, but only certain portions qualify for inclusion.

Post 2. Tolerance- I think San Antonio is a very tolerant and accepting city.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
You're talking about The Christian Right here, right? They are the ones always meddling in gay issues that have nothing to do with them, and pushing their beliefs on those who aren't interested, and don't care.

Left Behind - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 06/17/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Not being a member of the Christian Right, I do not know. I subscribe to "Live and Let Live". I do not subscribe to another group that can claim victimhood.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:33 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,216,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

I'm sorry, you must have Christians confused with gay people. Meddling and pushing beliefs and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio