U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
On an unrelated note, is San Antonio EVER going to redistrict?

I mean since the population is booming toward the north and now far west, shouldnt there be a more equitable division of city 'leadership'?

When was the districts last redistricted? I cant recall when.

And after doing my own research it seems as though it is happening, though the maps on the city's website are not surprisingly not working.
Redistricting just happened. Districts 8, 9 and 10 got more compact to the north.

See this earlier thread: City Council to vote on new district map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
Chan is being challenged by a former employee she fired. A drama-filled article from last month also details the journalist's own back-and-forth with another of Chan's former employee.

Quote:
Salinas also worked in planning and development for the city of Houston and as a transportation planner for the Houston-Galveston Area Council. He joined Chan's office after she won and stayed there for nearly three years; so he must've been doing something right.
Chan draws challenge from employee she fired - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM

3,741 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Default Councilwomen Chan Really Stepped Into it

I want to start by saying that she was one of my favorite people on the city council. It also goes to show you how easy you can be knocked of you high horse because I can't see her recovering from such moronic comments even if she believes what she said...

Chan reveals homophobic views in secret recording - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
“So disgusting!”
That exclamation escaped the lips of District 9 Councilwoman Elisa Chan on May 21 in her City Hall office, where she was meeting with members of her staff to discuss the city's proposal to update its nondiscrimination ordinance, adding protections for sexual orientation and gender identity.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,405,999 times
After reading that article, I am not sure what to say. Any respect I had for her is all gone now.

She has a right to her opinion and she thought she was speaking her opinions in a closed, non-public setting which we all do but they got leaked out unfortunately for her.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM

342 posts, read 328,853 times
My respect for her eroded greatly after that shady library deal.

This just finishes it off.

But its the one thing this council/mayor can agree upon. Ethics do not matter.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
I'll bet the well-funded opponent who runs against her (or instead of her) next year got an encouraging phone call today.

I've said here for years that she would eventually run for mayor. It is probably why, as this column points out, she was so very reluctant to let her real views be publicly known on controversial subjects. I don't see a run for mayor in her future now.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM

243 posts, read 282,629 times
Her comments don't bother me nearly as much as the fact that no one can trust anyone anymore. The world full of sneaks and spies. The person who recorded her should have challenged her on the subject face to face instead of being a sneak. I have less respect for him than I do her.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,732,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Her comments don't bother me nearly as much as the fact that no one can trust anyone anymore. The world full of sneaks and spies. The person who recorded her should have challenged her on the subject face to face instead of being a sneak. I have less respect for him than I do her.
City Staff don't belong to Ms. Chan. They are City employees. Not Spies-Not Sneaks. The only thing Ms. Chan owns is her words.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM

243 posts, read 282,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
City Staff don't belong to Ms. Chan. They are City employees. Not Spies-Not Sneaks. The only thing Ms. Chan owns is her words.
I don't believe I said anything about anybody belonging to anyone. My point was you have a problem with what somebody says then won't confront them face to face. Otherwise your just a little sneaky coward.

Last edited by geargrinder70; 08-16-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,732,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
I don't believe I said anything about anybody belonging to anyone. My point was you have a problem with what somebody says then confront them face to face. Otherwise your just a little sneaky coward.
The only sneaky coward is those that speak words outloud to others and will not and not own them when called out.

If Ms. Chan has a problem with Homosexuals...or anyone else, that is her business. Well, her's and her district's constituents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio