Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 AM

12 posts, read 84,273 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,

I am planing to move to San Antonio, still, I have many things to consider before I make a final decision.
My wife will be attending UTSA while I should attend the graduate school at Texas State University, San Marcos.
Some people told me that the traffic horrible in San Antonio and it would take more than one hour just to get out of San Antonio, others had told me that it won't take more than 40 to get to San Marcos.
From the route showing in the following link:
Texas State University-San Marcos, 601 University Dr, San Marcos, TX 78666-4684 to 528 Southtrail Dr, San Antonio, TX 78216 - Google Maps

How long do you think it takes to get to San Marcos? and would the traffic be an issue? since the speed limit in TX high way 80 as I heard.
Do you think the traffic on TX-1604 LOOP is normal, if I plane to drive from UTSA to San Marcos?

Please help me to have a clear idea about the situation there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM

890 posts, read 1,844,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Damn_ View Post
Hello guys,

I am planing to move to San Antonio, still, I have many things to consider before I make a final decision.
My wife will be attending UTSA while I should attend the graduate school at Texas State University, San Marcos.
Some people told me that the traffic horrible in San Antonio and it would take more than one hour just to get out of San Antonio, others had told me that it won't take more than 40 to get to San Marcos.
Texas State University-San Marcos, 601 University Dr, San Marcos, TX 78666-4684 to 528 Southtrail Dr, San Antonio, TX 78216 - Google Maps

How long do you think it takes to get to San Marcos? and would the traffic be an issue? since the speed limit in TX high way 80 as I heard.
Do you think the traffic on TX-1604 LOOP is normal, if I plane to drive from UTSA to San Marcos?

So much is dependent on time of day. Traffic on that stretch can be bad. I can tell you the speed limit on that stretch is not 80 though. It's 60-70 tops.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM

993 posts, read 2,482,998 times
I second what dbbd has said. If you are going to be taking that route during normal commuting times, 8am-9am and 5-6pm, it will be hell. Why can't you and your wife go to the same school? It will make things a hell of a lot easier for you all and save you money in the long run. Your vehicles will rack up some serious mileage. My commute is only 25 miles round trip and I still have to fill up twice a month.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM

487 posts, read 988,862 times
Quote:
Hello guys,

You may have a few options here:
1) Find a place in the north east side of town (e.g. Cibolo, Universal City, Selma) so both have about the same commute to your schools (she on 1604 west and you on 35 north) you'll be going against the flow, she'll find more traffic)
2) Get a place closer to UTSA. She'll be very happy (and therefore you'll be happy) and you commute all the way. You'll be driving against the worse flow, so it shouldn't be too bad. 40 mins sounds optimistically realistic.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,763,888 times
Google maps shows traffic too...try checking it during the times of day when you'd be making the trip and you'll have some idea what you're looking at.

You were asking about the traffic on 1604...going from UTSA to San Marcus, you'd probably take I-10 to 410 to 35N, so 1604 wouldn't affect you much, except maybe a mile or two.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM

905 posts, read 1,623,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
1) Find a place in the north east side of town (e.g. Cibolo, Universal City, Selma) so both have about the same commute to your schools (she on 1604 west and you on 35 north) you'll be going against the flow, she'll find more traffic)
2) Get a place closer to UTSA. She'll be very happy (and therefore you'll be happy) and you commute all the way. You'll be driving against the worse flow, so it shouldn't be too bad. 40 mins sounds optimistically realistic.
It'd be easier for both of you guys not to live closse to UTSA.
Amexicano is right; live somewhere mid way to UTSA and less of a drive for you on 1604. Perhaps somewhere around 281, Bitters or closer in. Driving from UTSA on 1604 East to IH35 is a long stretch due to traffic. I live off Broadway inside loop 410 and going to San Marcos from there only is about a 40 minute drive, which I do at least 3 times a month. From where I'm at, driving to UTSA is about a 25 minute drive.
If you decide to live out by UTSA, expect at the minimum a one hour drive one way to San Marcos.
BTW.. I do know of 3 people who do commute to grad school to Tx. State, which by the way, has a wonderful International business grad program.

Best of luck to both of yall...

Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 84,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
So much is dependent on time of day. Traffic on that stretch can be bad. I can tell you the speed limit on that stretch is not 80 though. It's 60-70 tops.
Thank you for the information. What about the speed limit on the Hwy between San Antonio and Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I second what dbbd has said. If you are going to be taking that route during normal commuting times, 8am-9am and 5-6pm, it will be hell. Why can't you and your wife go to the same school? It will make things a hell of a lot easier for you all and save you money in the long run. Your vehicles will rack up some serious mileage. My commute is only 25 miles round trip and I still have to fill up twice a month.
I understand that, but this is the best choice we had here in SA. We had better options but in different place.
Are you kidding me? fill up twice a month? are you riding a horse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Thank you for the helpful reply. I am sure that would be the only choice I have. It wont be that bad since she need to go to UTSA three time a week from 5.30-8.30 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Google maps shows traffic too...try checking it during the times of day when you'd be making the trip and you'll have some idea what you're looking at.

You were asking about the traffic on 1604...going from UTSA to San Marcus, you'd probably take I-10 to 410 to 35N, so 1604 wouldn't affect you much, except maybe a mile or two.
Thank you man. I learn from your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
It'd be easier for both of you guys not to live closse to UTSA.
Amexicano is right; live somewhere mid way to UTSA and less of a drive for you on 1604. Perhaps somewhere around 281, Bitters or closer in. Driving from UTSA on 1604 East to IH35 is a long stretch due to traffic. I live off Broadway inside loop 410 and going to San Marcos from there only is about a 40 minute drive, which I do at least 3 times a month. From where I'm at, driving to UTSA is about a 25 minute drive.
If you decide to live out by UTSA, expect at the minimum a one hour drive one way to San Marcos.
BTW.. I do know of 3 people who do commute to grad school to Tx. State, which by the way, has a wonderful International business grad program.

Best of luck to both of yall...
Thanks dude, you gave me many important details

Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 AM

890 posts, read 1,844,190 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. What about the speed limit on the Hwy between San Antonio and Austin?

:
It's been awhile since I've had to go up that way and Texas did just realign some speed limits, and I've noticed some higher speed limits on 410 recently. The highway from SA to Austin MIGHT hit 75...absolute tops, but probably mostly 65-70.

I'm sure someone can confirm it.

Truthfully, during busy parts of the day you'd be lucky to be traveling half that speed in spots. I've experienced that personally.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM
JNA

243 posts, read 733,326 times
Speed limit on I-35 outside loop 1604 is 70 most of the way. Speed limit on 1604 from I-35 to UTSA varies between 65 to 70. I head up to Austin from Stone Oak several times a month leaving SA around 8. Traffic heading out is pretty good, better than traffic coming in on I-35. Because of that, I think an area slightly closer to UTSA than San Marcos might be best to equalize the commute times, maybe somewhere near the Forum on 35/1604.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 AM

993 posts, read 2,482,998 times
Quote:
I understand that, but this is the best choice we had here in SA. We had better options but in different place.
Are you kidding me? fill up twice a month? are you riding a horse?
Nah son, 2002 Focus SVT. Get about 28 mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio