U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,414,002 times

Advertisements

That is the largest culture void in theis city. It would take millions and millions to erect and supply a museum
with some exhibits that would be on par with others in large metropolitan areas. Chicago has some
very best museums in the country, they are amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Back on topic, I'd love to see more world-class museums open in the city. It's nice seeing a future commitment to the arts with the coming Tobin Center, but our art, natural history and science offerings are dismal at best.

Yes, it's always a funding issue- I totally get that. Just a little wishful thinking, as passing by the Witte everyday makes me yearn for (much) more. And perhaps it wouldn't kill the SAMA or McNay to actually attempt to attract some national touring shows for once? I mean, the McNay did spend a small fortune in completing the new wing... A shame it's not being used for better things.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM

545 posts, read 907,913 times
Chicago is much larger than San Antonio and surrounded by a whole lot of nothing, that's a pretty thin comparison.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,753 times
I would adore a world-class museum but realize they are usually supported through corporate and old money sponsorship which we have in limited supply in San Antonio.

Instead we should bolster what we do have. Think of it like an MMORPG where you have to grind to get your basic gear updated before you are even ready to go for rare equipment.

We also need the accompanying culture that would appreciate such fare. Many of our citizens prefer the Spurs.

The solution as already stated is make the best use of the space we do have and bring world-class exhibits.

Personally while not being that type of exhibit I would like to see this visit San Antonio.

Diana a Celebration | Princess Diana Exhibit | Princess Diana Tour

Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Chicago is much larger than San Antonio and surrounded by a whole lot of nothing, that's a pretty thin comparison.
Nothing? Have you BEEN to Chicago or surrounding areas?

Naperville, Oak Park (one of the wealthiest suburbs in the USA), Brookfield, Olympia Fields... Not to mention the culturally well-supported cities of Indianapolis, Milwaukee and Detroit.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a 'whole lot of nothing' to me as well.

Please don't get into a debate with a native Chicagoan about his surrounding geography

BN

Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM

604 posts, read 1,668,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Who drinks S.A. tap water? Most adults don't; children surely don't.
i do

Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Nothing? Have you BEEN to Chicago or surrounding areas?

Naperville, Oak Park (one of the wealthiest suburbs in the USA), Brookfield, Olympia Fields... Not to mention the culturally well-supported cities of Indianapolis, Milwaukee and Detroit.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a 'whole lot of nothing' to me as well.

Please don't get into a debate with a native Chicagoan about his surrounding geography

BN
He's saying SA is surrounded by nothing. Not Chicago. Re-read it

Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
He's saying SA is surrounded by nothing. Not Chicago. Re-read it
I did re-read it and if he is referencing SA, it was poorly worded. His fault. Not mine.

BN

Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,869,037 times
NY style - deli - mentioned before. That's our greatest restaurant need!!!

Not a thing but could road work not take years to complete?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,849,879 times
Quote:
I did re-read it and if he is referencing SA, it was poorly worded. His fault. Not mine.

BN
I think he meant the Chicago Metro is surrounded by a whole lot of nothing.

Here in Texas we have to compete with a the State Capitol, (that is almost the same size) Dallas, and Houston.

We are small beans and doing pretty well considering.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
NY style - deli - mentioned before. That's our greatest restaurant need!!!

Not a thing but could road work not take years to complete?
Actually, this has gotten significantly better. I remember reading in the news when they finished the 281/410 interchange that they had completed the project years ahead of time due to working around the clock and other technological stuff I don't remember. (I know that's vague, maybe try looking up the actual article if you can still find it)

I remember in the 2000's (actually I think it started in the 90's) the I-10 upgrade/expansion took a whole decade to complete, however most projects undergone in the past 8 years or so have been completed significantly faster than that. Granted, most have not been as large a scale as the I-10 project, except for maybe the 410 project which also took 10 years- but the 410 project was actually BIGGER.

Anyway we'll already be driving on a new piece (God willing, piecES) of Wurzbach Pkwy this year. so yeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or