Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM

61,028 posts, read 85,838,736 times

Advertisements

Are we still discussing what city of San Antonio is missing, or are we now discussing immigrants performance?

Please go back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM

826 posts, read 1,029,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What the city still lacks?

A smaller version of the Feast of San Gennaro

Some Nathans Hot Dog stores

Carvel Ice Cream stores

A place that makes great pastrami sandwiches

And please ya'll, stop the p*ssing contest over fluoridated water........
Carvel! Great call. I loved that place.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,255,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Carvel! Great call. I loved that place.
Caravel in Schlotzskys at 281/Evans. It says just cups and cones though-no cakes. Looks like they are expanding like crazy per FB.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 6,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that everyone in a 200 mile radius of Chicago is driving to Chicago for that kind of thing. (Even the people in St. Louis when they aren't trying to convince themselves they aren't in an also-ran city) We don't have that kind of draw here but that doesn't mean what we have isn't nice. Quite the contrary, IMO.

Though I poke fun at St. Louis it did have a museum culture we don't share here. They also have city, county, and state income tax to subsidize it. I'll pass.

To expand on this and I have not got to SA yet, I thnk you guys have much to be proud of. A historical city with a small town attitude and feel. It is spread out and that gives the small town feel. A lack of sky scrapers is a good thing IMHO. It is why I feel so good about my decision to visit and hopefully move there.

I prefer the lack of the big city problems. No disrespect to the Chicagoan or anyone else fromt their big cities, there is a underlying feeling of being opressed when surrounded by the tall buildings. I know that is how I feel. I know that I will not get away from all the craziness but I don't want to move to a large city with no heart.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblefingers O'Mel View Post
Hi King,
I don't think San Antonio is missing "plenty", but there are some things San Antonio could use. For one thing, we have such a beautiful city, and a generally wonderful climate. But San Antonio is not a bicycle friendly city. Yes, we have a bicycle friendly downtown, and plenty of hiking and biking trails in our numerous wilderness parks. But in general, the rest of our streets are an accident waiting to happen. Personally, I'm not a bicyclist; but bicycling is a very popular recreational activity to many people today. They should have a safe option of riding in their own neighborhoods, whether for recreation or for short distance errands. Otherwise, they are practically forced to go to a wilderness park or downtown to safely ride their bikes.
Two other things San Antonio really should have, and both concern our beautiful Riverwalk. First, why can't we have some kind of public restrooms along the Riverwalk. Tourists as well as native San Antonians should be able to use a public restroom, without being "forced" to go to a private establishment's restroom. In many cases these restrooms are labelled "for customer use only." Even if they are not labelled as such, most people who stop to use the restroom feel compelled to spend money they otherwise would not spend there. I realize the merchants and businesses along the Riverwalk are there to make a living. I'm not criticizing them. I just feel a public restroom every quarter-mile or so would be a great asset to all involved. If not an actual building, at least some porta-potties. Second, and this may not sound politically correct, many people smoke along the Riverwalk. Why are there not butt receptacles available for those smokers? Butt receptacles are relatively inexpensive. People are left to drop their butts on the Riverwalk, or worse to throw their butts into our beautiful river. If not disposing of their butts in either of these two manners, they might throw them into the trash receptacles along the Riverwalk and start a fire. I, being a smoker, find it abhorrent to dispose of my butts in any of those manners. So, I step on my butts, and after being sure they are out, then I dispose of them in the trash.
Overall, San Antonio is a wonderful city to live in, and a wonderful, unforgettable city to visit. These few things I have mentioned here will surely enhance the San Antonio experience. Thanks.

excellent post here. I especially think the idea of the public restrooms on the river walk something SA should seriously consider. I hope that they do have that in mind. It doesnt need to be every 20 feet but two or three on each side would be good.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
SA has 2.3 million people, Millwaukee 1.5 million and Indy 1.78 million, they are not on the same level.

SA has 1.3 million.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,709,488 times
Ok, so I will never get my dream of a giant AC bubble here. How about improved, semi-efficient public transportation? That's lacking.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 AM

2,739 posts, read 6,078,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
SA has 1.3 million.

The Metro is nearly 2.3 million. The city proper is 1.37 million.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM

108 posts, read 240,421 times
This city lacks development around the AT&T Center as promised (a lot of promises) No one knows who to blame either(The Mayor)(The County Judge)(The Spurs). It became a ridiculous game of wording. The City has a 2020 development/improvement plan but at this rate nothing will happen until someone in the city steps up and makes monumental changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio