Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times

Advertisements

Garner is really a severe situation, I am not going to tell how I got to know Garner really well, but my experience in the last five years has been extremely negative in regard to Garner. Do whatever you can not to be at Garner, just hurry and fill out the STEM application and see if he can get in. With a 4.0 GPA now he should be fine at STEM Nimitz. If you find something else in the meantime you can always decline the invite if you get the invite. Yes I have someone here who finished the STEM Nimitz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 AM

41 posts, read 70,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Garner is really a severe situation, I am not going to tell how I got to know Garner really well, but my experience in the last five years has been extremely negative in regard to Garner. Do whatever you can not to be at Garner, just hurry and fill out the STEM application and see if he can get in. With a 4.0 GPA now he should be fine at STEM Nimitz. If you find something else in the meantime you can always decline the invite if you get the invite. Yes I have someone here who finished the STEM Nimitz.
Thank you so much for this information Zhugeliang. Very much appreciated. I know I will never find the "perfect situation" but am looking at all possibilities and trying to gather as much information as possible. I really appreciate all the input.

Sherry

Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,243 times
Did you ever get more info or make a decision about STEM? We are considering STEM as well. Our situation is different because our son already goes to an excellent middle school but we like the idea of a more STEM oriented curriculum and (hopefully) smaller classes.

Have u ever considered the School of Science and Technology (SST) on 410 near Broadway? Heard both good and bad about it.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupe357 View Post
Did you ever get more info or make a decision about STEM? We are considering STEM as well. Our situation is different because our son already goes to an excellent middle school but we like the idea of a more STEM oriented curriculum and (hopefully) smaller classes.

Have u ever considered the School of Science and Technology (SST) on 410 near Broadway? Heard both good and bad about it.
Yes, we made a decision and my son will be starting 7th grade at the STEM Academy in the fall. We visited the school and had the opportunity to observe classes and talk to the teachers. We both really liked it. I know it won't be perfect - no school is - but we liked what we saw. They are increasing their enrollment so I think the classes will be a little larger but still limited to 20 students.

We also visited SST and prior to visiting STEM Academy that was our first choice. My son is currently at Harmony, a charter school which is a "sister" school to SST. So, it's basically the same type of program (even the same uniforms, same policies, etc.) I think SST has a good program. However, I am disappointed with Harmony which is why I'm switching him to another school. I think Harmony is working through some kinks right now and will be a better school but for now, it was not meeting my expectations. I think SST has been around for a longer period of time and probably has it together a little more. With Harmony, I feel like there was too many empty promises. And had a remnant of that concern with SST. Although, honestly, I would have sent him to SST before sending him to Garner. I like the smaller atmosphere of SST and that the teachers are more engaged with the students.

They were having a series of open houses at SST - might be worth your time to go and check it out.

Good luck.

Sherry

Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times
Hello we are moving to San Antonio this fall. We're considering STEM academy. But, I'm hearing really awful things about Nimitz middle school. So, I'm confused. Are the students separated for STEM? Please explain. Thank you!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:14 PM

Hi MMathew! My son is still in the STEM program and is now a freshman at Lee High School. I cannot stress how great this program has been for him. The teachers are the "cream of the crop" in my opinion. STEM Academy is a school within a school. I like that it's a closeknit group of students and teachers who truly work together. He doesn't feel lost in the system. All the teachers know and are involved with the students. To me, they truly go the extra mile.

As far as your concerns about Nimitz I will say this - Nimitz is a bit "rough." I was very concerned about sending my son there but he had NO issues. All of his classes except P.E. were with other STEM students. He had lunch with the "general" population but the STEM kids all seem to sit together to eat. My son did comment about seeing kids outside of school smoking, seeing fights, etc. But, honestly, this can happen at any school. And he's going to be exposed to these things at one point or another. But, you as a parent have to feel comfortable. Have you had a chance to visit the school and talk to the STEM director/teachers? That may help in your decision making.

I will say that your child needs to be committed to the program. It is rigorous. Not crazy, over-the-top but more than your regular school/classes. In middle school, the students have "double blocks" of math so that's like 2 class periods of just math. Classes are advanced and there is quite a bit of homework, including large projects. Again, it's not overwhelming but your child needs to be the type of student who is willing to work. STEM teachers really work hard to keep the students engaged and keep their grades up. They have regular tutoring hours before and after school to help the students if they need it. If the student is not maintaining a certain grade (I think it may be a 70...?) they will be asked to leave the program. However, they work hard so this doesn't happen but if the child is not willing to work, then they will be dropped.

Good luck in your move to San Antonio and finding a school!

sherry

Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 821 times
I am a student in STEM and I like it. It gives you advanced course and is really cool. Just stay away from the Nimitz kids they can be mean.
Here is a link to a website I am working on about STEM
file:///H:/Coding/codes.html
copy and paste in search bar.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 582 times
Did you end up sending your child there? I'm considering it also, but I can't find any good info online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio