Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times

Advertisements

Returned back to SAT last night. We sometimes leave the company plane and return home commercially, especially if the aircraft remains at the destination for a long period.

The ride from the airport to the hangar is not very far, thus not a large fare. I normally give the driver $30 to compensate him for the short trip.

I routinely find some of the best people San Antonio has to offer on these trips. Such phrases as "Short rides sometimes, longer others" said jokingly, or speeches on how great it is to be free in America and not in Tunisia or from wherever are the rule.

Until last night. I gave the assigned driver the address I was going. Suddenly he became stupid and could not speak enough English to accommodate me. He could, however, walk past me and, conversing in spanish, take another's bag and depart, a total violation of taxi policy.

I was too stunned to complain or get his cab number. The gentleman who did get my fare was appreciative and congenial. He also got paid $30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Returned back to SAT last night. We sometimes leave the company plane and return home commercially, especially if the aircraft remains at the destination for a long period.

The ride from the airport to the hangar is not very far, thus not a large fare. I normally give the driver $30 to compensate him for the short trip.

I routinely find some of the best people San Antonio has to offer on these trips. Such phrases as "Short rides sometimes, longer others" said jokingly, or speeches on how great it is to be free in America and not in Tunisia or from wherever are the rule.

Until last night. I gave the assigned driver the address I was going. Suddenly he became stupid and could not speak enough English to accommodate me. He could, however, walk past me and, conversing in spanish, take another's bag and depart, a total violation of taxi policy.

I was too stunned to complain or get his cab number. The gentleman who did get my fare was appreciative and congenial. He also got paid $30.

How totally rude and unprofessional. His loss!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Well don't you know you are supposed to speak their language to conduct business?? What's wrong with you? I've had similar occurances myself, and you are right, Mom....it is rude and uncalled for. That's a quick 30 bucks the dumba** could have made.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
How totally rude and unprofessional. His loss!
Happens all the time downtown. Its too bad you didnt get his taxi number, you could call the commission, and could possible get hes medallion pulled.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Rude AND a jerk!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Snubbed,

Snubbed by a cab driver? How much more demeaning can a social encounter become?
Perhaps as was suggested lastly, sometimes it is us, unintentionally, these folks can feel snubbed too.
I too have recieved the same from store clerks and the like. Look right through you or past you.
I always take the limo home, for a few bucks more you can be certain of treatment and the reputation
of the company and whom they hire as drivers. Far more certain of an outcome that way.

Last edited by huckster; 01-23-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow. Really? I'm so shocked you've come to stir the pot.
I was to the opinion that someone complaining and including ethnic descriptors based on language was already stirring it?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Snubbed by a cab driver? How much more demeaning can a social encounter become?
Perhaps as was suggested lastly, sometimes it is us, unintentionally, these folks can feel snubbed too.
I too have recieved the same from store clerks and the like. Look right through you or past you.
I always take the limo home, for a few bucks more you can be certain of treatment and the reputation
of the company and whom they hire as drivers. Far more certain of an outcome that way.

No, it has nothing to due with that. He passed on the fare because it was a small "$5" mini. It happens all the time downtown. Taxi drivers are NOT ALLOWED to not take a fare. If he is next in line, he is next in line and has to take that fare

Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Call the police and write your congressman ASAP

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Who in hell are you? Do you know me? Do you have any idea of my demeamor or my background?

Refuse me or any patron taxi service? Really.

I suuggest you have no idea who you are criticizing.

My account was as objective as I could make it. I waited until the next day to post so that my ire was removed.

Cabbies do in-fact have the right to refuse service in the state of Texas, but that's likely not the issue here. I'm sorry it happened, but am glad you found other means of transport. For a city like San Antonio to be making its mint off of tourism, I find it sad that one of the first things someone might encounter is a bastard cab driver.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio