U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM

45 posts, read 100,316 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from Florida where we have comcast. Checked the prices of time warner and theyre outrageous. $45 for 13mbps internet? Thats way too much. Are there any other companies that provide internet service for the NE san antonio/Kirby area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM

11,141 posts, read 20,325,757 times
You can check and see if Grande is available in your area. I had Grande when I lived in the north central area. They're lower than TWC but they make errors on the bill pretty often, at least they did for me. I also always had problems with the service being down at night.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,506,798 times
AT&T might be a choice too

Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
You'll be looking at a 3-4 week wait to get anything installed by AT&T. It's just how they operate. OTOH, Time-Warner will have you hooked up within a day.

I had AT&T DSL for a couple of years. It was OK. You won't be able to get anything faster than 6 Mbps with DSL. UVerse is their next step up. I doubt you can get it for less than $45/month.

Almost certain that Grande won't be an option for you that far outside of 410.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,935,102 times
I have Uverse with AT&T. I had their DSL commercial grade and it wasn't all that good. Fast speeds were 2G and that was spotty at best. They went all Uverse in my neighborhood and it was either find another provider or upgrade to Uverse. They sent me a modem for free that I installed, complete with battery backup. I had to wait for them to make the change downtown for about 4 hours and now I'm running at 11G download on the phone line. From agreeing to make the change to up and running was about 4 days. So far, I'm happy. I also have free long distance any where in the states with my "land" line and my bill is just over 60 bucks. Considering what I was paying for phone service and internet, this is a lot cheaper- by 20 bucks a month anyway. You also get free internet TV and free 1st run movies thru the Uverse website. I think it's a hellva deal. But Uverse may not be available in the OPs area but you can check online to find out. I do not have Uverse TV or a DVR, just internet and phone.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM

229 posts, read 587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersrool View Post
Just moved here from Florida where we have comcast. Checked the prices of time warner and theyre outrageous. $45 for 13mbps internet? Thats way too much. Are there any other companies that provide internet service for the NE san antonio/Kirby area?
Hmmm, I pay ~$50 for TWs 20 Mbps service. How much were you paying in FL? They have lower tiers of service. For example: 3 Mbps for $30, though I'm sure you could get it cheaper if you call them. I hear ATTs internet service isn't as good, but that's just anecdotal. Do you need the high speeds. We get all our TV entertainment through online services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) so I don't mind paying a little more for the extra speed I'm supposedly getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or