U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,984 times

Advertisements

Hey San Anto, do anyone of you know a reputable credit repair agency that actually fix your credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,876,238 times
Have a friend that went to get his mortgage brokers license only to find out he had some credit issues. He couldn't get the license until he was clean. You can do this yourself. Read the link about a few steps you can take yourself with the credit reporting agencies. You know who you are delinquent with so write them as to what they will take in order to wipe the slate clean. If it's been a charge off, the amount is most often negotiable, real negotiable so don't be afraid to haggle a little. But most importantly, get everything IN WRITING before sending any money. Verbal agreements mean nothing and some of the collectors will use this to milk you out of more money. Get it IN WRITING what they will settle for. Obviously, DO NOT send cash but certified funds in a certified letter and make sure to keep track of the receipts/correspondence. Should the creditor renege on his word, you can send copies to the credit reporting agencies who will take care it for you. This isn't rocket science and all a credit repair agency can do is the same thing only it'll cost you more money.
Credit Repair: How to Help Yourself | Consumer Information

Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,297,588 times
What Trapper said.
Been there, done that. Do it yourself .....it's not that difficult.
Been many years ago, but I paid some "credit repair" place around 600 bucks to do what needed to be done.
They promised the moon but didn't do much of anything. Did a little research later and got it all straightened out.
Then I got married.....and divorced. Here we go again........

Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,170,625 times
Do it yourself, most if not all of those companies are scams.

Check your credit report at annualcreditreport.com and figure out who says you owe them money.

Write each company a letter asking them for proof of debt.

The only way to fix your credit is to pay your outstanding debts.

Keep your credit card balances low compared to the credit limit. If you can't pay cash for it, don't buy it until you can.

Start with your smallest debt, pay it off first. Then apply the monthly amount of that debt to your next smallest until you pay it off and so on.

Eventually you'll get out of that hole.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,697,980 times
Way back when I was a kid our of college and needed a car I applied for a loan and was denied! Outraged I was. So I looked into it, found out about the reporting agencies, requested reports and started addressing each issue one by one. Some of it was legit, and I was able to quickly get those issues resolved, but a surprising amount was fictional. Those took some more doing, but it was a valuable exercise.

Long story short, cleaned up my record in a short time, and have maintained stellar credit ever since at over 800. I may be denied a loan at some point in the future, but I'll be damned if it's for something as easily in my control as my credit score.

Don't pay someone else to do it, it's a good thing to tackle on your own.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM

6,253 posts, read 8,967,130 times
There's a website called creditkarma.com that I HIGHLY recommend. There, you can monitor your results as you work to improve your credit.... Lots of "special offers" there - I ignore all of 'em - but the general information provided (while pretty basic) CAN be a help to someone in deep financial doo-doo - because you get to a point that you are being SO intimidated by EVERYONE, that you simply lose focus. BTDT...it ain't fun! Friends can be a HUGE help - Trapper was actually one of the folks that trusted my WORD to extend me credit during one of my nastier break-ups so that I could build a storage room to store stuff in.
Main thing is....from THIS day forward - do NOT promise what you can't deliver. Lots of collectors will call and demand this and that. Keep your cool, tell them what you CAN and WILL do - then DO it. That means AFTER food, utilities, rent and transportation are taken care of. If you've got a few bucks ahead, bank it back for a month just in case, then use that excess to hit your LOWEST bill balance. If they're all in default, then just hunker down and as you get extra money, offer them that to settle your account IN FULL and IN WRITING (as noted above). NEVER pay electronically w/access to your bank account - THEY WILL CLEAN YOU OUT. EVER. Tell 'em that your "financial adviser" told you that you had to pay w/certified check or US Postal Money order ONLY.
Take your time, take a deep breath - and relax a bit. It seems like everyone's after you, but that's only if you ALLOW them to!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio