U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,307 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've read some of the other threads about moving to San Antonio but the problem is-I don't know anything about the city! I've never visited either. My family of 6 more than likely will be relocating there within 6 months. I have school aged children & really young ones & want to live in a safer neighborhood geared more towards younger families. Also want to live in great school districts. Driving & traffic are not issues to us-we live in Dallas now & are used to it. Also looking for info on places to avoid. Anything else that anyone thinks I ought to know-helpful info, feel free to throw in too. Just want all the information I can get.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 AM

3,823 posts, read 13,367,621 times
Default San Antonio CD Archives

Welcome to San Antonio!
Your questions about San Antonio are common here on this forum. Here is a link to the San Antonio archives where you can find a wealth of information/opinions. After searching through the archive (you can also use the search function on the menu bar above), I would suggest that your family take some time to come and visit as you're only 5 hours away.
Good Luck!

San Antonio [Archive]

Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 AM

592 posts, read 1,833,867 times
if traffic is not an issue. then stone oak area or la cantera area are really nice and they have good schools. and those area have young families. and have home big enough

Old 10-21-2007, 09:13 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,624,974 times
Try Leon Springs area on the NW side its in Northside ISD. Very nice area lots of families. FairOaks Ranch is also nice or for a town outside of SA try Boerne,not outside by much..sort of like Rockwall..just over the county line type of place.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 50,533 times
Welcome to San Antonio! The NISD (Northside Independent School District) and NEISD (North East Independent School District) school districts have excellent reputations and a good range of housing options in the areas they serve - cost, style, and commute to wherever you and your spouse may be working. In general, I think all of the family-oriented folks that I know that have moved to San Antonio from Dallas have found it to be a good move into these 2 school districts.

There are also other very good school districts that tend to be a bit more upscale (e.g. Boerne, Alamo Heights) and others that are a bit more rural or more of a commute. It sounds like you live in a suburban area of Dallas, which is why I suggest NISD and NEISD. The schools, housing options, shopping, etc., are pretty comparable to any middle-to-upper-middle class area in Dallas.

If you search by what you want in a school, I think you'll end up looking at neighborhoods that feed into those schools with the characteristics that you want; families, safety, etc. Besides the archives on this forum, you may want to look at greatschools.net, nisd.net, and neisd.net. On greatschools.net, you can compare all of the schools in the San Antonio area by accountability scores and other statistical characteristics - it takes a little while to figure out all of the search capabilities, but its fairly reliable and objective.

You may want to post on this forum a few more specifics on what you are looking for - there are a lot of knowledgeable people who'll respond (i.e. kind of house and neighborhood). There will be a lot of subjective responses, but if you stick to what you care about most - which sounds like your children and their education - you'll be able to see which responses map to what you are looking for in terms of information.

Good luck!

Regards, George IYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio