U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,794 times

Advertisements

How do you know they are of another class? That's an assumption that's not based on fact.

For all you know, it could be the Queen of England and all her merry men collecting these bulk items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
In the city I used to live in, items left at the curb for disposal were considered city property. Taking them or dismantling them was therefore a crime, equivalent to taking or dismantling something from the lobby of city hall.

That's one solution.
Hope not because it would also discourage year-round scavengers and that is how we dispose of heavy items that go on the blink. Put it on the curb and it is gone within hours. No mess for us to store while waiting for city bulky pickups or having to take it to the dump ourselves.

I suppose I can see how it could be a problem for some. A gated community perhaps might be a better solution since we won't have to make new laws and it will also increase business opportunities!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
These people are the poorest of the poor and once again a thread is made just to complain about them.
The "poorest of the poor" typically don't drive pickups. Have you seen the price of gas lately? Give it a rest, for once.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The "poorest of the poor" typically don't drive pickups. Have you seen the price of gas lately? Give it a rest, for once.
Sure some do because I have seen them myself, I filled up two days ago, and there is nothing to give a rest as we are all here to share our views.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
The Supreme Court has ruled that trash left on the curbside is “readily accessible to animals, children, scavengers, snoops, and other members of the public” and that “the trash there expressly so that the trash collector, a stranger, could take it” (California vs. Greenwood).

So there are no expectations of ownership or privacy once you place these items on the curb.

About the only way to counter this is to put the items out as close to the expected pick-up time as possible, otherwise there is nothing anyone can do about these people salvaging.

By the way, in Germany this is known as "junking" and it is common for people to put out large items several days in advance of the pick-up so others can go through it. However, making a mess out of the items is inconsiderate.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Sure some do because I have seen them myself, I filled up two days ago, and there is nothing to give a rest as we are all here to share our views.
No, you're trying to make the thread into a class warfare game. Stop. It's not about that.

I actually paid a handyman to remove an old unit from the side of my house that the previous owners had installed for the hot tub. It was a heavy metal unit so he scored nicely. I paid him, then he and his helper put it into their pickup (poor thing ) and drove it down to the recycling center on Grissom and got some more money. I was just happy the eyesore was gone.

There are jobs out there......it's excellent that people can think out of the box, and they're not afraid to get a little dirty.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No, you're trying to make the thread into a class warfare game. Stop. It's not about that.

I actually paid a handyman to remove an old unit from the side of my house that the previous owners had installed for the hot tub. It was a heavy metal unit so he scored nicely. I paid him, then he and his helper put it into their pickup (poor thing ) and drove it down to the recycling center on Grissom and got some more money. I was just happy the eyesore was gone.

There are jobs out there......it's excellent that people can think out of the box, and they're not afraid to get a little dirty.

No one is making it into that except those who keep complaining about others not of their social class.

Simply observing that others are complaining and posting about it is a reaction and not the catalyst.

The catalyst is those who think this forum is a complaint board about other sides of town and those who live in them. Yeah, they should stop that.

I have also seen the craiglist ads for those who will haul away items, for free if salvageable, we called them once when no one picked up what we left out. As already stated it is a tough job to take stuff apart and get at the good stuff. I don't mind calling but I'd rather just toss it to the curb and look out later on that day and see it already gone.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,842,774 times
Quote:
No one is making it into that except those who keep complaining about others not of their social class.

Simply observing that others are complaining and posting about it is a reaction and not the catalyst.

The catalyst is those who think this forum is a complaint board about other sides of town and those who live in them. Yeah, they should stop that.

I have also seen the craiglist ads for those who will haul away items, for free if salvageable, we called them once when no one picked up what we left out. As already stated it is a tough job to take stuff apart and get at the good stuff. I don't mind calling but I'd rather just toss it to the curb and look out later on that day and see it already gone.

It's a pain to debate with you.

You are 100% wrong on this issues.

I have multiply friends that go around and collect this "trash" and scrap it or use it. They are by no way poor or the poorest of the poor they simply do it because growing up (in a middle class household) there family took them to do it.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It's a pain to debate with you.
You got that right. Just reading his posts makes my head hurt.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM

993 posts, read 2,188,403 times
The other day was our neighborhoods bulky pickup. An old early 90s model Ford pickup pulling a crappy trailer with no license plate pulled up to one of my neighbors and picked up their ADT security sign laying out on the sidewalk. Definitely a good find for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio