U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 12,463 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to San Antonio and I am looking for a nice apartment in a good part of town. Want a 2 bedroom that was build or updated in the last couple of years. Currently living in Oregon and I am not sure what the price ranges are in SA. Looking online is always hard I do like the looks of the Vista Ridge Apartments just past the 1604 however been seeing some post about crime. I want a safe place to live where I don't have to worry about having some one barge in and rob you in your own home. Looking for 2 bedroom under $1,500 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,546,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaLance View Post
I am relocating to San Antonio and I am looking for a nice apartment in a good part of town. Want a 2 bedroom that was build or updated in the last couple of years. Currently living in Oregon and I am not sure what the price ranges are in SA. Looking online is always hard I do like the looks of the Vista Ridge Apartments just past the 1604 however been seeing some post about crime. I want a safe place to live where I don't have to worry about having some one barge in and rob you in your own home. Looking for 2 bedroom under $1,500 per month.
Unfortunately, property crime is pretty high in San Antonio. Advice is to purchase a gun (for times when you are at home), have a good home alarm system (big dog would help too)and make your home tougher (less attractive) than the others around it to break into.
That being said, SA is a sprawling city and we need to know if/where you'll be working in order to better help you. Need good schools?
Crime happens everywhere...and it's always best to be on guard.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
With that price you could rent a very nice house. However, I do understand that you don't know housing prices in SA.

Search within zip codes 78257, 78258, 78259, 78261, 78248, 78230 and 78231 to be in the Stone Oak area.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM

172 posts, read 201,431 times
I would try to stay out of the Stone Oak area, you are definitely going to pay a premium to live in a densely populated area with a lot of traffic. You can get just as nice of an area without the traffic and the price. I would say, look for apartments inside the 1604 loop, north of the 410 loop, between the 10 and 281 freeways, you can look a little further east of 281 to about Walzem before you start running into crime issues. I'll post a few links to a few apartments in my area which has pretty low crime and good availability to a lot of things.

Home Page
Luxury Apartment Homes in North Central San Antonio
Apartments in San Antonio, TX :: Remington Apartment Homes - Apartments For Rent

Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Wow thank you for all your help. I will check out those zip codes along with the provided links. I have visited San Antonio many times and love it there so that is why we are thinking of relocating. Now I'm just trying to get a feel for the Auto industry down there. I am looking more for the Chevrolet lineup as I have worked for them for almost 10 years now. By the numbers for top 250 dealers it looks like Ancira Chevrolet, Gunn Chevrolet and Freedom are the top along with some times Tom Benson. But not sure if anyone on here would know which one is the best to work for etc..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,077,375 times
Stay out of Stone Oak. Totally overrun with yuppies and their families and their cars and their schools thinking this is a great place to live. Which in turn is attracting questionable characters doing questionable things there too. Try just north of 410 loop but well inside the 1604 loop.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM

500 posts, read 796,897 times
There's nothing wrong with Stone Oak, other than some traffic congestion during rush hour. It's just your typical suburban area. Not sure where the previous poster is coming from. I live 15 miles north of it, but I'm in the area several times a week for shopping, doctor visits, etc... Seems a nice place to live.

Of course, nothing wrong with the area between 410 and 1604, provided you avoid the sketchy areas. There aren't a lot of them, and they are obvious when visited. 78232 and zips closer to 1640 would be safer.

I can't speak to the employment virtues of any of the auto dealerships. We've purchased cars from Ancira Chevrolet, and it was a pleasant experience both times we visited there. I know Tom Benson is also highly thought of as well.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
78240 zip Boardwalk Med Center. Nice apartments, reasonably priced, decent staff, and a safe area.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM

52 posts, read 79,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Stay out of Stone Oak. Totally overrun with yuppies and their families and their cars and their schools thinking this is a great place to live. Which in turn is attracting questionable characters doing questionable things there too. Try just north of 410 loop but well inside the 1604 loop.
idk about overrun, but there IS a lot of traffic out in stone oak. YMMV though.

the outskirts of 78209 are good also. there is a nice neighborhood and some apartments on north vandiver and around that area that are well within your budget, the neighborhood is super friendly, nice looking and overall a decent place to set up camp.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all of the advice looking online looks like you all have given me some great options. We are looking forward to make a trip down this spring to look around the area and meet with a couple of dealerships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or