Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM

172 posts, read 238,562 times

Advertisements

So happy you said she went to Chicago and not Southern California, Cramowheat. So Cal is the land of entitlement. I still know people my age who live at home, with college degrees, lol. It's not as bad here is San Antonio believe it or not, but I do see that higher education is not as important here, but at the same time, there are not as many white collar jobs here as other cities that would require a college degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Welp. I could ask the same question about guys. Where do I find a guy that isn't a mechanic, in construction/building industry or in sales with a BA/BS?
Ain't that the truth. Took me ages to find someone who had a graduate degree... My preference is being with someone who I could tell university stories to and they'd understand. You don't come out of undergrad with a double major in 2.5 years and then directly into business school at 20 without a few stories to share with the one you date/love.

Again, that's my personal want/need. Those who don't take the higher education route, that's their prerogative. Not better, not worse... Just different.

BN

Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
I agree with you, ashbeeigh... just reading through the comments, I have to laugh. Our daughter, who wanted to live here and be close to us, moved away last fall because she could not stand her "peer group" (late 20's) in SA. She is independent, has had her own place since 18, and is almost done with her graduate degree.
She found the local men here to be unmotivated, to put it nicely. Most still live at home in mom's basement, depend on their parents for money, and their idea of a date was going to bars. A couple tried to get her to let them move in with her while they "looked for better jobs and found a career." No way was she going for that. I didn't raise a fool to let some loser live off of her. So, she's back near Chicago loving life and depending on herself.

Wow. I'm still trying to find my "group" but I'm quite shy and have a hard time just going out there. I've found volunteering has helped a bit. Perhaps volunteering is an option for the OP as well.

I'm glad your daughter is happy in Chicago!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
So Cal is the land of entitlement.
Really now, there's no need for brash generalizations. I might not like SoCal either, but I do think it also has its fair share of positives. Equal or worse things could be said about Dallas, Houston and Austin in terms of entitled youth and unearned power.

BN

Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,517 times
According to this article, the poster shouldn't have to look beyond his bartender, waitress or checkout girl:

Overeducated and underemployed - Economy

Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
As someone (in my early 30s) who is working towards their Masters and has a hubby and 6 years who has some college and is in IT, I can relate to your dilemma. I think there are plenty of young ladies that are looking for someone who can contribute to the relationship: financially, emotionally, culturally, etc. Sometimes that young gal or guy may or may not have a college degree. We (hubby and I) found each other online on a dating site and grew up in the same neighborhood. My hubby can definitely hold his own on a conversation regarding technology, societal issues, politics, religions, etc., etc.
I would recommend a dating site and look at the young gal's profile and what she talks about. My hubby had a great profile with great sentence structure, lol. That's what I liked about him even though he's not your GQ model but still very cute.
I found dating online much easier because I didn't go to the usual hang outs like happy hour or bars/dance clubs and the usual. You can also filter your results by criteria. I also had the preference to meet someone with a college degree but as I got older, that seemed to be of less importance as it became more important was the type of person I was going to be with as a whole. Good luck out there!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM

172 posts, read 238,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Really now, there's no need for brash generalizations. I might not like SoCal either, but I do think it also has its fair share of positives. Equal or worse things could be said about Dallas, Houston and Austin in terms of entitled youth and unearned power. BN
Grew up there, lived there up until 5 years ago. Not necessarily brash generalizations, but it is the land of entitlement, I have a right to say it because i spent the first 25 years of my life there and no for a fact. Yes there are the 10% of people that like to work hard, but that's it. I couldn't stand it anymore and would never raise my daughter there.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM

501 posts, read 949,154 times
So is ANYONE going to actually answer the OP? I think one post out of the sea of anecdotes and self-important opinions actually tried to answer the OP's question. SMH

Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I've lived in Austin, now in San Antonio, in a similar situation to yours, and I can tell you it is just impossible here. Hopefully I am going to get out of here in a few years. Trinity University is about as close to what you can find in UT Austin in terms of the educated types, other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Eh. Yeah. I don't really care for downtown San Antonio. It's pretty bad frankly and too far from where most people live who actually are educated in the city. Trinity is a little bubble compared to north sa.

single moms
bartenders
waiters
and soon to be single moms

Seem to be the bread and butter of this city. I can't tell if that's because of all the military or what but it's bad. I can certainly see from this thread why degreed people just let such types bicker among themselves with their speeches while they pack up and leave the city lol (taking their $$$ with them).

It's an amusing experience nonetheless. Living in San Antonio is like going back 50-100 years in social progress compared to Austin it sorta feels. Less is more here you get the feeling and not in a good way. Ignorance is elevated.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
I stand by my old ideas, but here are a few more.

Pecha Kucha night in San Antonio brings out a great, educated, culturally aware crowd, heavily populated by young architects, artists, etc.

PechaKucha 20x20 - San Antonio

Downtown, The Esquire is an excellent bar. On some nights (weekends, especially), it can get quite packed. Diverse crowd. First Thursdays (or Fridays) at Blue Star can also be pretty good.

Art openings, concerts, lectures at one of the local universities--you have a lot of options.

If you're more "professional" in orientation, perhaps there's someone out there for you in the Stone Oak area, but that's very, very far from my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio